GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
There is a good chance that the team that wins the Cup this season isn't going to have the traditional elite number one defenseman that others have traditionally had. Dallas doesn't, Florida doesn't, Edmonton doesn't - then it's a question of whether Fox or Hughes fall into that category (hard to argue against Hughes). At least one or two of the guys on potential Cup winners are likely going to be Leafs next season (Montour, Zadorov and Tanev).
Heiskanen??

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I've warmed up to this idea. I didn't realize Tomasino was from Mississauga. Sometimes, an "immaturity" issue could be homesickness. Not everyone is ready to leave home at 17 or 18. Being back home could help him both get support and a kick in the ass from family members. He's got all the tools to be a Top 6 forward.

Fabbro, like Lilly, has shown signs that he can play high in the line-up. Maybe it's as simple as a fresh start/new coach/new system for him to reach his potential.

Saros - I'm higher on him than others in this thread. I keep hearing about his size. That would be a concern if he was a prospect, but he's played 9 years in the NHL! That's a massive sample size. He's been over a .900 save percentage for 8 of the 9 years, which includes the last 3 where he's played over 60 games. I mean, there should not be any worry about his size or ability level at this point in time.
I’m on board with Tomasino and Fabbri as buy low candidates.
Same with Morgan Frost.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Where do people realistically think Rielly waives to go? For all players I default to hometown (VAN) or one of the 4 desired markets (DAL, VGK, FLA, TB) and you can maybe include NSH. Of those 6 teams the only one that makes any sense for Rielly is VAN. DAL/TB/NSH/VGK already have 2 high paid LD. FLA has cap troubles and would most likely rather pay Ekblad and Montour 7.5M than being in Rielly. SEA would be close to home and they also have no state tax but they also have LD depth. VAN could have a real hole at 2LD next season if Zadorov walks.

Curious what other teams people think Rielly would be willing to go to.
Detroit? Pretty sure his wife is from Windsor.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With Necas looking like his time in Carolina is over, I wonder if we could put together a package for him. Still young at only 25 years old, right handed shot center who could really solidify our top 6. Carolina is looking for a top 4 rhd and wing options.

To Toronto-
Martin Necas

To Carolina-
Timothy Liljegren
Calle Jarnkrok
Nick Robertson

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner (extended at 12M per for 8 years)

for

Brady Tkachuk

9 guaranteed years of Marner for 4 guaranteed years of Tkachuk. Tkachuk hasn't led the Senators to the playoffs and Marner has struggled to get the Leafs out of the first round. Ottawa could use some help getting into the playoffs and making playoff revenue and Toronto might like a complimentary power forward to add to their skill up front.
I doubt any team is paying him $12mx8, especially Ottawa.

With Necas looking like his time in Carolina is over, I wonder if we could put together a package for him. Still young at only 25 years old, right handed shot center who could really solidify our top 6. Carolina is looking for a top 4 rhd and wing options.

To Toronto-
Martin Necas

To Carolina-
Timothy Liljegren
Calle Jarnkrok
Nick Robertson
That would be highway robbery IMO.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I doubt any team is paying him $12mx8, especially Ottawa.

That would be highway robbery IMO.
I figured there would be an Ottawa tax applied. If he was going to waive and sign an extension there they would have to pay FA prices. There is no tax advantage and he is a UFA in a year with a NMC. He is coming off an 11M dollar contract and will likely seek a raise to play in Ontario.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

To Toronto-
Martin Necas

To Carolina-
Timothy Liljegren
Calle Jarnkrok
Nick Robertson
Necas wants to be on the 1st line and 1st unit powerplay, and also that offer does not get it done.

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Detroit? Pretty sure his wife is from Windsor.
Born in London but raised in Windsor. A Rielly - Seider pair would be real nice. I wish the Wings would do a Marner for Seider deal but that’s wishful thinking.

To Toronto-
Martin Necas

To Carolina-
Timothy Liljegren
Calle Jarnkrok
Nick Robertson
He hasn’t played much center for Carolina and when he has, he’s sucked in the circle. You’re better off moving Nylander in the middle if you’re trying to address the second line center position.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m leaning towards trying to facilitate a three way trade that involves Vegas with Theodore coming to Toronto, Marner going to Vegas (players always seem to waive to go to Vegas) and Chicago retaining 50% of Marners contract.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I figured there would be an Ottawa tax applied. If he was going to waive and sign an extension there they would have to pay FA prices. There is no tax advantage and he is a UFA in a year with a NMC. He is coming off an 11M dollar contract and will likely seek a raise to play in Ontario.
Yeah, but I doubt anybody is giving him a raise. See Johnny Hockey.

Reactions: Trapper

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Where do people realistically think Rielly waives to go? For all players I default to hometown (VAN) or one of the 4 desired markets (DAL, VGK, FLA, TB) and you can maybe include NSH. Of those 6 teams the only one that makes any sense for Rielly is VAN. DAL/TB/NSH/VGK already have 2 high paid LD. FLA has cap troubles and would most likely rather pay Ekblad and Montour 7.5M than being in Rielly. SEA would be close to home and they also have no state tax but they also have LD depth. VAN could have a real hole at 2LD next season if Zadorov walks.

Curious what other teams people think Rielly would be willing to go to.
Seattle

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not quite there with him yet.
He’s a very good D man. Certainly a #1.

————————

I’m still in the camp of moving Marner for forwards plus pick and signing D men. There are quite a few D men available this year.

Marner for Wright + 1st
Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok for Crouse, McBain + 1st.

You could end up with Lindstrom or Silayev with the Utah pick or Dickinson with the Seattle pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad