Proposal: Trades to make the team better

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What I think really annoys me is that I think we could have accomplished that a bit if we were just willing to promote the guys from within who earn it during camp.

On the upside, Quincey's ice time has been slashed from last year in favor of giving Smith more time. A step in the right direction when we're talking about guys who can contribute offensively.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
On the upside, Quincey's ice time has been slashed from last year in favor of giving Smith more time. A step in the right direction when we're talking about guys who can contribute offensively.

Really, it helps Quincey, too. Give that guy too many minutes and he gets exposed. He was getting over 20 last year, including over 18 at ES (led the team there). While he's still getting 19 minutes a night, only 16 1/2 of it is ES. Wouldn't mind seeing that number dip a bit lower, if it could, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Hi friends, Panthers fan here coming in peace. I'm curious with the Campbell-Detroit rumors, how much would the Panthers need to add to get Mantha or Jurco? It seems the Panthers could get Pulkkinen+ for Campbell with some retained, but I'm wondering what the value of Mantha/Jurco is compared to Campbell with money retained.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Hi friends, Panthers fan here coming in peace. I'm curious with the Campbell-Detroit rumors, how much would the Panthers need to add to get Mantha or Jurco? It seems the Panthers could get Pulkkinen+ for Campbell with some retained, but I'm wondering what the value of Mantha/Jurco is compared to Campbell with money retained.

Mantha is pretty much untouchable on these boards. Jurco, I personally wouldn't want to see him go. Think he has a lot of talent and room to grow despite his play this year so far (hasn't really stood out much). Pulks + seems more plausable to me at least.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If I'm trading a Jurco/Mantha level prosepct, it's for a good young defenseman, not Campbell. Personally. And Im a fan of Campbell going back to his Buffalo days.

Given how bad we have seen guys in their 30's game drop off a cliff (Cleary, Weiss) it makes me leery to deal high end prospects for a 35 year old.

Long term we lose that trade no matter what, and we are in the middle of re-tooling.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Mantha is pretty much untouchable on these boards. Jurco, I personally wouldn't want to see him go. Think he has a lot of talent and room to grow despite his play this year so far (hasn't really stood out much). Pulks + seems more plausable to me at least.

I'd love to get Mantha, but can't really fault Detroit for wanting to hang onto him. I think most Panthers fans would be happy to have Pulkkinen on Barkov's wing as both he and this team need a guy who can put the puck in the net (and Pulkkinen has one hell of a shot).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd love to get Mantha, but can't really fault Detroit for wanting to hang onto him. I think most Panthers fans would be happy to have Pulkkinen on Barkov's wing as both he and this team need a guy who can put the puck in the net (and Pulkkinen has one hell of a shot).

I think from your perspective that would make a lot of sense. Barkov and Pulkkinen would probably light it up, which would make me sad, but it would be nice to have someone who can connect on a break out pass and cycle on the PP by the same token.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

As for Campbell, it's just my own theory but I think Holland's kicking at Campbell just to get Buffalo's butt moving. There is no reason to trade for Campbell when Wings are doing the rebuilding themselves as well.

Besides I dont think Campbell is Babcock type of player at all.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
No prospect is untouchable to me. Mantha is on the board if the package nets you a 25-28 year old player who has already established himself in the NHL. Obviously i would like that player to be a defenseman.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think that the Red Wings should push for Larsson in NJ. Big frame, right-handed, good hockey sense and signed for 900K. I think the emergence of Severson, Gelinas and Merrill could make him expendable and he'll cost less than Myers to get.

He's on par with Ouellet, but he's a two-way RHD. Trade Jensen/Backman/Marchenko for him and roll the dice.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If I'm trading a Jurco/Mantha level prosepct, it's for a good young defenseman, not Campbell. Personally. And Im a fan of Campbell going back to his Buffalo days.

Given how bad we have seen guys in their 30's game drop off a cliff (Cleary, Weiss) it makes me leery to deal high end prospects for a 35 year old.

Long term we lose that trade no matter what, and we are in the middle of re-tooling.

I generally agree with this. I'm not saying there isn't a deal I'd make for Campbell since he addresses our biggest need by far. My concern is he becomes Dan Boyle and his play falls off fairly quickly.

Our core is getting very old/injury prone and we need to win now, so I'd be willing to trade for Campbell. The devil is in the details as far as what we'd need to send Florida's way.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I think some player in the long-term, we would need to unload. Like Franzen... As of now, I lean more and more towards do nothing and let the youngsters come up one by one...

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think that the Red Wings should push for Larsson in NJ. Big frame, right-handed, good hockey sense and signed for 900K. I think the emergence of Severson, Gelinas and Merrill could make him expendable and he'll cost less than Myers to get.

He's on par with Ouellet, but he's a two-way RHD. Trade Jensen/Backman/Marchenko for him and roll the dice.

They're going to want a big return for the kid. I dunno.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
No prospect is untouchable to me. Mantha is on the board if the package nets you a 25-28 year old player who has already established himself in the NHL. Obviously i would like that player to be a defenseman.

I get what you're saying but the only type of player I'd trade Mantha for is a DOMINANT established player, like a Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. He has yet to play in the NHL, but the team seems convinced he's going to make the jump, and as long as he's not a bust he will probably become effective very quickly. Unlike other prospects which might take a few years to season, Mantha could become the scoring winger we need within months or a year.

If I'm trading him it's not for a solid all-around established player. A potential franchise player should only be traded for another franchise-caliber player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I get what you're saying but the only type of player I'd trade Mantha for is a DOMINANT established player, like a Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. He has yet to play in the NHL, but the team seems convinced he's going to make the jump, and as long as he's not a bust he will probably become effective very quickly. Unlike other prospects which might take a few years to season, Mantha could become the scoring winger we need within months or a year.

If I'm trading him it's not for a solid all-around established player. A potential franchise player should only be traded for another franchise-caliber player.

No one is going to trade an established star for a potential star.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Never said they would. Just pointing out that it'd be foolish to trade Mantha for anything less.

I disagree. I would be willing to trade him for less than that. Think your bar is a little unreasonably high for him IMO.

Would trade him for an up and coming defrnseman that has similar potential. Something like a Dougie Hamilton.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I still say we need a scoring winger. Our D looks fine and its only going to get better. Trade someone like Jurco + for a right handed scoring winger. Eberle???

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I still say we need a scoring winger. Our D looks fine and its only going to get better. Trade someone like Jurco + for a right handed scoring winger. Eberle???

If we wanted Eberle, Jurco is the +

As in: Eberle for _____ + Jurco (where ____ is the main piece)

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
...Jurco is absolutely the plus. Just because HF logic has deemed him to be Hossa 2.0 doesn't mean he's going to turn out to be that kind of player.

It would take an offer of Nyquist or Mantha + Jurco to pry Eberle away from Edmonton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad