GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Holy ****, you sound like a slighted ex girlfriend, it's not your ******* money

Pull your head out of your ass, 90-100 point line driving matchup capable wingers don't just magically appear, you can count them on one hand

Just because you've lost your mind and got all emotional doesn't change any of those facts
Must have missed that one. Cause I did not see a line driving player in the playoffs, like not even a little bit.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The only reason I can see for Florida to do this is to save cap on a reasonable position within its roster (Bobrovsky has been their guy in goal). Although Stolarz might be fine here, I'd ideally prefer someone who has a history of taking the reins (in the event that Woll's ability to remain healthy permits him from doing so).
By the sounds of it, Florida also wants to keep Stolarz around making Knight potentially available to clear cap space to use towards re-signing some of their other pending UFAs.

Reactions: Buds17

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
lots of ifs and variables here, but IF Nashville thinks askarov is ready to be their guy and Saros is actually available, and Tavares was open to it (which is unlikely but possible) do you think there could be a deal around JT and Saros with us heavily retaining on JT for this season.

Doesn’t help our cap much this season, but it fills a major hole for us and does reallocate money a bit.

For Nashville, it helps them down the middle pretty significantly with a guy who I think fits well how they play hockey

Not suggesting it’s straight 1 for 1

myleafs

May 25, 2021
At no point have I said in here we shouldn't trade Marner, what I have a problem with is people diminishing his abilities and this opinion he's the reason we can't win anything

He's an extremely good player, he's got value so instead of getting all emotional and wanting to run him out of town for nothing let's talk about the good things we think he could return instead

He negotiated that deal, management could have said no so its not his fault he was overpaid it was team management having zero spine or will to fight that did that
While I understand what your saying, I am curious why you care so much about what random people think about Marner? Who cares if some hate him for whatever reason or if some love him for whatever reason? Nobodys opinion should really matter what you think imho. If you love the guy, great good for you. I used to , now I cant get rid of him fast enough, for various reasons some hockey related some not.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
lots of ifs and variables here, but IF Nashville thinks askarov is ready to be their guy and Saros is actually available, and Tavares was open to it, do you think there could be a deal around JT and Saros with us heavily retaining on JT for this season.

Doesn’t help our cap this season, but it fills a major hole for us. Also helps them down the middle pretty significantly with a guy who I think fits well how they play hockey
That type of deal makes more sense than Marner for Saros.

Another option when it comes to JT is Columbus. JT (30% retention) for Johnson. I would then use the extra cap space to sign Wennberg for 3C.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That type of deal makes more sense than Marner for Saros.

Another option when it comes to JT is Columbus. JT (30% retention) for Johnson. I would then use the extra cap space to sign Wennberg for 3C.

I think JT makes more for us for sure. Nashville, it depends, but you’re presumably right. I think Marner for Saros is a lot more complicated to work out in terms of additional value we’d need back.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
By the sounds of it, Florida also wants to keep Stolarz around making Knight potentially available to clear cap space to use towards re-signing some of their other pending UFAs.
Knight might be a good gamble to take for any team that already has a cheap yet solid option in goal. I don't know if we could get away with even a Woll-Knight tandem though?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
People reacting like if Marner is the only reason why lost. If Toronto lost, its because overal everyone was not enough good.

Matthews get offensively 1 game where he producing

Nylander scored 3 goal... okay it's great of stats sheet...
-1 of his goal was mcaviy who scored on his own goal trying for no reason to block his shot.
-1 was in a breakaway when boston had no choice to force the play late in 3
-1 was result of carlo felt on the ice with the puck going right on matthews stick to get an easy 2v1 in front of the net.

Scoring 2 lucky bounce goal it is really the difference having a great series and get the target on your back?

Tavares outside of his goal and ot drive, did you saw him for anything in the series? i dont know how many time leafs lost puck possession after jt touching the puck.

He's not the only player on that pp who created absolutly nothing

How many goal leafs bottom 6 scored? 1 goal and dont tell me its because they didn't cap space to spend on it, Boston didn't had more more on their bottom 6.

so personally i dont bite on it... absolutly need to trade marner and that will change everything. unstead he absolutly want to be out of toronto or asking an phenomenal $$$, if they trading marner for me, it's not to get free money or whatever, it should be to bring in a great D and nothing else.

Sometime when you thinking youre doing the best thing, its not always the case... # Tavares, huberdeau/ Weagar... Everyone thinking is was great move when they did it and now like one of worst move in NHL.
Feels like your missing the point. All the leafs top guys underpreformed again imo but 2 are locked up and the 3rd will def not waive in his final year. Being average to below average in the playoffs again and probably wanting a raise on his 11 milly is what puts a target on your back.

Reactions: Madap and LeafSteel

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Knight might be a good gamble to take for any team that already has a cheap yet solid option in goal. I don't know if we could get away with even a Woll-Knight tandem though?
If the Leafs are willing to part with our 1st round draft pick, I’m sure Florida listens. I would still be open to it.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
consider?

I also think our off-season should see us extend JT and $8m or $9m over three years and he should give the C to Matthews.

Off season of new coach, new captain, three important pieces for Marner, and cap space next year with JT savings and another cap increase...sounds good to me.
Ho;y crap....you had me up til the tavares thing....8-9m on a 3 yr extention?.....wtf dude?

Reactions: TimeZone

myleafs

May 25, 2021
We do absolutely need a 2LC and maybe even a 1B goalie in addition to D. In a cap world, it is always about prioritization. I would prioritize our D for a few reasons.

The first being, we have holes there. Brodie is gone, Giordano is gone, Lyubushkin is gone, Edmundson is gone...or all are UFAs anyway. That leaves a few Rielly, McCabe, Benoit, Liljegren, and Timmins. Our prospects have low ceilings and aren't ready yet with Niemela, Webber and Chadwick. We need two top fours at least.

The next being we have lots of forwards and our prospects are closer to contributing. Centre is a weakness but we do have Matthews, Tavares, Domi (UFA, but we sign him), Holmberg, Dewar, Kampf, and Minten all options for next year. It's not perfect, but I think stronger than our D. We also have very strong wingers that can help carry lines too in Nylander, Bertuzzi (UFA, be we sign him), maybe Domi if not at C, Knies, McMann, Jarnkrok, and Cowan.

Our Goalie situation relies on Woll being good and healthy. I like Jones and Murray as third and fourth for depth and Hildeby as the unknown slotting in anywhere from 2nd to 5th. I am ok with a Stolarz or Broissant as our backup for a year or two.

Long way of saying, that I agree we need center help but we should prioritize elsewhere. The Oleksiak and Wright return for Marner is my ideal framework.
I like woll a lot but I dont think I would put all my eggs in his injury prone starting role basket.

That's total OVER three years. $2.667M to $3M PER year, not EACH year.

We friends again?
lol....phew ..though honestly I think Id rather just let him go.

yea were good.:thumbu:

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Connor Murphy + NSH 5th Round Draft Pick
To Chicago: Timothy Liljegren + Nick Robertson

To Toronto: Shea Theodore
To Vegas: Mitch Marner (50% retained by CHI)
To Chicago: Pontus Holmberg + Daniil Chayka

UFA Signing: Vincent Desharnais

McCabe - Theodore
Rielly - Murphy
Benoit - Desharnais

PP1 QB - Theodore
PP2 QB - Rielly

PK1 - McCabe - Murphy
PK2 - Benoit - Desharnais

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Feels like your missing the point. All the leafs top guys underpreformed again imo but 2 are locked up and the 3rd will def not waive in his final year. Being average to below average in the playoffs again and probably wanting a raise on his 11 milly is what puts a target on your back.

1- Every player except maybe knies/ Domi, Mccabe/Benoit and Woll undrrperformed.

2- No noby know if marner is ready to waive his NMC

3- No body know what expectation for marner in his next contract, if he resign at the same range of nylander, it is really a big deal?

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
1- Every player except maybe knies/ Domi, Mccabe/Benoit and Woll undrrperformed.

3- No body know what expectation for marner in his next contract, if he resign at the same range of nylander, it is really a big deal?

If marner would take the nylander deal I’d probably sign him July 1.

JT is easily the one we need to move away from over Mitch. It’s possible we do but I’m not totally convinced both need to go but we do need to reclaim and redistribute some of that cap.

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Yes because it means we are going to try and run it back again and again and again x8. Dont know about you but Im tired of the same thing over and over and over.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
lots of ifs and variables here, but IF Nashville thinks askarov is ready to be their guy and Saros is actually available, and Tavares was open to it (which is unlikely but possible) do you think there could be a deal around JT and Saros with us heavily retaining on JT for this season.

Doesn’t help our cap much this season, but it fills a major hole for us and does reallocate money a bit.

For Nashville, it helps them down the middle pretty significantly with a guy who I think fits well how they play hockey

Not suggesting it’s straight 1 for 1
Haven't Toronto fans been begging for Tavares to get bought out all year?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Haven't Toronto fans been begging for Tavares to get bought out all year?

No? JT is still a good player, he’s just way overpaid. Also a buy out does effectively nothing for us cap wise while putting us down a 2C

In either case, I wasn’t really suggesting there was any likelihood whatsoever to the thought. Mostly just bored of rehashing the same talking points

Reactions: aingefan and Zero1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad