Trading down Good or Bad?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Are you talking about trading the 24th instead of drafting Konecny??

No specific player in mind.

Trading down from 24th got us these players:
Dermott
Bracco
Martins Dzierkals

I know they were rumoured to have liked Jacob Larsson (I don't think they had a lot of interest in Konecny).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If it's a pick outside the top 10, a ram is more likely to get an impact NHler with a pair of 2nds than a mid to late round 1st.

Of course that doesn't take into account players that your scouting staff loves they feel may be taken in that late 1st round.

So it depends I suppose - though with this draft I'm definitely in favour of trading back.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
that's a totally situational question.

If there isn't someone on the board that is jumping out at you based on who you think will go in the next handful of picks then trade down. If you think your guy will be there in a bit then trade down.

If you got a guy you really want go get them and trade up.

It all depends on where the pick is and who's on the board.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Its too early to tell.

If Konecny is a 2nd line winger and Dermott is a 2nd pairing defenseman when all is said and done who wins?

This is my POV exactly. It might not work every time but the thinking is sound. The only issue I see is the team accumulating prospects and bottlenecking the system.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Dermott makes next years team imo.
Fast, high iq, great first pass.

Solid puck mover. Nothing flashy.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm happy with Dermott. The other two are just a bonus.

It's not like Konecny is putting up huge numbers right now or anything. We don't really have any room for him, and we desperately need defenders.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I know its still too early to know precisely (but for those who want to discuss it), is trading down looking like a poor or great decision?

That was a bonus pick anyway! Had it been the only 1st, you likely try to trade the other way.

If you look at the entirety of that transaction -
Was trading Franson and Santorelli worth Leipsic, Dermott, Bracco and Dzierkals? I would have to say HELL YEAH!!!!!

Leafs needed more baskets, not another egg.

But waaayyy too early to tell as in one prospect vs another

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
You can speculate trades up and down all day, you're never going to get a correct answer. You can only look back on these trades in 5-10 years to determine who won. It's probably 50/50 on winners as it's a gamble for both sides.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If were talking about the pick at 24, I wanted Konecky and as nice as he has looked he wouldn't have benefited us as much as a D-man with similar potential.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Babcock said the Leafs thought long about drafting Aho but decided on a defenseman instead.

So if we want to use the hindsight of being able to draft Konecny we should also consider we almost drafted Aho which would have likely been the best outcome of them all.

In that case, I say yes and I said yes regardless because I think trading down in a situation like this is almost always better.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Babcock said the Leafs thought long about drafting Aho but decided on a defenseman instead.

So if we want to use the hindsight of being able to draft Konecny we should also consider we almost drafted Aho which would have likely been the best outcome of them all.

In that case, I say yes and I said yes regardless because I think trading down in a situation like this is almost always better.

Aho would have been a sweet addition but we really need(ed) DMen and we had just taken Marner.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Generally I don't like it because it means that you can't identify BPA so you are giving up. Bit if there really are 15 players that look almost the same (rare but possible), then why not?

However in this specific instance I don't like it. Even after the trade, the apparent BPA(s) Carlo and Aho were both there and they still missed. With the amount of other clubs that passed on those two I guess that shows how unclear things were, but still not IMO a Leafs win unless Dermott makes it big. I like him but he will be in tough to be the top D out of the second round of 2015.

I picked Beauvillier if they retained their pick and totally missed it on Carlo. What no-offense D scores better as a 19 year old pro than in Junior?:)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Heck, we don't even know if Dermott was the best pick at his spot.

Aho 1 pick later, then Carlo, Nutivaara in the 7th. round.

All we can say at this point is Marner is a NHL player and no one else selected by the Leafs in that draft are.

Only 30 players from that draft have any NHL games under their belt.

Much too soon to evaluate.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I have a bad feeling that Larsson may make them regret that decision. Fingers crossed Dermott can make the leap but I am a bit concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad