GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
That's fair. I'd expect a fairly similar return to the Tkachuk trade. Hopefully it doesn't include a 10.5M Huberdeau level player though.

But I hope he stays. The new coach can probably unlock something here.
Ya know….I didn’t mind that trade at the time and under the circumstances. It’s the extensions that rubbed me the wrong way. To me the better choice woulda been to double down on trades to maximize the value. If it comes down to that, that would be my hope.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ya know….I didn’t mind that trade at the time and under the circumstances. It’s the extensions that rubbed me the wrong way. To me the better choice woulda been to double down on trades to maximize the value. If it comes down to that, that would be my hope.

It is pretty wild the Panthers were able to trade a legitimate top pair defenseman and a 115 point player, and they got even better in time. They almost flubbed it last year to be fair, but they've been dominant since making the playoffs.

Reactions: aingefan

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
That's fair. I'd expect a fairly similar return to the Tkachuk trade. Hopefully it doesn't include a 10.5M Huberdeau level player though.

But I hope he stays. The new coach can probably unlock something here.
Would Marner not be the Huberdeau in a Tkachuk trade? Pending UFA winger that the team wants to move on from because they know the player won't live up to their next contract?

Using the Tkachuk trade as a template it would be something like: Marner (Huberdeau)+McCabe (Weegar)+1st for Dobson.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I mean end of the day if we are trading him probably have to go in eye's wide open we aren't going to get comparable value back. Marner can essentially control where he goes and if not we lose him for nothing in a year.
There’s ways to play this to get a buy in, if that’s the way it goes.

Mitch has been treated well by this organization in the end.

He felt slighted by not getting the bonus structure he wanted; I think that was corrected in his current contract, making it appear like an overpay.

Babcock cleared out, he’s supported by the team.

Gets to play with amazing players in all situations. That helps his future earnings.

If he’s a reasonable guy, he’d at least help the process.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Would Marner not be the Huberdeau in a Tkachuk trade? Pending UFA winger that the team wants to move on from because they know the player won't live up to their next contract?

Using the Tkachuk trade as a template it would be something like: Marner (Huberdeau)+McCabe (Weegar)+1st for Dobson.

Huberdeau was barely a PPG player for most of his career. Marner has been a 90+ (or on pace) player since his sophmore season.

The contract situation is similar to Huberdeau but their abilities are not at all the same to me.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd expect Lily will likely be moved this summer. There not going to keep a guy they just scratched a couple years in a row in the playoffs

I wouldn't expect anybody to be back except for Rielly, McCabe and Benoit obviously. Maybe Timmins sticks around as a depth guy. They desperately need to upgrade their RHDs.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Huberdeau was barely a PPG player for most of his career. Marner has been a 90+ (or on pace) player since his sophmore season.

The contract situation is similar to Huberdeau but their abilities are not at all the same to me.
The contract was the reason for the trade. Tkachuk was an RFA, Huberdeau was a pending UFA which forced the overpayment. I agree Marner is better than Huberdeau but Huberdeau was also coming off 115 points which Marner has never come close to and he finished 5th in hart trophy voting that season - something Marner has never come close to.

Marner is the Huberdeau in a Tkachuk/Huberdeau deal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The contract was the reason for the trade. Tkachuk was an RFA, Huberdeau was a pending UFA which forced the overpayment. I agree Marner is better than Huberdeau but Huberdeau was also coming off 115 points which Marner has never come close to and he finished 5th in hart trophy voting that season - something Marner has never come close to.

I see your point. While I disagree because the situations are different (Tkachuk asked out not Huberdeau, etc), I do think it will be a similar situation IF (and that's a big if) Leaf want to move Marner and if he agrees to waive for a specific amount of teams, it will be tough to find a return we're happy with.

There are too many ifs and buts for this to happen to me. So this is why it's probably better to switch out the coaches, keep making changes that are hopefully bigger/better and then the Leafs can let him walk if it's the same issue.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Marner is also what, 3 or 4 years younger. Plus an extra year of term.

I get the premise of using the other trade as a potential framing, but Marner should hold more value

Reactions: kb and SprDaVE

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

In the 3 seasons before being traded, Huberdeau was the 3rd leading scorer in the league, behind only McDavid and Draisaitl. Right behind him were Matthews, Panarin, and MacKinnon.

Last 3 seasons, Marner is 11th.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Imagine if Utah would grab a verified 1st. Team all-star for their new franchise?

Tavares and/or Marner to Utah for some picks and prospects. Utah gets immediate upgrade in talent and name value while filling up a massive deficit in cap space. Leafs make a statement change to roster construction and it’s leadership. Go after the plethora of dmen available this summer.

(If only those two guys would waive)

Reactions: aingefan

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
New coach and president will restore some faith. My guess is there will be a lot of smoke around Doug Armstrong to replace Shanahan.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Trading JT and Marner and retooling the team sounds like a fun off-season plan if the Leafs don't right the ship. Trade Marner with an extension in place to maximize value.

They could do a lot with that cap space and the assets returned.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Trading JT and Marner and retooling the team sounds like a fun off-season plan if the Leafs don't right the ship. Trade Marner with an extension in place to maximize value.

They could do a lot with that cap space and the assets returned.

I honestly can't find one team that can make a Marner deal work. The team has to want him, AND Marner has to want to go there, AND they need a huge amount of available cap space. Unless Marner just wants to go anywhere, I don't see a match.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I honestly can't find one team that can make a Marner deal work. The team has to want him, AND Marner has to want to go there, AND they need a huge amount of available cap space. Unless Marner just wants to go anywhere, I don't see a match.
New league entries Utah and Seattle may have a desire to improve right away. One of the California teams could have space and are nice places to live.

Washington to play with Ovechkin? Pittsburgh to play with Sid? Chicago to play with Bedard?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t think JT and MM will waive. It is really another year of this and hope it gets better in 25/26 season, when guys like Knies, Cowan, Minten, McMann and even Robbie can contribute regularly.

New league entries Utah and Seattle may have a desire to improve right away. One of the California teams could have space and are nice places to live.

Washington to play with Ovechkin? Pittsburgh to play with Sid? Chicago to play with Bedard?
Caps seems the most likely for MM.
Penns is willing to trade EK
Hawks makes a lot of sense but not sure would Leafs get anything back.

JT won’t waive.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'd expect Lily will likely be moved this summer. There not going to keep a guy they just scratched a couple years in a row in the playoffs
Lily for Fabbro. Both keep getting scratched so maybe starts somewhere else and new coaches will work wonders for both. Try to get Glass while we're at it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

We don’t have to be the team to get him on his longterm destination, he can pad his stats on a bottom feeder and they can flip him at 50% or less to wherever he wants to sign. 775k real money owed after July 1st and potentially a sub-3mil mcap for a playoff run on double retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad