GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How hard can it be to replace JT with 11mil for a 2C?

Harder than you think, you want a good 2C your going to have to trade for one and that's going to cost plenty

We're talking young roster players, prospects and picks

Makes a 70 point Tavares and his 11M look a little more attractive doesn't it?

Reactions: LeafSteel

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
They are really going to run it back lmao.
I don't think I'll watch if they run back the core five again next season minus Keefe. Save myself the stress and disgust and take the season off. I've had it with this group.

Not even the ******* Burke/Nonis years felt as hopeless as this lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zero1

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Harder than you think, you want a good 2C your going to have to trade for one and that's going to cost plenty

Stephenson, Lindholm, Monahan, Henrique, even Duchene are all available via UFA. Pretty sure none of them would cost 11mil.
I also don't think they are not that far off from JT in terms of production and on ice performance.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
If you’re looking specifically at centers and/or right handed defencemen with realistic destinations (we think),

Vegas - Karlsson, 1st Rounder
LA - Dubois, Clarke
Islanders - Pulock + 2nd Rounder
Seattle - Wright + 1st Rounder

Wouldn’t be the full deal but those would probably be the base.
La isn't trading Clatke, Seattle isn't trading Wrighy

Reactions: kinghock

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Th

This.

I don’t understand why Marner and JT are being lumped together.

The only thing they have in common is being paid $11m.

Marner has to go because he’s a no show and is going to want $12 for another 5-8 years. He is not good enough and doesn’t take us where we need to go. He needs to go. We don’t need what he does on RW for $12m for the next 5-8 years. He doesn’t put us over the top, and is actually a liability in the playoffs. He’s proven it over and over again.

Tavares is a more valuable player for us as a centre where we are woefully thin. He is our strongest face off man. He also has 1 year left.

While Tavares may no longer be a 2C, he’s perfectly good as a 3C, on a value contract of $2-3m, mentoring Cowan, especially if the plan is to try turning Cowan into a Centre. Add Minten to that as well.

Move Marner and sign a 2C like Lindholm or Stephenson, and you are now very strong at Centre, both currently and starting a pipeline.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Th

This.

I don’t understand why Marner and JT are being lumped together.

The only thing they have in common is being paid $11m.

Marner has to go because he’s a no show and is going to want $12 for another 5-8 years. He is not good enough and doesn’t take us where we need to go. He needs to go. We don’t need what he does on RW for $12m for the next 5-8 years. He doesn’t put us over the top, and is actually a liability in the playoffs. He’s proven it over and over again.

Tavares is a more valuable player for us as a centre where we are woefully thin. He is our strongest face off man. He also has 1 year left.

While Tavares may no longer be a 2C, he’s perfectly good as a 3C, on a value contract of $2-3m, mentoring Cowan, especially if the plan is to try turning Cowan into a Centre. Add Minten to that as well.

Move Marner and sign a 2C like Lindholm or Stephenson, and you are now very strong at Centre, both currently and starting a pipeline.

Every star on this has under performed in the playoffs. Every single one.
Tavares is no mentor. He's been captain for 6 six years. He was supposed to mentor Marner.
If you're trading Mitch Marner, you better have a better plan than 'use that cap space on some 30 year old free agents'.

Reactions: ACC1224

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Just listened to Chris Johnston's podcast and he basically said 100% Tavares and Rielly will not be going anywhere. He put the chances of Marner going at 50/50.
Nah I listened to that pod too, Dangle and most of the listeners misunderstood what CJ was trying to go for with the whole "1 through 8 for staying/going" segment.

The way CJ was trying to frame it but Dangle wasn't catching on, was basically that 1 through 8 on both sides was 16 segments. So example, "going CJ 8" meant 16/16 chance the player goes (100%).

So when CJ said for Marner "Going CJ 4", I interpreted that as a 75% chance Marner is gone. When Dangle incorrectly interpreted it as 50/50, CJ followed up by saying he actually thinks it's "more than likely to happen," which sounds way more like 75/25 than 50/50.

Reactions: jaric1862

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Dylan Strome
Vinny Trochek

2Cs recently who changed teams and make a lot less than 11M and are better players than Tavaares

RoR makes 4.5M and gave 65 pts. Better player then Tavares

Chandler Stephenson will be a UFA and should get 6-7M and is younger and bettrr than Tavares

Max Domi last year alone was better than tavares just didny get PP1 time. He was ahead of JT in the playoffs as a center

Replacing Tavares is not that hard. A lot of options via trade and a few via UFA. Issue is moving tavares out

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nah I listened to that pod too, Dangle and most of the listeners misunderstood what CJ was trying to go for with the whole "1 through 8 for staying/going" segment.

The way CJ was trying to frame it but Dangle wasn't catching on, was basically that 1 through 8 on both sides was 16 segments. So example, "going CJ 8" meant 16/16 chance the player goes (100%).

So when CJ said for Marner "Going CJ 4", I interpreted that as a 75% chance Marner is gone. When Dangle incorrectly interpreted it as 50/50, CJ followed up by saying he actually thinks it's "more than likely to happen," which sounds way more like 75/25 than 50/50.
That’s a lot of math with the CJ 1-16 scale.
I would make it easier. 1,2,3,4 grab your stuff you’re out the door.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
That’s a lot of math with the CJ 1-16 scale.
I would make it easier. 1,2,3,4 grab your stuff you’re out the door.
Trust me I wish he said "Going CJ 8" when Marner came up. I was just responding to the poster who was likely parroting Dangle saying 50/50.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If we do end up bringing it back (which I would hate)....I'd would replace Jarnkrok, Kampf and Robertson in the forward group.

1. Trade Jarnkrok, Kampf, Robertson
2. Trade for Scott Laughton with retention (Pagnotta said we have interest)
3. Sign Trenin, Pesce and Brendan Dillon
4. Re-sign Bertuzzi, Domi and Dewar

Bertuzzi - Mathews - Domi
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Laughton - Nylander
Trenin - Dewar - Reaves
Holmberg

Reilly - Pesce
Benoit - McCabe
Dillon - Liljegren

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Mark Hunter becomes GM and Dale Hunter coach.
I don’t see Dale leaving London, Mark becoming the GM in Columbus is more plausible, and I’d love it because that would make a certain poster who is obsessed with hate for Hunter avatar obsolete, one must enjoy the small things in life I suppose………

Zadorov is gonna swindle some team for a 6x6 deal and I hope it’s not us.
Agree, like the player, but not at that price or term……..

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
La isn't trading Clatke, Seattle isn't trading Wrighy
I don't see LA trading Clarke - Thats true, Doughty is in the final stretch of his career and hes a perfect replacement.

Wouldn't be so sure about Wright. Don't know about Seattle ownership but I don't know if they are willing to wait so long to have consistent playoff appearances I think if they could have Mitch Marner locked up for 8 years they would consider doing it.

Toronto is in win now mode, Wright is 20 years old, that's a lot of responsibility to have a 20 year old come in and be the 2nd line center on a contending team that wants to win now.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Every star on this has under performed in the playoffs. Every single one.
Tavares is no mentor. He's been captain for 6 six years. He was supposed to mentor Marner.
If you're trading Mitch Marner, you better have a better plan than 'use that cap space on some 30 year old free agents'.
Lol, quite the overreaction.

Every single player and coach has underperformed and failed us the last 8 years. Based on that, Tavares has no redeeming qualities anymore?

He’s pure trash and Hockey Canada doesn’t know shit and he stowed away to be a leader for the team that is competing now?

Come on.

Not sure what your plan is since you offer nothing but your panties in a bunch, so will expand.

You keep Tavares at a lower signing for 2 years to be your 3C, which gives Cowan and Minten time to grow and yes, learn how to be an NHL centre with Tavares and Matthews.

You don’t give Marner $12m to be a poof. You use that money to make our team better, including getting a 2C who is a better stylistic fit for Nylander, thus getting more out of him too.

You also add 2RHD to make the team better.

Would love to hear how you think the Leafs can get better this offseason as you offered nothing of your own opinion.

Considering your take, that everyone has underperformed and sucked, maybe you don’t think it’s possible and why it makes sense for you to keep bringing back Marner.

Either way, some of us want change because what we have currently isn’t good enough. While Tavares still has some value, depending on what moves are made, Marner’s greatest value to this team is off of it. Freed up cap space and assets gotten by moving him will make the whole team better.

A soft, floating $12m no-show RW for the next 5-8 years does not make us a better team.

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

Florida and New York defense may not have size, but you would be stupid to think that the D-core's isn't a physical group. They are extremely physical and both teams play big

Dallas is the only team in there, that you can make a case is fairly soft and not interested in size/toughness.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Florida and New York defense may not have size, but you would be stupid to think that the D-core's isn't a physical group. They are extremely physical and both teams play big

Dallas is the only team in there, that you can make a case is fairly soft and not interested in size/toughness.
It's almost as if "toughness" only matters if you otherwise have a really good team whose best players are performing in meaningful moments.

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

NYR have size, Trouba, Schneider and Miller are pretty big dudes. But then Fox, Lindgren and Gustafsson are much smaller. They have balance, bigger physical guys, and guys who can move a puck as well. That's what wins... you need to have both. You need offensive guys, you need defensive and PK guys.

You say Dallas is soft, and yet they have 369 hits as a team so far in the playoffs, and NYR have 315.

Florida for sure is a physical team though.

The bottom line, build a balanced team, top to bottom... have people who can do a bit of everything you need.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I mean, Vegas had a huge defense and won last year. I don't think single playoff sample sizes mean much either way. Our defense sucked when it was big and it sucked when it was small.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I mean, Vegas had a huge defense and won last year. I don't think single playoff sample sizes mean much either way. Our defense sucked when it was big and it sucked when it was small.
I dont think defense was an issue for us this year. It was one of our biggest strengths against the bruins.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad