GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
#1 Priority July 1st signing: Jake McCabe.
His play this year has reminded me a lot of Muzzin. Just a solid 2-way dman that can matchup with anybody due to being a competent skater and physical player.

His breakout passes seem a lot better than last year in addition to an overall improvement in offense and less mistakes in the D zone.

Reactions: SprDaVE

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
On this team, he is 3-4, but that's indicative of how shallow the D core is.

Those other trades are not very good, though. Manson is the only one where I think if you took him out, that team's group would actually lose something.

Again, for me, it's too steep of a price for him. No one here would trade Cowan for McCabe, and that's the kind of player you're hoping for with the first.
See, I'm perfectly fine with him in the 3 spot, problem is the 2 and 4 are missing. I guess we just fundamentally disagree on how good of player he is, because while I would not trade Cowan (he's got that hint of being something special), but I would have traded Sandin last year (and posted about doing so (I thought I did but can't find it),and I would gladly have traded a 1st+2nd for Make JcCabe with two more years at 2m this deadline. Another dman of that calibre would make a big difference.

Re the pick expectation

Dmen picked in the back half of the 1st

2015- Chabot / Juulsen / Larsson/ Carlsson
2016 -Chrychrun / Fabbro / Stanley/ Cholowski / Johansen
2017- Valimaki / Liljegren / Vaakanian / Joseph / Jokiharju
2018 - Smith/ Merkley / Miller /Beaudin /Lundqvist/ Sandin /Alexeyev
2019 - Harley / Thomson /Heinola / Bjornfot / Johnson

The odds of drafting a d man in the back of the 1st that can give you 3 years of 20min a night physical mid pair D is not high, and the odds of them doing it on their ELC/ cheaper than 2m is even lower.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
See, I'm perfectly fine with him in the 3 spot, problem is the 2 and 4 are missing. I guess we just fundamentally disagree on how good of player he is, because while I would not trade Cowan (he's got that hint of being something special), but I would have traded Sandin last year (and posted about doing so),and I would gladly have traded a 1st+2nd for Make JcCabe with two more years at 2m this deadline. Another dman of that calibre would make a big difference.

Re the pick expectation

Dmen picked in the back half of the 1st

2015- Chabot / Juulsen / Larsson/ Carlsson
2016 -Chrychrun / Fabbro / Stanley/ Cholowski / Johansen
2017- Valimaki / Liljegren / Vaakanian / Joseph / Jokiharju
2018 - Smith/ Merkley / Miller /Beaudin /Lundqvist/ Sandin /Alexeyev
2019 - Harley / Thomson /Heinola / Bjornfot / Johnson

The odds of drafting a d man in the back of the 1st that can give you 3 years of 20min a night physical mid pair D is not high, and the odds of them doing it on their ELC/ cheaper than 2m is even lower.
Well Carlo was pick in the beginning of the 2nd round.

I do get your point and I agree.

Reactions: 4thline

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sure where else to put this.

""

Yes, but Zadorov is better than Edmundson by a margin.

I suppose it depends on how drastic the changes are for the team, for this cost to matter.

I'd bet anything they sign him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure where else to put this.

""

Yes, but Zadorov is better than Edmundson by a margin.

I suppose it depends on how drastic the changes are for the team, for this cost to matter.

I'd bet anything they sign him.

RE: Coaching this off-season

Any of Q, Cooper or Sullivan is fine.

If Rod is there, of course I am fine with that but I suspect that Cooper and Rod stay with their teams.

The only candidate I would be pissed off at is Berube, like the coaching equivalent of hiring Treliving where it's underwhelming. In fact Berube would be downright stupid, sub .500 coaching record outside of the lightning in a bottle stretch with the blues when they won a cup, you can fold the franchise basically.

Reactions: ACC1224

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

If Rod is there, of course I am fine with that but I suspect that Cooper and Rod stay with their teams.

The only candidate I would be pissed off at is Berube, like the coaching equivalent of hiring Treliving where it's underwhelming. In fact Berube would be downright stupid, sub .500 coaching record outside of the lightning in a bottle stretch with the blues when they won a cup, you can fold the franchise basically.

Q would be like hiring Mike Babcock right now, a media circus disaster and distraction (but different reasons) and I don't even think he's cleared to coach by the NHL. Cooper ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Sullivan is still employed last I checked and nothing so far with a change there.

If we make a coaching change, we need to hire someone and it probably won't be someone with a great resume. Berube has experience and seems well liked. A cup ring is a cup ring. If he's a terrible option and the options you listed aren't available... the list is pretty bad anyway right?

Bruce Cassidy loses in the first or 2nd round almost every season with Boston before moving on to Vegas and winning a cup. Paul Maurice was also having a rough time after his run with Carolina -- goes to Florida randomly and is coaching a cup favourite. Rick Tocchet had an awful record with ARI and TBL (1 playoffs in 7 seasons) and was a TV analyst before going to Vancouver and he's pushed them into 1st in the Pacific and on the verge of going to the 2nd round.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Ron is overrated. The canes have had superteams the last few years and have choked. How come they don't get called out?

They got swept by Florida last year. COuldn't even win one

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

There is no chance MLSE wants Q.

I don't want Q here either.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Would love Zadorov but for less than 5 mill

This team already has 3 LHD for next season. We really don't need an expensive version of Benoit. I like him in a vacuum but this team needs more RHD and spending that valuable cap space else where, especially with hopefully some offence to their game.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Too bad the Wild are in cap hell. I would've loved a Marner for Faber trade
lol dude and there’s no chance like ever are wild trading farber! Maybe in your fantasy world would you think wild would ever consider trading the only good young d they have and Minnesota boy. lol wild wouldn’t ever want marner with bill guerin as gm anyway

Reactions: ToneDog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Leafs need more puck movement on the back end.. but ultimately if they re-up Boosh and Edmunson, I'd try to pursue Roy

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Boosh
Edmunson
Timmins

Not bad.

Feasible and not that bad. Pretty much what we have now but with Roy. I'm not sure if Edmundson will take that kind of press box role or cheap money to be in that role... he's only 30 years old. So he's probably looking at a sizeable deal.

I'd rather target Montour myself because he's got a lot more offense to his game but Roy should be cheaper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad