GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Other than California weather (which is likely a positive for most players), I don't see him agreeing to waive to a bottom feeding team - the exception being maybe Chicago due to being able to play with Bedard
I think MM will waive due to not having confidence in betting on himself to be a playoff performer and earn his 100mil contract. As he already failed this past playoffs.
He will choose a team that can be close to the playoffs with his addition but will miss at the end, that way he will get his 100mil contract due to his stats in the regular season.
Also a team that have leadership in place and he is just there as a player.

The weird thing about Mo is what has happened to his skating. He was a gazelle and now he moves like a buffalo but he hits about as often as a gazelle. Is he carrying some kind of injury?
Tessa stopped teaching him how to skate, lol.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
just to go to a city where he would be able to play relax and free after whats happened this year... like i said no body know whats hw want
He's showed us that he cares about how he is perceived relative to his peers. All of the media leaks when he received his contract were "he needs to be paid as much as Matthews", not all the media leaks are "he needs to be paid more than Nylander". I imagine he'll want to go to a market where he can compete immediately and stay relevant so he can make the Leafs look bad for picking Matthews and Nylander over him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I need to see some RHD or 2C Marner proposals in here. No more Saros - that next contract will be so bad. Please share your most realistic (factoring in locations Marner might want to go to and that could pay him).
If you’re looking specifically at centers and/or right handed defencemen with realistic destinations (we think),

Vegas - Karlsson, 1st Rounder
LA - Dubois, Clarke
Islanders - Pulock + 2nd Rounder
Seattle - Wright + 1st Rounder

Wouldn’t be the full deal but those would probably be the base.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I need to see some RHD or 2C Marner proposals in here. No more Saros - that next contract will be so bad. Please share your most realistic (factoring in locations Marner might want to go to and that could pay him).
Blues have a lot of nice pieces in a potential marner deal

Parayako or Binnington for NHL players

Bolduc, Snuggerud, Dvorsky, or Neighbours or Stenburg for young high end pieces

I Dont think they will trade for marner though. Weird spot the blues are in. Marner would helo for sure, but they seem like they will have a retool for a bit before trying to compete again.

Reactions: Americanadian

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Got to give due to Bill Zito... rookie GM, comes in and acquired Bennett, Tkatchuk, Reinhart, Montour and signs Verhaeghe.

Meanwhile, you have Dubas shopping thrift store, looking for a diamond in the rough all the time and then paying out the behind for mostly washed up rentals.

… Verhaeghe was most definitely a diamond in the rough. Came out of no where to the player he is with them.

And Bennett/Montour were pretty big gambles as well.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Blues have a lot of nice pieces in a potential marner deal

Parayako or Binnington for NHL players

Bolduc, Snuggerud, Dvorsky, or Neighbours or Stenburg for young high end pieces

I Dont think they will trade for marner though. Weird spot the blues are in. Marner would helo for sure, but they seem like they will have a retool for a bit before trying to compete again.
I’m pretty convinced Marner wouldn’t go to St. Louis. I’m also pretty sold on Binnington for Woll being a perfect trade for both.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
This. if Tavares were UFA this year he would have the best offensive stats of any UFA centre. Yes, he is overpaid but only for one more year. Our off-season should be about changing the culture and balance...

(1) Replace Keefe with coach that is known to hold players accountable - check
(2) Extend Tavares for 3 x $2.5M on July 1. Showing that he (and others?) are willing to take a discount to win in Toronto
(3) JT gives the C to Matthews. New coach, new captain.
(4) Convert Marner into three useful pieces (two defensemen) through trade and/or free agency with cap space created from moving Marner.
(5) Re-sign Domi and Bertuzzi
(6) Allow young players to continue to grow and contribute on low salaries...Knies, McMann, Holmberg, Robertson, Benoit, Will...and then Cowan, Minten, Grebenkin, Niemela, and Hildeby.
This is exactly my hope almost all the way down the list, with maybe JT taking less and not much internest in keep Bert (at term at least). I’d rather that money go towards a C for Willy, with Lindholm my dream of terms are reasonable. Though, even with that I’m torn because I see Pontus having a lot more to give.
Solid plan.

Reactions: conFABulator

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
just to go to a city where he would be able to play relax and free after whats happened this year... like i said no body know whats hw want
If this is what you wanted, would Columbus be your first choice?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If you’re looking specifically at centers and/or right handed defencemen with realistic destinations (we think),

Vegas - Karlsson, 1st Rounder
LA - Dubois, Clarke
Islanders - Pulock + 2nd Rounder
Seattle - Wright + 1st Rounder

Wouldn’t be the full deal but those would probably be the base.
Wright+1st is the only one that really intrigues me because it’s the only one without a contract that is bad (PLD) or could be bad as early as next season (Pulock, Karlsson).

I like the spirit though and these are probably close to what ends up happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rude Dog

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Wright+1st is the only one that really intrigues me because it’s the only one without a contract that is bad (PLD) or could be bad as early as next season (Pulock, Karlsson).

I like the spirit though and these are probably close to what ends up happening.
I don’t think we NEED to focus on acquiring a top six center or top pairing RHD mainly for Marner. If we free up enough cap space from the move, you can sign Stephenson who I think is the ideal option on the second line with Knies and Nylander and we can get him for just cap space.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I'm not sure how it gets done, but I think one way or another Seth Jones will end up a Maple Leaf. He's the only #1D out there who could actually move.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If this is what you wanted, would Columbus be your first choice?

you can take 100 people and they all gonna have different answer. so i will not try to pretend and know what he's thinking about, im not im his head and no body knows what he could want or be agree. Its just all speculation

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Durzi would be a good low key target, I was a little bummed when LA traded him that we didn’t go after him. He’d slot in nicely on the second pair with McCabe and provide some offence from the blueline.

We can go big with a Marner for Guenther and Durzi deal or smaller with a Liljegren and Robertson for Durzi.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Just listened to Chris Johnston's podcast and he basically said 100% Tavares and Rielly will not be going anywhere. He put the chances of Marner going at 50/50.
No surprise really. Only one more year for Tavares contract so no real reason to move him, but moving Rielly would've been a good move to get out from his contract to bring in someone better who could play top pairing minutes who you can rely on and put on the ice to defend when the game is on the line. Can't do that with Rielly and the team hasn't ever suffered much with him out of the lineup.

In my ideal offseason if you could move both Marner and Rielly for a decent amount of assets, that would be great. Free up some money, get some assets for the future and hopefully sign some guys who can make an impact come playoff time.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
MM and JT needs to go. Why can't JT just do his beloved team a favor and move on and Leafs picks and better players, lol.

Zadorov is gonna swindle some team for a 6x6 deal and I hope it’s not us.
Dubas will sign him and those Dubas fans here will come back with their advanced stats all summer about Z is the best Dman available....Dubas signed him....

Reactions: supermann_98

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
No surprise really. Only one more year for Tavares contract so no real reason to move him, but moving Rielly would've been a good move to get out from his contract to bring in someone better who could play top pairing minutes who you can rely on and put on the ice to defend when the game is on the line. Can't do that with Rielly and the team hasn't ever suffered much with him out of the lineup.

In my ideal offseason if you could move both Marner and Rielly for a decent amount of assets, that would be great. Free up some money, get some assets for the future and hopefully sign some guys who can make an impact come playoff time.

JT at a $11M cap hit is a hindrance to the roster. So there is a reason to move him. Issue is trying to replace him.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
JT at a $11M cap hit is a hindrance to the roster. So there is a reason to move him. Issue is trying to replace him.
Even if JT was willing to move unless you're able to move him without giving much up then why bother? He's still an effective player and one more year isn't going to kill the team. I don't want to give up any assets just to move him for a year like we did for Marleau who wasn't great in his 2nd season here and it at least made sense to move him for his final year.

I'm pretty sure JT will still be a good player next year so unless he wants to move and you can do it without giving much up then I'm fine with just keeping him for the last year of his contract.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Getting a trade for a D man makes the most sense but id consider a package for a 2C like Zegras + Vatrano + 24th overall for Marner. We then have to sign 2 D men from FA though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad