Trading non-factor players for difference makers

*M*J*D*

Mar 9, 2003
Regina, Sask, CANADA
I have always been a fan of Eberle, and didn't ever imagine the day where I might consider trading him, but with this concept of having difference makers on your team it makes me more open to the idea.

MacT talked last year about having too many players on the 3rd and 4th lines that were a non-factor, and didn't contribute to the team consistently in ways other than on the scoreboard. I think this is still a huge issue with our team on the scoring lines as well as the defense.

How many players do we have on the top 2 lines and defense that impact that game if they aren't getting any points that game?

When we are making trades now to improve that team it seems to be a must to acquire people who aren't passengers, we need difference makes. People like Lucic, Simmons and Glencross, not people like Stafford. People who can push the play and contribute in ways other than JUST scoring goals.

Last night I was thinking about playoff scenarios, and in a 7 game series where your best player might score 3-4 goals, how else is he contributing in ways that help the team be successful. Winning isn't just about scoring points. We need to move out people who are passengers asap.

How do you feel?

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
So I take it you're suggesting Eberle is not a difference maker unless he is getting points?

I do see what you're saying at times, and I've certainly been ragging on Ebs a lot this year, but he does put up an awful lot of points (and consistently too). I think you could maybe make this claim about a guy who is putting up 40-45 pts and doing nothing else to help the team, but Ebs is a 65-70 pt player. Sure I'd like him to be more engaged physically and stop on the occasional puck instead of coasting etc, but nonetheless he does the hardest thing to do in the game (score) and does it well.

Also a good look at some of Eberle's underlying numbers http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...s-should-be-reluctant-to-trade-jordan-eberle/

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
So I take it you're suggesting Eberle is not a difference maker unless he is getting points?

I do see what you're saying at times, and I've certainly been ragging on Ebs a lot this year, but he does put up an awful lot of points (and consistently too). I think you could maybe make this claim about a guy who is putting up 40-45 pts and doing nothing else to help the team, but Ebs is a 65-70 pt player. Sure I'd like him to be more engaged physically and stop on the occasional puck instead of coasting etc, but nonetheless he does the hardest thing to do in the game (score) and does it well.

Also a good look at some of Eberle's underlying numbers http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...s-should-be-reluctant-to-trade-jordan-eberle/
There is a noticeable slump in his game this year, injury? perhaps. I can't help but think that if we had a stronger winger with Hall and Nuge that line would tear it up. Ebs has world class hands but lacks a little compete right now, as do a lot of the Oilers:(

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
There is a noticeable slump in his game this year, injury? perhaps. I can't help but think that if we had a stronger winger with Hall and Nuge that line would tear it up. Ebs has world class hands but lacks a little compete right now, as do a lot of the Oilers:(

I would have to agree with the bolded statement. I think when you look at say the "wagon" line vs the top line, they can at times be a much more effective line (although clearly lack elite offense/finishing ability) because they close on the puck and drive the forcheck so well. Any given player on that line can bust up the play, and create a turnover/regain possession very quickly on the cycle. Hall/Nuge/Ebs are slick and can make good positional/quick stick plays but they lack a player that can "bust" (for a lack of a better term) up the play.

Maybe it's just me but it seems this year they are having a more difficult time than usual. They used to prey on teams (remember them putting on a clinic against Weber/Suter??), and this season they often have trouble even getting the puck off the perimeter! I guess I chalk this up to teams better preparing for them + not growing their game to combat this? Obviously their quality of competition has steadily increased through each season but even so. I'm not quite sure what it is at this point, but they don't seem to dominate in the same way that they have previously.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00