Value of: Trading John Tavares

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Completely disagree. He’s just overpaid at this point of his career.

He scored 80 points last year, 65 this year. If he was making 3M, people would be praising him.
Exactly. He was given the big deal with the understanding that he would decline at the end of it, and that is what is happening. People who can't recognize this are dumb.

There will be no appetite to trade JT and JT won't want to move.

After his current deal ends, he'll re-sign with the Leafs on a much cheaper deal commensurate with his calibre of play. This is a non-issue.

Reactions: Fatass and wetcoast

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Buying out a contract on the last year of the deal to take a 2 year cap hit rarely makes sense anyway.
Sure it can, for example if JT doesn’t have signing bonus, his buyout is 2.65 million x 2 years.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Sure it can, for example if JT doesn’t have signing bonus, his buyout is 2.65 million x 2 years.

Your math is wrong. On a buyout you pay 2/3rd’s of the cap.

How is that better for the Leafs?

Now they’re without an 65-80 point centre and likely lose Tavares on his next deal too. People ignore the fact that you have to replace Tavares’ production which will likely cost both assets and cap. It’s better to keep him for the year and get him cheaper going forward.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Your math is wrong. On a buyout you pay 2/3rd’s of the cap.

How is that better for the Leafs?

Now they’re without an 65-80 point centre and likely lose Tavares on his next deal too. People ignore the fact that you have to replace Tavares’ production which will likely cost both assets and cap. It’s better to keep him for the year and get him cheaper going forward.

Your wrong, it’s based on salary (signing bonus not included)
I shouldn’t of included the signing bonus, so
it’s not 2.65 million x 2 years
It’s 303 thousand x 2 years.

Cap hit will be a different calculation.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Your wrong, it’s based on salary (signing bonus not included)
I shouldn’t of included the signing bonus, so
it’s not 2.65 million x 2 years
It’s 303 thousand x 2 years.

Cap hit will be a different calculation.

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about his cap hit. His salary is irrelevant.

Anyway - it makes no sense to buy him out because you'd have to replace him anyway. Centres that can produce like him and are as good at faceoffs are not readily available. Eat the 11M for one season, hope he can bounce back (he was an 80 point player just last season) and then re-sign him for less.

The problem is with the cap hit, not with the player. Every team in the league would sign Tavares at a low enough cap hit.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Uhhh… assuming he waives, it would likely be to one team at the TDL or something if the leafs are out of the playoff race next year. So very little value considering the disparity of bargaining positions.

3rd rounder? Maybe 4th? How much did Patrick Kane return for Chicago? Because less than that.

Tavares ain’t even as valuable as an injured Kane when you consider the leadership and experience Kane brings.

Anyway - it makes no sense to buy him out because you'd have to replace him anyway. Centres that can produce like him and are as good at faceoffs are not readily available. Eat the 11M for one season, hope he can bounce back (he was an 80 point player just last season) and then re-sign him for less.

The problem is with the cap hit, not with the player. Every team in the league would sign Tavares at a low enough cap hit.
He’s a solid second line center but will likely be a third liner in year two of his next contract. He’ll likely be signed to a cheap deal elsewhere if Toronto moves on from him.

He’ll be 34 next offseason.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

lol, the discussion I started was on the buyout cost.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Maybe NYI will take him back.. font see anyone else taking a chance.
Maybe To LA for Dubois++?

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
If he waived his NT, he could be traded to a team who wants to hit the floor of the salary cap requirements as his cap hit is very high but the amount another team has to pay him is minimal.

I don't know, for a single season of contract value, he might fetch a 3rd or 4th Rounder. That is how valuable cap space is.
Good luck getting anyone who is still able to play to waive a NTC so they can be traded to a team looking to reach the cap floor.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Good luck with that. does he have a second pair of PJ's he wears. 11 million is simply not moveable. Toronto needs to fix the D and will have some cap space this year. Next year they can be the Pens as to getting to be a cup contender to a degree. Mathews, Nylander, maybe Marner can be a offensive trio that few teams match.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tavares(bonus paid by Leafs) for Skinner and Levi/Kulich. Sabres owner would be having daydreams about getting out of Skinner's contract for under 1M in cash, and a nice, but not elite, prospect.

Leafs... well... would have to really like Levi/Kulich.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Buyout won’t happen because of all the up front signing bonus money,
oh I know it would only clear like 950k or something. maybe less. but the point is thats a big shake up.
if I was MLSE I would
1. fire Shanny
2. fire Keefe and the PP coach (allow my new president power to keep Treliving or sign the GM he prefers)
3. try and get Marner to waive his NTC and if he doesnt I would make it very clear he will not be extended
4. try to trade Tavares and if he says no, then I buy him out (dont really wanna but a big shake up has to happen, if the buy out has more than 1 year cap penalties, then I strip him of his Captaincy)
5. build around Matthews and Nylander
6. retool for 2 or 3 seasons

the only thing I wouldnt touch is the scouting staff

Tavares(bonus paid by Leafs) for Skinner and Levi/Kulich. Sabres owner would be having daydreams about getting out of Skinner's contract for under 1M in cash, and a nice, but not elite, prospect.

Leafs... well... would have to really like Levi/Kulich.
Yeeeeeah right, Buffalo would NEVER trade Kulich for almost UFA Tavares. I seriously doubt they trade Levi either

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Uhhh… assuming he waives, it would likely be to one team at the TDL or something if the leafs are out of the playoff race next year. So very little value considering the disparity of bargaining positions.

3rd rounder? Maybe 4th? How much did Patrick Kane return for Chicago? Because less than that.

Tavares ain’t even as valuable as an injured Kane when you consider the leadership and experience Kane brings.

He’s a solid second line center but will likely be a third liner in year two of his next contract. He’ll likely be signed to a cheap deal elsewhere if Toronto moves on from him.

He’ll be 34 next offseason.
Tavares at half retained at the TDL definitely returns more than a third or fourth, he probably gets the orielly return.

Although I’d doubt leafs don’t make the playoffs next year unless they receive a massive amount of injuries.

Sure they could re-sign him but imo it’s best to move in and make Matthews the captain and replace him either via trade or ufa.

Last edited:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Cons: he f’ed up the leafs rebuild and ruined the internal cap structure. Hated this deal since day 1 for the record.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Maybe NYI will take him back.. font see anyone else taking a chance.
Maybe To LA for Dubois++?
Does this remove duct tape from hockey jersey name plates?

1714446044040.png

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Makes zero sense to trade him on the last year of his contract unless a team takes him for free and even then it doesn’t make much sense.

You trade him and now you have to give up assets to go get a 60+ point centres and those aren’t cheap. You’re better off playing out the year and then re-signing him for what he’s worth for his next contract.

Tavares is more than what his points indicate. Leafs have him in a two way responsible game and he typically takes all the difficult match-ups.

My advice is not to go on a blame game during this latest debacle. The blame should be on the process... the process of taking 8 years to improve the D and goaltending since Matthews was drafted.

Call me crazy but I think you pair Bedard with McDavid for Team Canada and put someone like Tavares on their wing to be the 200' responsible one. People going to laugh at this but IMO, it fits. Tavares is still very effective if used properly and not spread thin. Keefe leans on him heavy for pretty much all assignments and rightly so. Problem is the Leafs need a 3C as well as D/Goaltending improvements. Depth after the core is just brutal.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
I don't see him waiving his NMC in any scenario.

However....if he was traded post July 1st, his bonus is paid by the Leafs ($7,040,000) and he would be an 11M cap hit for a $910k salary. Maybe a cap floor team would be interested in a contract swap?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder if the Leafs might take Price's contract for Tavares - it gives Montreal a good veteran for one season, and gives Toronto cap relief (real dollars are ugly on the Price contract, but Toronto doesn't care).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Exactly. He was given the big deal with the understanding that he would decline at the end of it, and that is what is happening. People who can't recognize this are dumb.

There will be no appetite to trade JT and JT won't want to move.

After his current deal ends, he'll re-sign with the Leafs on a much cheaper deal commensurate with his calibre of play. This is a non-issue.
Yup. Second line centre. Kind of the Kadri contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad