GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Have liked Foegele since his Carolina days, he’s playing really well in Edmonton and is a free agent this summer. 27 years of age, big body, can skate and hits whatever gets in front of him. He’s also from the GTA so you’d think there could be mutual interest in getting a deal done, something like 3x3?

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Have liked Foegele since his Carolina days, he’s playing really well in Edmonton and is a free agent this summer. 27 years of age, big body, can skate and hits whatever gets in front of him. He’s also from the GTA so you’d think there could be mutual interest in getting a deal done, something like 3x3?
If Keefe is still here he would be neutered

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
You’re going to end up giving more money to lesser UFA defenders.. who are also closing in on the wrong side of 30.

5 million for Demelo or 6.5 for Parayko isn’t even a decision. Roy for 6?
Meh, maybe you’re right. I guess what it all comes down to for me, is I just don’t see this core having the right mentality and intestinal fortitude to lead this team in the playoffs. So it doesn’t really matter who we acquire to play on defence. The best players have to be the driving force, with all the followers following, and our best players haven’t been able to do it in the playoffs, where it counts the most!

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
What are peoples thoughts regarding re-signing Domi and where he fits into the lineup moving forward?

This is my ideal bottom six next year,

McMann - Tavares - Cowan
Dewar - Minten - Duhaime

Does Domi really fit into the top six on a real contender? I like him, he’s played really well especially as of late but I have a hard time finding where he fits given his poor defensive play.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
What are peoples thoughts regarding re-signing Domi and where he fits into the lineup moving forward?

McMann - Tavares - Cowan
Dewar - Minten - Duhaime

Does Domi really fit into the top six on a real contender? I like him, he’s played really well especially as of late but I have a hard time finding where he fits given his poor defensive play.
That’s a good question. I’m personally happy moving on, but he has his games where he can bring guys into the fight.

I’m personally interested in Elias Lindholm. I think he’s maybe the best complement to Willy there is out there, and I don’t think his stock climbed this year. Plus, I don’t want Boston getting him.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and ToneDog

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

McMann - Tavares - Cowan
Dewar - Minten - Duhaime

I think when you have players making big bucks (and an $11M 3C) you need discount players like Max in the top six.

He could also trade off with McMann or other offensively gifted bottom sixers (Jarnkrok traded in your scenario?) depending on who has the hot hand.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I’d try and push for a few signings like:

1. Tanev to pair with Rielly, max 2y deal.
2. Another D to replace Brodie and pair with McCabe. Ideally someone that can help us on the PK. Roy would be good but probably $$$. Montour could be a decent buy low guy, but not the defender I just described. We might have to go the trade route here.
3. Another center to replace Domi. Stephenson would be a good add if possible.
4. If bring back Sammy if it’s a reasonable short term deal.
5. It’s early but Edmonton seems like a useful depth piece so far. Might be good to bring back if cheap.

In general, it would be good to see our youth slot in more permanently. Holmberg, McMann, Robertson should be regulars. I’d bring Domi back if it was reasonable, and he shows he can bring it in the playoffs. But another offensive center isn’t really what we need.

Last edited:

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If Cowan makes the jump next year, than Robertson is probably in a tough spot. Cowan probably slots in on the 3rd line.

If you have a more physical 2c with Nylander than maybe Robertson fits on that line.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

2. Another D to replace Brodie and pair with McCabe. Ideally someone that can help us on the PK. Roy would be good but probably $$$. Montour could be a decent buy low guy, but not the defender I just described. We might have to go the trade route here.
5. It’s early but Edmonton seems like a useful depth piece so far. Might be good to bring back if cheap.

In general, it would be good to see our youth slot in more permanently. Holmberg, McMann, Robertson should be regulars. I’d bring Domi back if it was reasonable, and he shows he can bring it in the playoffs. But another offensive center isn’t really what we need.

You probably need to get both Roy and Tanev to make the defense group respectable.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

Or trade Reilly and completely restructure the defense

McMann - Tavares - Cowan
Dewar - Minten - Duhaime

The issue is you can't have 2 of your top 3 centers defensively inept, if Tavares is moved to the wing and a responsible 2 way center is obtained then I'm all for keeping Domi but if it's he and Tavares playing C I just don't see it being a winning formula

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Or trade Reilly and completely restructure the defense

The issue is you can't have 2 of your top 3 centers defensively inept, if Tavares is moved to the wing and a responsible 2 way center is obtained then I'm all for keeping Domi but if it's he and Tavares playing C I just don't see it being a winning formula

I've caught about 1.5 games with NYR since they acquired Wennberg, I was thinking he'd be a nice add but not so sure the offensive upside is there anymore although he's pretty much between with Kakko and Cuylle, not world beaters.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I've caught about 1.5 games with NYR since they acquired Wennberg, I was thinking he'd be a nice add but not so sure the offensive upside is there anymore although he's pretty much between with Kakko and Cuylle, not world beaters.
Wennberg is a guy I like as well, hoping one of he or Stephenson is signed

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes, different circumstances completely, which should be obvious. Rielly won't be traded, Tavares won't be traded. This is just very basic stuff.

The Flames are a sinking ship which is definitely a big motivator in getting passed an nmc. Guys will be way less likely to want to leave a playoff team

Reactions: LeafParade

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
That’s a good question. I’m personally happy moving on, but he has his games where he can bring guys into the fight.

I’m personally interested in Elias Lindholm. I think he’s maybe the best complement to Willy there is out there, and I don’t think his stock climbed this year. Plus, I don’t want Boston getting him.
Lindholm would be a good get, his stock has probably fallen a little but I’d still be interested in signing him. A Knies - Lindholm - Nylander line would be real solid.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That will depend on Samsonov to me. I think the Leafs wouldn't mind him back on a 2 MAYBE 3 year deal around what he's making now, maybe a small bump to 4M. I also think the next month or so will be big for him. If he wants term and/or a big pay increase, I think you move on.

I just think Woll is the future #1 so I'd want to make sure his path isn't blocked and the cap isn't weirdly setup having to dump Samsonov in the future but... goaltending is very hard to predict.

I can see a scenario where they opt to bring back Jones, or a similar cheap vet on a 1-2.5ish mil deal to go with a tandem with Woll. And then also try and get a cheap vet #3 that they can sneak past waivers.

It would give management a bit more extra dollars to spend on the D or a 3C.

That said, all depends on how Sammy plays in the playoffs. If he shines he may get that new deal here

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can see a scenario where they opt to bring back Jones, or a similar cheap vet on a 1-2.5ish mil deal to go with a tandem with Woll. And then also try and get a cheap vet #3 that they can sneak past waivers.

It would give management a bit more extra dollars to spend on the D or a 3C.

That said, all depends on how Sammy plays in the playoffs. If he shines he may get that new deal here

I'm hoping because of the dollars committed to Bob and Knight, Stolarz shakes loose.

I would love to go for a 2 year deal around 2.5M on him.

I'd then like to go for the youthful #3 and #4 with Hildeby and Aky (assuming he's coming over next year) - similar to how we had Woll as our young #3 - he got to come up and show his stuff.

Reactions: Menzinger

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Rielly - Roy
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren

Thats my ideal pairings for next season. Out Brodie/Lyubushkin and Matt Roy comes in. We also elevate Benoit to full time status and bring back Edmundson

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Lindholm would be a good get, his stock has probably fallen a little but I’d still be interested in signing him. A Knies - Lindholm - Nylander line would be real solid.
Three offensive lines is a concept I like, and with Lindholm in the middle, Willy’s line shouldn’t be a defensive mess. I could see Pontus being a good third wheel there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad