GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Jarnkrok and Kampf have got to go IMO. Not worth the money and not Berube style bottom 6 guys. Fill the bottom 6 with toughness and talented youth. We also already have Holmberg and Minten which makes Kampf useless.

In terms of Marner trades I really dont like the idea of the Saros deal. Theodore package is the only one I really like im open to keeping Marner and playing him at 2C like we already should have done.
Yup. Always been my issue with those two guys, especially Kampf, who unlike Jarkrok provides nothing else except defense. Of you're going to be a zero on offense you at least need to be providing some grit with that defense.

horner

May 22, 2007
Tanev has major risk

Age, + past health + play style.

Im worried he becomes a #4/5D next year and we end up paying a slightly better Brodie to be on our team

Chuchuran I like but we need to extend him. Dont want a 1 year player

Roy is solid signing though his lack of offense could hurt come playoffs

I think instead of tanev I give 4.5M to Zadorov for 2 years. Younger + more upside
Big Z will get 5.5 mil × 5 yrs

horner

May 22, 2007
I expect Treliving to completely change our defense this off-season.

1. Brodie and Lybushkin walk. We dont extend an offer
2. Liljegren traded for a 2nd rd pick. No salary retained or taken back.
3. Sign Montour and Vincent Desharnais
4. Re-sign Edmundson

Reilly - Montour
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Deharnais
Add Tanev

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Montour
Benoit Desharnais

Montour PP1

If Mo can't be better with Tanev trade him

He's gone, just a matter of what he's traded for

Another young defenseman in his situation like Fabbro or a young center in his situation like Glass
Maybe we can sucker another team like Washington to get a 1st rd pk

Reactions: Kiwi

horner

May 22, 2007
Joshua Dakota
I think he can be a 2nd or 3rd line winger in the mold of Hyman on the cheap
2.5 mil @ 4yrs
he is getting better and better

Loves to get involved physically and go to the net

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You think we could get a late 1st for him like his buddy Sandin? I'd probably even do it for a couple of 2nds in this draft.

I'd take either of those and run, Tre didn't draft him so he has no incentive to keep him and its obvious he's looking for a different type of player

Yes, and we have been betting on the wrong horses.

Fine but we need to make this trade count
We can't Kadri a Marner trade, that's catastrophic

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Add Tanev

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Montour
Benoit Desharnais

Montour PP1

If Mo can't be better with Tanev trade him

Maybe we can sucker another team like Washington to get a 1st rd pk
Fingers crossed, I'd take a 2nd and a 3rd even
Get something back and have another Crack at it

Reactions: horner

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'd take either of those and run, Tre didn't draft him so he has no incentive to keep him and its obvious he's looking for a different type of player

Fine but we need to make this trade count
We can't Kadri a Marner trade, that's catastrophic
I think both JT and MM should be traded this summer.
Still stand with trading MM to the Blues for Parayko, Binnington and a 1st.
Then trade JT for picks to free up cap space and sign Toffoli and Marchessault.
Then use the TJ money to sign Pesce.
Also trade Kampf and Calle for picks and try to trade for Bjugstad to play 3C as he is only a 2mil contract.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I think both JT and MM should be traded this summer.
Still stand with trading MM to the Blues for Parayko, Binnington and a 1st.
Then trade JT for picks to free up cap space and sign Toffoli and Marchessault.
Then use the TJ money to sign Pesce.
Also trade Kampf and Calle for picks and try to trade for Bjugstad to play 3C as he is only a 2mil contract.
Really don’t like that STL trade.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
There are a lot of quality dmen lined up for free agency, and we have a GM/coach who appreciate a deep blueline.

Really hoping we don't mess up this opportunity. If you could replace Benoit/Lybushkin in our top 4 with some combination of Roy, Skjei, Pesce, Tanev, Montour, DeMelo, Dillon, someone in. Marner trade, etc, that'd be a pretty solid upgrade (and for a team without an elite #1D, probably the type of blueline depth we really need to contend).

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
He's healthy, idk about work ethic, but he's seemingly been willing to put up with a lot, arguably he isn't the best forechecker and may end up one dimensional, but that dimension is scoring, which is what we lack,he's still putting up points with Milwaukee rn.

That's a lot of parts but I'd do it as a Pred fan, would even swap out picks for our 1st if it came down to it.

I doubt Stastny moves given that Fabbro and Carrier might move and we lack the depth.
Thanks again for the input.
So an offence first right winger/centre. One of our posters posted about him a year or so ago, showing positive defensive results. He’s an interesting guy/profile to me. Similar to Fabbro, seems to get some tough move for some reason.
Appreciate the insights.
I did have that massive TOR/NSH trade above - might be more viable than I thought lol

View attachment 872542

Robertson / Tomasino swap
Liljegren / Fabbro swap

Saros, 2nd, 3rd for Marner, Jarnkrok, 5th, 7th

I'm not sure it's my favorite deal but maybe there is a 2 for 2 trade there involving Robertson, Liljegren for Tomasino and Fabbro.

Brunette seemed to express frustration with Tomasino & they scratched Fabbro quite a bit.
I could see some traction on Marner for Saros as a base, but I think that part of your proposal is too lean. Goalies don’t carry that much value, I don’t think.
But I do like lots of pieces from the Nashville side.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Yes, Tanev's play styles is what we've been missing, but it's also not a play style that tends to age well. Tanev will be 35 in December.

The Leafs don't really ahve the assets with which to start trying to replace him if he ends up on the LTIR.

This. The focus on a Marner trade needs to be on guys that we know will help us beyond this year. Not Saros who's contract we will immediately regret when we run into a team that has a $3m goalie go toe-to-toe with him.
If they are winning with Saros why does it matter if the other team has a 3 million dollar goalie?

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I did have that massive TOR/NSH trade above - might be more viable than I thought lol

View attachment 872542

Robertson / Tomasino swap
Liljegren / Fabbro swap

Saros, 2nd, 3rd for Marner, Jarnkrok, 5th, 7th

I'm not sure it's my favorite deal but maybe there is a 2 for 2 trade there involving Robertson, Liljegren for Tomasino and Fabbro.

Brunette seemed to express frustration with Tomasino & they scratched Fabbro quite a bit.
I've warmed up to this idea. I didn't realize Tomasino was from Mississauga. Sometimes, an "immaturity" issue could be homesickness. Not everyone is ready to leave home at 17 or 18. Being back home could help him both get support and a kick in the ass from family members. He's got all the tools to be a Top 6 forward.

Fabbro, like Lilly, has shown signs that he can play high in the line-up. Maybe it's as simple as a fresh start/new coach/new system for him to reach his potential.

Saros - I'm higher on him than others in this thread. I keep hearing about his size. That would be a concern if he was a prospect, but he's played 9 years in the NHL! That's a massive sample size. He's been over a .900 save percentage for 8 of the 9 years, which includes the last 3 where he's played over 60 games. I mean, there should not be any worry about his size or ability level at this point in time.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
There is a good chance that the team that wins the Cup this season isn't going to have the traditional elite number one defenseman that others have traditionally had. Dallas doesn't, Florida doesn't, Edmonton doesn't - then it's a question of whether Fox or Hughes fall into that category (hard to argue against Hughes). At least one or two of the guys on potential Cup winners are likely going to be Leafs next season (Montour, Zadorov and Tanev).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There is a good chance that the team that wins the Cup this season isn't going to have the traditional elite number one defenseman that others have traditionally had. Dallas doesn't, Florida doesn't, Edmonton doesn't - then it's a question of whether Fox or Hughes fall into that category (hard to argue against Hughes). At least one or two of the guys on potential Cup winners are likely going to be Leafs next season (Montour, Zadorov and Tanev).

Heiskanen is a clear #1 defenseman, if he's not then our definition of #1 is much different. Hughes and Fox are 100% #1 defensemen. Florida and the Oilers are probably in that no #1 defenseman bubble, it's very much a committee thing in terms of quality.

This off-season has a lot of quality defensemen available to sign for just cap space. I wouldn't say there's a #1 or whatever term you wanna use but this team doesn't need it. You just need to add quality and depth. Can't make a mistake there so I hope the scouts and Treliving get it right.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Heiskanen is pretty solid. Definitely a bonafide #1, but not Makar level

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Marner (extended at 12M per for 8 years)

for

Brady Tkachuk

9 guaranteed years of Marner for 4 guaranteed years of Tkachuk. Tkachuk hasn't led the Senators to the playoffs and Marner has struggled to get the Leafs out of the first round. Ottawa could use some help getting into the playoffs and making playoff revenue and Toronto might like a complimentary power forward to add to their skill up front.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I expect Treliving to completely change our defense this off-season.

1. Brodie and Lybushkin walk. We dont extend an offer
2. Liljegren traded for a 2nd rd pick. No salary retained or taken back.
3. Sign Montour and Vincent Desharnais
4. Re-sign Edmundson

Reilly - Montour
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Deharnais
I’d like to see Rielly replaced with someone else, perhaps Paryoko can be had for Mo?

Culture > any player

I’d like to get a great return too, but that’s all just a bonus.
Addition by subtraction, any assets are just icing on the cake…….

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There is a good chance that the team that wins the Cup this season isn't going to have the traditional elite number one defenseman that others have traditionally had. Dallas doesn't, Florida doesn't, Edmonton doesn't
Heiskanen is legitimately a top 5 defenseman in the league.

Forsling/Montour/Ekblad might be the best collection of 3 defenseman on any roster.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marner (extended at 12M per for 8 years)

for

Brady Tkachuk

9 guaranteed years of Marner for 4 guaranteed years of Tkachuk. Tkachuk hasn't led the Senators to the playoffs and Marner has struggled to get the Leafs out of the first round. Ottawa could use some help getting into the playoffs and making playoff revenue and Toronto might like a complimentary power forward to add to their skill up front.
I’d do that……..

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Where do people realistically think Rielly waives to go? For all players I default to hometown (VAN) or one of the 4 desired markets (DAL, VGK, FLA, TB) and you can maybe include NSH. Of those 6 teams the only one that makes any sense for Rielly is VAN. DAL/TB/NSH/VGK already have 2 high paid LD. FLA has cap troubles and would most likely rather pay Ekblad and Montour 7.5M than being in Rielly. SEA would be close to home and they also have no state tax but they also have LD depth. VAN could have a real hole at 2LD next season if Zadorov walks.

Curious what other teams people think Rielly would be willing to go to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad