GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Zito actually is an alpha with confidence where as Dubas wants to show he is as smart if not smarter than everyone else.
Andrew Brunette went 51-18, and lost in the second round after Quenneville stepped down, and Bill Zito still let Brunette go in the offseason for Maurice.

Dubas would've signed Brunette for 7 years at 5 million and created a Netflix series around Brunette's daily life.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m slowly jumping onboard with potentially moving Rielly. I love that he gave Toronto max term and at a fair rate but at the same time, if we’re constantly trying to find the right partner for him at what point do you just move on? Not to mention, if you’re looking for an entire culture change, he’s been here the longest and been apart of every failure.

Detroit would be a perfect spot for him IMO.

Reactions: Brobust

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I’m slowly jumping onboard with potentially moving Rielly. I love that he gave Toronto max term and at a fair rate but at the same time, if we’re constantly trying to find the right partner for him at what point do you just move on? Not to mention, if you’re looking for an entire culture change, he’s been here the longest and been apart of every failure.

I’m there also. Wouldn’t move Rielly for the sake of it, but he doesn’t seem like the type of dude who would stand in our way if asked to waive NMC. That contract, although fair, is going to get ugly quick. Rather move out from it now before it costs us assets to get rid of.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Mitch Marner (extended) + Morgan Rielly for Lucas Raymond + 15th OA + some cap filler

Reactions: the real Fox mulder

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I’m there also. Wouldn’t move Rielly for the sake of it, but he doesn’t seem like the type of dude who would stand in our way if asked to waive NMC. That contract although fair, is going to get ugly quick. Rather move out from it now before it costs us assets to get rid of.
I think many on here really under estimate the spirit of a NMC. Lots are saying "trade Marner", "trade Tavares", or "trade Rielly".

I really don't think it is that easy. You need the player to agree and more importantly you need be able to live with the dynamic of the player saying "no" and remaining in your team. These three guys are all captains and assistants and two of them took discounts to be here. Players don't appreciate agreeing to play somewhere for less and then being moved somewhere else.

I think they are prepared to take this nuclear option with Marner because the story may go "We don't have you at $12M+ in our plans and we would like to help you land in your preferred destination and get some value for you in a trade. We also don't imagine the fanbase here would appreciate you blocking a trade knowing that you will be leaving the following year".

I think this last part is key, does Marner believe the fans will turn on him if he doesn't play ball? It seem plausible and he seems acutely concerned about such things. I don't see the same dynamic with JT or Mo.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m there also. Wouldn’t move Rielly for the sake of it, but he doesn’t seem like the type of dude who would stand in our way if asked to waive NMC. That contract, although fair, is going to get ugly quick. Rather move out from it now before it costs us assets to get rid of.
I wonder if something around Rielly for Edvinsson would work.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Gonna disagree with you here.

Rielly made it work with Hainsey, with Schenn, with Bush...on the international stage he looked great with Tanev and Parayko, and maybe we can land one of them in the offseason.

It's really not so hard to find the right partner for him - RHD, defensive dman. Doesn't even have to be expensive, as we've seen.

My beef with Morgan is his special teams limitations. At 5 on 5, with a defensive dman he's solid.

Reactions: Duffman955

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Gonna disagree with you here.

Rielly made it work with Hainsey, with Schenn, with Bush...on the international stage he looked great with Tanev and Parayko, and maybe we can land one of them in the offseason.

It's really not so hard to find the right partner for him - RHD, defensive dman. Doesn't even have to be expensive, as we've seen.

My beef with Morgan is his special teams limitations. At 5 on 5, with a defensive dman he's solid.

He probably plays the system on the PP. It's not that he can't do a lot of things, but he's just been the "other" guy, and his job just always seems to be to just give the puck to the core guys.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
if Marner is gone and considerating nobody know where he would waive his NMC. Personally i would suggest a trade around Zach Werenski.

With provorov, severson, Jiricek and mateychuk... columbus could use Werenski to get help in the offensive end to help fantilli and cie...

for toronto

could be something like
rielly-Tanev
Werenski-Mccabe
Benoit-???

in term hockey i think it could be a great fit for both team

Reactions: HOTD

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
if Marner is gone and considerating nobody know where he would waive his NMC. Personally i would suggest a trade around Zach Werenski.

With provorov, severson, Jiricek and mateychuk... columbus could use Werenski to get help in the offensive end to help fantilli and cie...

for toronto

could be something like
rielly-Tanev
Werenski-Mccabe
Benoit-???
Werenski would be a fantastic get.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
the problem with trading mo is his contract is actually REALLY good.

He should stay because marner will probably be gone and JT will be either gone or signed to much much cheaper deal. So i don't think we should make the mistake of trading him.

Plus its not his fault he hasn't gotten jack shit to work with.

Look at makar, hes got toews and look what hronek did for hughes.

Get rielly a legit guy and youll see him go off.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

for toronto

could be something like
rielly-Tanev
Werenski-Mccabe
Benoit-???

in term hockey i think it could be a great fit for both team
I can't imagine there is any scenario under which Marner would agree to be traded to Columbus.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He probably plays the system on the PP. It's not that he can't do a lot of things, but he's just been the "other" guy, and his job just always seems to be to just give the puck to the core guys.

It's the lack of a point shot and the fact that he barely plays on the PK anymore, although the latter could just be a Keefe thing.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
The weird thing about Mo is what has happened to his skating. He was a gazelle and now he moves like a buffalo but he hits about as often as a gazelle. Is he carrying some kind of injury?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad