GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's free now
It gives us a replacement with more offensive upside, I'm trying for more scoring in the bottom 6
This kind of deal would make sense. I'm not sure Detroit would want Liljegren given their logjam on D though. They have Walman-Seider locked in to the lineup, it sounds like Edvinsson and Albert Johansson are expected to start the year in Detroit, then they have Maatta, Petry, Holl, Chiarot under contract.

Liljegren for Drury, McBain or Frost would also work.
Yeah I'm just looking for a young center in a similar situation to Liljegren to trade him for

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Putting this out in the universe.

Sign Roy @ 5x$5.5 mill AAV
Sign Tanev @ 2x$4.5 mill AAV
Trade Liljegren + Robertson + 1st for Chychrun + 2nd

Rielly-Roy
Chychrun-Tanev
Benoit-McCabe
Tanev has major risk

Age, + past health + play style.

Im worried he becomes a #4/5D next year and we end up paying a slightly better Brodie to be on our team

Chuchuran I like but we need to extend him. Dont want a 1 year player

Roy is solid signing though his lack of offense could hurt come playoffs

I think instead of tanev I give 4.5M to Zadorov for 2 years. Younger + more upside

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It gives us a replacement with more offensive upside
That's basically my point. We could move on from Kampf anytime now.

Holmberg steps in and we're not in a position to run a defensive 4th line with Reaves anyways.

Make the proposed trade or not, either way you can move on from Kampf

Reactions: horner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Holmberg steps in and we're not in a position to run a defensive 4th line with Reaves anyways.

Well the other thing is that Kampf's thing is a defensively responsible / good pk centre right? Our PK sucked and at 2.4M...we can probably find someone that offers similar contributions for a bit less.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Well the other thing is that Kampf's thing is a defensively responsible / good pk centre right? Our PK sucked and at 2.4M...we can probably find someone that offers similar contributions for a bit less.
He's not useless, he's just under utilized for his cap and that'll only get worse

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He makes to much, if we're moving money out he's an obvious one

Reactions: OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He makes to much, if we're moving money out he's an obvious one
Yeah Kampf is an obvious cap-dump to make this offseason for a multitude of reason.

1. Overpaid for a 4th line center
2. Offensive blackhole
3. We have cheaper/better options already (Holmberg)
4. Zero toughness for a botton 6 forward. Not a Berbube/Treliving type of player

Reactions: Kurtz and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah Kampf is an obvious cap-dump to make this offseason for a multitude of reason.

1. Overpaid for a 4th line center
2. Offensive blackhole
3. We have cheaper/better options already (Holmberg)
4. Zero toughness for a botton 6 forward. Not a Berbube/Treliving type of player

Minten isn't far off either

Reactions: OVO16

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd bet his production would have been closer to that than it currently is if he came to Toronto. He went to Florida and immediately rode shotgun with Huberdeau then transitioned to Tkachuk. He would have played 3C in Toronto the last couple years with limited offensive talent around him.
Many wanted him because he was better in the playoffs, unlike you know who.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I expect Treliving to completely change our defense this off-season.

1. Brodie and Lybushkin walk. We dont extend an offer
2. Liljegren traded for a 2nd rd pick. No salary retained or taken back.
3. Sign Montour and Vincent Desharnais
4. Re-sign Edmundson

Reilly - Montour
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Deharnais

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'd bet his production would have been closer to that than it currently is if he came to Toronto. He went to Florida and immediately rode shotgun with Huberdeau then transitioned to Tkachuk. He would have played 3C in Toronto the last couple years with limited offensive talent around him.

If added back then, he probably should have gone LW behind Hyman.

4. Re-sign Edmundson

Reilly - Montour
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Deharnais

That's horrifying. Rielly with Montour would be a disaster, and we have two 3rd pairings.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
If Reilly is still around Ideally you create a better 1st pair pushing Reilly down.

Skeji Roy
Reilly Tanev
Benoit McCabe

About 19-20 million in 3 signings

Reactions: TheShape

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Jarnkrok and Kampf have got to go IMO. Not worth the money and not Berube style bottom 6 guys. Fill the bottom 6 with toughness and talented youth. We also already have Holmberg and Minten which makes Kampf useless.

In terms of Marner trades I really dont like the idea of the Saros deal. Theodore package is the only one I really like im open to keeping Marner and playing him at 2C like we already should have done.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Noah Dobson
To Islanders: Mitch Marner + Timothy Liljegren

Re-sign: Tyler Bertuzzi (5.5) + Max Domi (4)

Sign: Chandler Stephenson (6) + Yakov Trenin (2) + Vincent Desharnais (1.75) + Chris Tanev (4.5)

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Stephenson - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Cowan
Grebenkin - Holmberg - Trenin

McCabe - Dobson
Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - Desharnais

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Jarnkrok and Kampf have got to go IMO. Not worth the money and not Berube style bottom 6 guys. Fill the bottom 6 with toughness and talented youth. We also already have Holmberg and Minten which makes Kampf useless.

On a Berube team, you'll need PKers. Can't get rid of all the best ones and expect to replace them with ELC and league minimum contracts.

In terms of Marner trades I really dont like the idea of the Saros deal. Theodore package is the only one I really like im open to keeping Marner and playing him at 2C like we already should have done.

Marner absolutely has to go. Can't change the culture with him here. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the other guys are tired of his childish antics.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
On a Berube team, you'll need PKers. Can't get rid of all the best ones and expect to replace them with ELC and league minimum contracts.

Marner absolutely has to go. Can't change the culture with him here. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the other guys are tired of his childish antics.

You can trade Marner but for a 30 year old goaltender who will need a massive pay rise after next season is completely unacceptable to me

We're talking a 100 point Selke vote RW here

Ideally our best chip should be for high value hard to aquire assets like top 4D or top 6C, preferably young with team control

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tanev has major risk

Age, + past health + play style.

Im worried he becomes a #4/5D next year and we end up paying a slightly better Brodie to be on our team

Chuchuran I like but we need to extend him. Dont want a 1 year player

Roy is solid signing though his lack of offense could hurt come playoffs

I think instead of tanev I give 4.5M to Zadorov for 2 years. Younger + more upside
Tanev major risk?
When we gonna stop with the injury history
He’s played and very well last few seasons and he’s signing short term prob

Play style? It’s exactly what we have been missing
U want the same type defender we always get offensive puck mover that can’t defend?

Sounds like he will be our #1 priority since tre has history of going for him if it wasn’t his relationship with Calgary!!!

Reactions: horner

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You can trade Marner but for a 30 year old goaltender who will need a massive pay rise after next season is completely unacceptable to me

Ideally our best chip should be for high value hard to aquire assets like top 4D or top 6C, preferably young with team control

Culture > any player

I’d like to get a great return too, but that’s all just a bonus.

Reactions: Frostitute

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

4. Re-sign Edmundson

Reilly - Montour
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Deharnais
I think all of this is actually very realistic.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Tanev major risk?
When we gonna stop with the injury history
He’s played and very well last few seasons and he’s signing short term prob

Play style? It’s exactly what we have been missing
U want the same type defender we always get offensive puck mover that can’t defend?

Sounds like he will be our #1 priority since tre has history of going for him if it wasn’t his relationship with Calgary!!!

Yes, Tanev's play styles is what we've been missing, but it's also not a play style that tends to age well. Tanev will be 35 in December.

The Leafs don't really ahve the assets with which to start trying to replace him if he ends up on the LTIR.

This. The focus on a Marner trade needs to be on guys that we know will help us beyond this year. Not Saros who's contract we will immediately regret when we run into a team that has a $3m goalie go toe-to-toe with him.

Reactions: Kiwi

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Tanev gives me too much of Gio vibes, only more expensive. He's good now, but you know he's getting that 3rd year and could fall off a cliff in his play much like how Gio did.

I'd be happy with signing one of Montour,Roy,Skjei,Walker,Pesce and trading Lillypad for another d-man. I don't see Toronto signing two top teir d-man in FA without overpaying.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Montour is my preferable target as a top 4 D....but I think florida will do everything to retain both Montour and Reinhart. They have a good thing going over there.

I expect Matt Roy to be a maple leaf

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
It feels like we are so full of left handed wingers. Seems like Domi and Bert are going to both resign for reasonable deals. Knies, Mcmann, Robertson, Dewar. Cowan is probably going to be on the team. JT is probably going to have to move to the wing if hes still here. I know Domi and Mcmann can play the right but its kind of a lot.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
He's gone, just a matter of what he's traded for

Another young defenseman in his situation like Fabbro or a young center in his situation like Glass
You think we could get a late 1st for him like his buddy Sandin? I'd probably even do it for a couple of 2nds in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad