GDT: Trades & Free Agency

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
From what we've seen of him it makes you wonder how he never sticks around very long where ever he ends up.

I think he likes a big market to play in and hasn't gotten that often and you need to be careful the $/term you give him.

I don't think I can go much more than 2-3 years and $3-3.5M on him, he can live up to that contract but as you go beyond that, you'll start to be less tolerant of the flaws etc.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I like them too.. but there just isn't the money to sign them both, and upgrade the D, unless we offload one of Marner/Nylander/Tavares. Depending on how the rest of the playoffs go, maybe there is a conversation to be had on that, but for now.... no.
Yep, never know what tomorrow brings never mind the offseason but I really appreciate watching them

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I noticed Kapanen is a pending free agent. He's had it rough last few years, but I wonder if there's a shot that the Leafs could bring him back on a cheap 1-2 year deal. He can probably be a solid depth player and rejuvenate his career a bit.
His hockey IQ is non existent, he's rather poor defensively. I was so happy when they finally dumped him and got peak value.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Re-Sign:
Max Domi - 4 x $3,350,000​
Tyler Bertuzzi - 4 x $5,000,000​
Timothy Liljegren - 3 x $3,200,000​
Ilya Samsonov - 2 x $3,350,000​
Sign:
Nikita Zadorov - 5 x $4,000,000​
Liam O'Brien - 3 x $1,100,000​
Brandon Duhaime - 3 x $1,100,000​
Trade:

Mitch Marner - For - Noah Dobson​
Nick Robertson, Calle Jarnkrok, 1st 2024 - For - Travis Konecny​
Kampf - For - Future Considerations​
Lines:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi​
Knies - Nylander - Konecny​
Minten - Tavares - McMann​
O'Brien - Holmberg - Duhaime​
Reaves​
Zadorov - Dobson​
Rielly - - Liljegren​
Benoit - - McCabe​
Timmins​
Sammy/Woll​
Zadorov, a bottom pairing D man, on your first pair.... I mean... wow.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
His hockey IQ is non existent, he's rather poor defensively. I was so happy when they finally dumped him and got peak value.

You wouldn't sign him to be in a big role. Mostly depth on a cheap 1 year deal type of thing. Like a Gregor or something.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think you can resign one of Bert or Domi but I don't think you can have both and fill the holes that need filling

The defense needs massive upgrades, a good 1a or 1b goalie and a 3C that can move up to 2C if JT continues to fall off are vital

Cowan and Grebyonkin could both be fighting for spots next season, combined with all our other young guys so I'd be trying to move money from the wing to other positions

Listen on Jarnkrok, let Bert walk, trade a young forward with a pick to fill one of the holes cheaply rather than through UFA

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I think you can resign one of Bert or Domi but I don't think you can have both and fill the holes that need filling

The defense needs massive upgrades, a good 1a or 1b goalie and a 3C that can move up to 2C if JT continues to fall off are vital

Cowan and Grebyonkin could both be fighting for spots next season, combined with all our other young guys so I'd be trying to move money from the wing to other positions

Listen on Jarnkrok, let Bert walk, trade a young forward with a pick to fill one of the holes cheaply rather than through UFA

If you list the number of young wingers currently fighting for spots and add the ones in the pipeline who could be fighting for spots next season, there is a basically an overload of young wingers and not enough spots. If you can swap some of them for equivalent talents in other positions of need, then fine. But it is an unlikely outcome.

It is just not good roster management to extend players in overcrowded positions and make the situation worse. Those young players basically get blocked from making the jump and are then traded for cents on the dollar.

Many posters aren't just logical about this.

Reactions: Kiwi and Kurtz

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Re-Sign:
Max Domi - 4 x $3,350,000​
Tyler Bertuzzi - 4 x $5,000,000​
Timothy Liljegren - 3 x $3,200,000​
Ilya Samsonov - 2 x $3,350,000​
Sign:
Nikita Zadorov - 5 x $4,000,000​
Liam O'Brien - 3 x $1,100,000​
Brandon Duhaime - 3 x $1,100,000​
Trade:

Mitch Marner - For - Noah Dobson​
Nick Robertson, Calle Jarnkrok, 1st 2024 - For - Travis Konecny​
Kampf - For - Future Considerations​
Lines:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi​
Knies - Nylander - Konecny​
Minten - Tavares - McMann​
O'Brien - Holmberg - Duhaime​
Reaves​
Zadorov - Dobson​
Rielly - - Liljegren​
Benoit - - McCabe​
Timmins​
Sammy/Woll​
Worst case, let Mitch walk and spend that 12m on mulitple D UFA's.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
This team needs a real #1 dman. There hasn't been one in at least 3 decades.

Rielly is a great player. But he's just not capable of anchoring a D corps to a Cup. That much is clear.
I think he is, maybe not the highest tier, but when the rest of the group is likely in the bottom 3rd in the league, comparatively, it will stand out more.

Kaberle was a proper #1 as well, it's just that the team crap when he was at his peak.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Mitch can be traded. His NMC or whatever protection he has isn't a problem for any competent GM.

I'm sick of his crap. Willy may not be the assist machine Mitch is but I've never questioned his work ethic in the playoffs like we do constantly with Mitch.

If they don't win this series and perform well in the next one, I want seismic change to this roster. Matthews and Willy can stay as the basis of the forwards moving forward, Mitch can go. JT is done in one more season. He annoys me less then Mitch.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think he is, maybe not the highest tier, but when the rest of the group is likely in the bottom 3rd in the league, comparatively, it will stand out more.

Kaberle was a proper #1 as well, it's just that the team crap when he was at his peak.

You're right, both are/were #1s at time, but I want an all around All Star like a Lidstrom or a a Keith. A rock that the whole team can depend on for a solid decade. The Leafs haven't had one in the three decades I've followed the team.

Aside from that, it annoys me that really solid Dmen get traded every single year and the Leafs are NEVER involved.

Reactions: TMLAM34

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I wouldnt resign Bert, he has below average puck control, and below average self control in the Playoffs ...in the regular season, he's a puppy, in the playoffs an uncontrollable rabid dog,

this off season is the off season to rebuild our defense, with at least 12-15 mil allocated to get 2-3 D-men,
One needs to be top pairing, and it would help if they can actually handle the puck under pressure.
Pesce/Skjei,
Roy/Walker/DeMelo,
Zadorov/Hakanpaa/Tanev

I'd try to get one from each group (priced in the order listed also)... I'd take a run at Montour (if only as an add to us and weaken to Fla), but, think he'd be priced out. Tanev could fit in any group (price wise) but, based on his age, I wouldnt go higher than that bottom group's range

3 would be ideal, but 2 seems more realistic

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
You're going to let him walk? That is the worst logic I have ever heard.
Sometimes, getting cap space is worth the loss of the player. Marner has NOT been a playoff performer, yet he takes all the money he can get.

MLSE and Shanahan need to stop giving this puke of a playoff performer all that he wants.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yes... Because having nearly half the cap spent of 4 forwards for the last 8 years has worked out so well.

We need a change.

Tavares expires in Marner's walk year so that wouldn't be an issue either way.

We'll be needing a #2 C real soon, we need a #1D and a #1G. If we're parting with Marner we better be solving at least some of these holes.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I don’t see a true #1D being available in free agency or via trade any time soon but this off-season they have to upgrade the backend with a couple of #2D instead of a bunch of #6-7D.

For me, a #1 goalie should be the top priority. Someone you can count on every game and someone who can steal you games.

Leafs need to be in on Saros and Markstrom.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t see a true #1D being available in free agency or via trade any time soon but this off-season they have to upgrade the backend with a couple of #2D instead of a bunch of #6-7D.

For me, a #1 goalie should be the top priority. Someone you can count on every game and someone who can steal you games.

Leafs need to be in on Saros and Markstrom.
Saros need to be our top priority this off-season I’d say.

Reactions: Zero1 and Magic Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad