Trades & Proposals Thread 2016... Is it Trade Deadline Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
so with barkov signed to his contract do you think kadri will get +/- 5 mil. its kind of a weird situation. considering how much he signed for. just curious where everyone thinks his value is at now

i'm probably alone on this but i don't want us re-signing kadri. he is a good player, but idk if he's worth a barkov type contract which is what he's going to demand.

5.5M~ per for 5-6 years is very risky for him. i'd be ok if he signed for 4 years @ 4.75M~ per, but i know that won't happen.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I know and agree with you. Faced with the question and a fair deal being put on the table, I would probably in the end, pull the trigger (but not like doing it).

Dallas may be the perfect team to trade with as well, just based on the kind of impact he could make on an already good team. I mean, just imagine we had a team that could score on the PP, the guy would likely be at 30pts right now.

I think it's also what you can create on the power play.

Think about how static the power play looks at times. It's important that you have the quarterback on the power play as well. But I completely agree that the lack of talent on this roster is showing it's true colours and it's not going to be pretty down the stretch.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
i'm probably alone on this but i don't want us re-signing kadri. he is a good player, but idk if he's worth a barkov type contract which is what he's going to demand.

5.5M~ per for 5-6 years is very risky for him. i'd be ok if he signed for 4 years @ 4.75M~ per, but i know that won't happen.

Barkov got an exceptionally good contract because it's eating up all his RFA years. If he had the same number of RFA years remaining as Kadri, he'd be earning 7.5M+.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
24 days, but who's counting?

They won't make a trade during the fathers trip and will likely pick up talks after the all-star break.

I would not doubt some deals are in discussion now and may be finalized at ASG get-togethers.

Any fantasy about the pain being minor has been put to rest at this point of the season. Leafs lose 1 player and fall off the edge.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would not doubt some deals are in discussion now and may be finalized at ASG get-togethers.

Any fantasy about the pain being minor has been put to rest at this point of the season. Leafs lose 1 player and fall off the edge.

ULF make some calls, fire some Emails or send some texts we need a trade by the end of the week.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

If we sign Stamkos and/or win the lottery, I don't see Kadri staying. We can deal him and pick up some nice assets without having to think about a contract.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
If we sign Stamkos and/or win the lottery, I don't see Kadri staying. We can deal him and pick up some nice assets without having to think about a contract.

I say send him anyway. Yes he's a quality NHLer but he's never going to be a #1C. And, yes, he's going to want much more than $4.1M. Let him walk to a contender and see what he can do there. Kadri for Brodin?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd say yes, 2nd. liners can get 5 million per.

And they could lock him up until Nylander and Marner would be getting into their payday scales.

Front load the dollars, and make him moveable in years 4-5 of the contract.

I would rather take the money we are paying Lupul and give it to Kadri.
No more than 5 years though. 5 in the 25 mil is fine. Any term beyond 5 years should be reserved for a no. 1 C and D. Never buy into something you can't move if the build needs to change.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I like Kadri - but i really really hope we win Matthews and can put his contract on the backburner, or low priority list. It means a lot more than just the player, but not having to pay Kadri as a 1C and already having guys that could unseat him as 2C next year (Matthews/Nylander) - it really gives us a 1up to move him for help in other areas, or atleast more controlled $$ assets.

I'd love for him to want 2C money - and want to be here through the build. But I just don't see it working out in the long run. His $$ sets a precedent for our youth coming up, which can be scary.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I would rather take the money we are paying Lupul and give it to Kadri.
No more than 5 years though. 5 in the 25 mil is fine. Any term beyond 5 years should be reserved for a no. 1 C and D. Never buy into something you can't move if the build needs to change.

In my humble opinion there's no point in locking down a #2C long term unless he's a 1BC type player aka he's able to step up and play in the #1 slot if needed. Otherwise the 2C position seems to be very 'developmental' in that it's your tryout position for young players. For contenders its less of an issue but for rebuilding teams like us we should have lots of young players coming up the pipeline. Holland will probably get a look next year, Komarov may also as well, Nylander, Marner, Goose in the 3C, plus possibly whomever we draft in the upcoming draft.

If Kadri wants anything north of $5M for anything longer than 3-4 years, I'd trade him to the highest bidder this year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hi hockey IQ was always in question, and yes he is a great skater. My issue is he is one more concussion away from retirement.

That is so overblown. You could say the same for Nylander as well as probably 100 other NHLrs who have experienced concussions as well if you apply that logic.

The issue with Murphy is that he's just not shown that he can translate his offensive skills to the NHL level enough to offset his defensive weaknesses.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Might be interesting to see something around Kadri & Gardiner for Brodin & Granlund. Maybe Kadri, Gardiner, prospect for Brodin, Granlund, Backstrom, 1st round pick.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Might be interesting to see something around Kadri & Gardiner for Brodin & Granlund. Maybe Kadri, Gardiner, prospect for Brodin, Granlund, Backstrom, 1st round pick.

Minny downgrades Brodin to gardiner and get some cap relief until they have to sign kadri ....for a 1st?

Granlund has 1 less point than kadri

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No idea what to expect at this dead line. Feels like a chore watching the Leafs. I doubt I'll watch them much more until after the deadline, or at least until a lot of these mercenaries are gone.

I understand the process and I definitely respect it, but it's brutal to watch the on ice product right now.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

I doubt we see any trades before the week of the deadline, most of the players were trading are just depth rentals, bottom 6 or bottom pairing players, none of them are real difference makers, those depth players are generally done later nearer to the deadline because there just depth guys teams wait to the last day or 2 to acquire them because there's really not much point in getting them say a week before the deadline because that cost them extra money to do so. and there basically there incase of an Injury after the deadline and to add depth. if we have any trades that are early I would expect it to be a Bozak/Komarov/Kadri/Phaneuf type of deal, which I don't expect to happen. As I dont think any of those guys get moved. the only exception might be Reimer if a teams starter goes down to injury.

as for the current Kadri discussion, I wouldn't want to sign him long term even at 5 million per which I doubt he would sign long term for that AAV anyways. as I believe only core pieces of your team should recieve long term deals 4+ year deal and I don't believe Kadri is that, I think he's a place holder. and if I could move him for a quality young Dmen I would absolutely make that deal.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I'd say yes, 2nd. liners can get 5 million per.

And they could lock him up until Nylander and Marner would be getting into their payday scales.

Front load the dollars, and make him moveable in years 4-5 of the contract.

5 x 5 or a bit less is the type of deal I'd expect Kadri to get and around that range is fair for both sides. He could be a long term piece or potentially just a buffer for the youngsters for a few years. We can't just throw every youngster right onto the 1st line.

Bryan Little got 4.7 x 5 years and Derek Brassard got 5 x 5 around the same age as Kadri is and with similar pedigrees. Little and Brassard signing those 5 years contracts bought up 1 RFA year and 4 UFA years.

Keeping Kadri also lets us deal out Bozak.

I'm not outright opposed to dealing Kadri this off-season but he won't bring nearly the return people expect especially if his contract demands are high.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I don't think we will see any trades over the next few days, it would be bad Form, to make a trade while the Players and their Fathers, are on sort of a holiday trip to Florida.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Minny downgrades Brodin to gardiner and get some cap relief until they have to sign kadri ....for a 1st?

Granlund has 1 less point than kadri

Granlund has 1 less point playing top-6 minutes on a team with what I think you'll agree are somewhere between 'significantly' and 'extremely' better linemates. And yes, he has 1 less point.

I think Kadri's a clear upgrade on Granny. They're having trouble scoring and an OFD Gardiner will help more than Brodin. The balancers are in the prospect we send and their 1st.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad