GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I’m curious if any of Berube’s cup winning team will be brought in whether that’s Edmundson, Perron or a trade for Parayko or Binnington.

Binnington was phenomenal this year. A Woll for Binnington swap would be risky but might make sense depending on how the Leafs do in free agency and how much they believe in Woll.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I’m curious if any of Berube’s cup winning team will be brought in whether that’s Edmundson, Perron or a trade for Parayko or Binnington.

Binnington was phenomenal this year. A Woll for Binnington swap would be risky but might make sense depending on how the Leafs do in free agency and how much they believe in Woll.

Parayko should be a priority target.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
i think just with coaching change, we can see an impact there. I saw 2 thing under keefe

1- leafs didn't really forechecking, they was playing to dont make mistake and get caught out of position in neutral zone but at the same time, opposite was pratically never under pressure.

2- D are not involve in the offensive, maybe its because he never really have the D for this but who know?

Berube style is an agressive one, so i expect to see leafs more agressive on forecheck and probably provoking mistake in the offensive end... but at the same time giving more opportunity in the defenside end your missing your play. Will be interesting to follow

and for sure special team was a nightmare under keefe in playoff, can't be worst. They need to find way to send puck to the net
At the end of the day, our top guys need to play much much much better esp in the playoffs.

Your two points nailed it perfectly and I don’t think anyone can argue with that.
I would like to add the team rarely starts on time, and it is not just games but rather seasons.
They constantly had slow start from top to bottom. Starting the season strong is an indication of how hard the guys work over the summer to prepare for the season. If they(all players) stayed in great shape, they will allow the coaching staff to start doing game drills from the start instead of fitness exercises to get them in shape.

He really shouldn't be at this point.

Like he's legitimately not good anymore defensively. The nostalgia is strong with him because he use to be an absolute stud
He is one of the better Defensive dman in the league.

Been calling MM for Parayko, Binnington and 1st trade since Berube as HC

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Top 5 is Slavin > Pietrangelo > Parayko > McDonagh > Larsson

That's interesting. I pegged St. Louis as more of a retooling team, and thought a package involving Liljegren and Robertson may work for Parayko.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Top 5 is Slavin > Pietrangelo > Parayko > McDonagh > Larsson

That's interesting. I pegged St. Louis as more of a retooling team, and thought a package involving Liljegren and Robertson may work for Parayko.
Agree. But don’t think Lilly and Robbie will get it done with Parayko though.
But yeah, I am promoting the MM for Parayko, Binnington and 1st idea. Pretty sure one of those in the medias will start reporting it as rumours soon just like the MM for Saros plus, lol.

Reactions: Magic Man

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I think chasing what worked for Berube in the past would be a mistake. This isn't like the Rangers plucking a bunch of parts from the Oilers dynasty to win in '94. The 2019 Blues were great but Binnington was just solid for them that run, not elite or unbeatable. He's been inconsistent since then, he was good this season but he could easily revert back to the over 3 GAA and barely around .900 save percentage he was the previous two seasons. I'm not particularly sold on Woll given his constant injuries but Binnington is not who I'd target in a deal to replace him.

Parayko is good defensively (wouldn't go so far as to say he's top three) but that contract of could become a nightmare and kill whatever flexibility this team would have with the remaining years of Matthews' and Nylander's prime. A big part of removing Mitch would be getting that cap space back, I don't think immediately spending that plus a little extra on both Parayko and Binnington (or hell even a good chunk of it on just Parayko) would be the best use of it. Now if Parayko came here in a "cap dump" move were the Blues retained or paid us to take him like the Sharks did with Burns to Carolina I could get behind that, but the Blues sound intent on keeping him and don't consider him a negative asset.

Edmundson was fine but I'd rather spend money on a higher-end UFA defenseman than him. Perron is interesting, still scores pretty well and just from looking at his hits plays a bit of a physical game. If the Leafs fail to bring back Bertuzzi and/or Domi and can't get a guy like DeBrusk he'd be a good backup option.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think chasing what worked for Berube in the past would be a mistake. This isn't like the Rangers plucking a bunch of parts from the Oilers dynasty to win in '94. The 2019 Blues were great but Binnington was just solid for them that run, not elite or unbeatable. He's been inconsistent since then, he was good this season but he could easily revert back to the over 3 GAA and barely around .900 save percentage he was the previous two seasons. I'm not particularly sold on Woll given his constant injuries but Binnington is not who I'd target in a deal to replace him.

Parayko is good defensively (wouldn't go so far as to say he's top three) but that contract of could become a nightmare and kill whatever flexibility this team would have with the remaining years of Matthews' and Nylander's prime. A big part of removing Mitch would be getting that cap space back, I don't think immediately spending that plus a little extra on both Parayko and Binnington (or hell even a good chunk of it on just Parayko) would be the best use of it. Now if Parayko came here in a "cap dump" move were the Blues retained or paid us to take him like the Sharks did with Burns to Carolina I could get behind that, but the Blues sound intent on keeping him and don't consider him a negative asset.

Edmundson was fine but I'd rather spend money on a higher-end UFA defenseman than him. Perron is interesting, still scores pretty well and just from looking at his hits plays a bit of a physical game. If the Leafs fail to bring back Bertuzzi and/or Domi and can't get a guy like DeBrusk he'd be a good backup option.

I’m not sure where the idea that Parayko has a bad contract came from. The guy is a legit top pairing defenseman. I wouldn’t say he’s a #1 guy, but he’s an elite #2. 6.5 million for an elite #2 is actually a bit of a bargain. He just turned 31 last week, so I assume that’s the worry. Obviously, I’d prefer to add a 22 year old, but those aren’t available.

There isn’t a UFA defenseman as good as Parayko, and a few of them are going to commad larger contracts than his. Also, these guys are all 29 or 30, so not much younger than Parayko.

I like a guy like Matt Roy, but he’s not close to Parayko and probably gets north of 5 million.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
At the end of the day, our top guys need to play much much much better esp in the playoffs.

Your two points nailed it perfectly and I don’t think anyone can argue with that.
I would like to add the team rarely starts on time, and it is not just games but rather seasons.
They constantly had slow start from top to bottom. Starting the season strong is an indication of how hard the guys work over the summer to prepare for the season. If they(all players) stayed in great shape, they will allow the coaching staff to start doing game drills from the start instead of fitness exercises to get them in shape.

moving marner for parayko and binnington for the same kind of $$$ will just make this team worst.

If Toronto can sign a Tavev around 4, 4-5M he would be a better option than Parayko at 6.5M no doubt about it. D
will depend of how the market will goes on

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I've come around on both Parayko and Binnington after not liking both contracts as recently as mid-season. I would not deal Marner for them. I also don't think Marner would sign up to go to STL. Marner should fetch 1-2 long-term pieces <25. I think Binnington for Woll would be fair. I think Parayko could be had for a futures package.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Rielly + Robertson for Chytil + Goodrow
Liljegren + 2024 1st for Necas
Marner for Farabee + Sanheim

UFAs signed: Mantha, Tanev, Kylington, Lyubushkin, Matt Roy

Final Lineup:

Knies - Matthews - Necas
Farabee - Tavares - McMann
Mantha - Chytil - Nylander
Goodrow - Holmberg - x

Sanheim - Tanev
McCabe - Roy
Kylington - Lyubushkin

Woll + $2M backup

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

This is nutty. Holy f***.

Please change the team up this summer

I really don’t see how Shanahan can even look at himself in the mirror these days! To have had what he had at his disposal when Matthews, Nylander, and Marner first arrived, and with the draft picks he still had available, and then all these years later to have THAT PLAYOFF RECORD?

I do agree that Pelley had no choice but to keep him around, but I’m thinking it won’t be for long, like maybe for just one more year. Will be so glad to see him go!

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Woll is a tricky asset. He has one year left below league minimum AAV. He will be one year to UFA when his deal expires.

If he plays 40 games next year and puts up a .915-.920 sv% does anyone feel comfortable extending him long-term to starter money when he's never played 40 games in a season before? If he plays well, and the Leafs don't want to pay him he can go to arbitration and take a 1 year deal that walks him to UFA. If he doesn't play a lot of games (let's say 20-30), his arb case isn't great, but what do you pay him and what term?

Given his tricky situation it might be best to deal him at what is currently his peak value. That one cheap year will be enticing to a lot of teams.

I love the player, he's been awesome for the Leafs when he's healthy, I just don't love the asset.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Woll is a tricky asset. He has one year left below league minimum AAV. He will be one year to UFA when his deal expires.

If he plays 40 games next year and puts up a .915-.920 sv% does anyone feel comfortable extending him long-term to starter money when he's never played 40 games in a season before? If he plays well, and the Leafs don't want to pay him he can go to arbitration and take a 1 year deal that walks him to UFA. If he doesn't play a lot of games (let's say 20-30), his arb case isn't great, but what do you pay him and what term?

Given his tricky situation it might be best to deal him at what is currently his peak value. That one cheap year will be enticing to a lot of teams.

I love the player, he's been awesome for the Leafs when he's healthy, I just don't love the asset.

Unless there's an interesting return, there's no issue with walking him to free agency.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Juuse Saros
To Nashville: John Tavares

Use the 6 million dollar difference in signing Chandler Stephenson.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Rielly + Robertson for Chytil + Goodrow
Liljegren + 2024 1st for Necas
Marner for Farabee + Sanheim

UFAs signed: Mantha, Tanev, Kylington, Lyubushkin, Matt Roy

Final Lineup:

Knies - Matthews - Necas
Farabee - Tavares - McMann
Mantha - Chytil - Nylander
Goodrow - Holmberg - x

Sanheim - Tanev
McCabe - Roy
Kylington - Lyubushkin

Woll + $2M backup
Just when we thought the days of soft skill were over you propose bringing in Necas, Chytil, Farabee, Mantha at a projected combined cap hit of 22M who have a combined 22 goals in 116 playoff games (16 goals/82 GP pace).

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Just when we thought the days of soft skill were over you propose bringing in Necas, Chytil, Farabee, Mantha at a projected combined cap hit of 22M who have a combined 22 goals in 116 playoff games (16 goals/82 GP pace).

I'm more invested in depth than things like soft skill, which I think is the wrong thing to focus on. I want enough supporting players who can allow the 3 core players left over to carry their own lines.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
If Ken Holland does end up going to Columbus, I wonder if he'd be interested in another former Leaf. They have several defensemen I'd be interested in.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm more invested in depth than things like soft skill, which I think is the wrong thing to focus on. I want enough supporting players who can allow the 3 core players left over to carry their own lines.
I don't disagree with loading up on depth but all of those players will provide no excess value on their contracts.

The above team is projected for 95 points. If you're going to target players that don't fit the current regime at least target good ones.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I don't disagree with loading up on depth but all of those players will provide no excess value on their contracts.

The above team is projected for 95 points. If you're going to target players that don't fit the current regime at least target good ones.

Chytil was injured and Farabee was on a bad team. Did the imaginary points calculator take that into account?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Chytil was injured and Farabee was on a bad team. Did the imaginary points calculator take that into account?
Farabee just had a career season offensively but his defensive impact fell off a cliff compared to the year prior.

For Chytil I just used his 22-23 season as his lead season.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Realistically Columbus has basically the same chances as us winning the cup.

If we’re looking at contenders, I don’t think Toronto would deal with Boston but maybe Carolina could be a destination. Tavares for Kotkaniemi straight up.

Barring a 3 way on July 2 where a team could eat cap and we would actually get positive value.

The move with Carolina is JT for Kuzy

We could waive and get 8.2 million in cap space.

Could use that for a 2nd line C.

I saw a Lilly for Morgan frost trade that makes sense. Or maybe a lily for Rossi. That would cover JT absence. Heck you could even try for lindholm.

Matty
Lindholm
Rossi/frost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad