GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At the time Robertson’s stock was pretty high if I remember correctly. Looked like a draft steal so this makes sense.
They'd have been selling high and buying low. We seldom to that.

Curious which team initiated the discussions
Everybody knew Bennett was being traded. I'm guessing Dubas inquired and Tre asked for Robertson.

Reactions: Zero1 and Menzinger

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
One player I would love the leafs to target via trade would be Toropchenko. Berube is very familiar with him, and he's the perfect 3rd line winger for this team with the way Berube is going to want to play.

Reactions: uncleben

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Thanks for the input.
There’s a clip above with your coach/gm talking about him….almost suggesting work ethic or attitude or entitlement questions. What’s that all about?
How’s his health?

He's healthy, idk about work ethic, but he's seemingly been willing to put up with a lot, arguably he isn't the best forechecker and may end up one dimensional, but that dimension is scoring, which is what we lack,he's still putting up points with Milwaukee rn.
HI feel like if Marner to Nashville happens, it's a blockbuster deal right?

Is this deal too big?

Robertson/Tomasino swap because I think both organizations want to change
Same for Liljegren/Fabbro
Saros+picks for Marner+extra picks
Nashville regains a former player that Trotz would be familiar with.

View attachment 872395
That's a lot of parts but I'd do it as a Pred fan, would even swap out picks for our 1st if it came down to it.
Nah, 32 points as a 20-year-old, he could still be quite good. He would be one of the pieces I'd want.

Spencer Stastney as well.
I doubt Stastny moves given that Fabbro and Carrier might move and we lack the depth.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't know if he was ever seriously available, but I remember there being a decent amount of chatter around the tdl this year surrounding Parayko, can't help but wonder if Tre starts circling in on him or any of the other Blues (not sure who else may be on the market)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Trades happen within the division that aren't overpayments.
I can't think of many, especially when you know the Sens are looking to make the jump to a playoff team now. If you're getting generic value you'd be better off dumping cross division, cross conference or to a team rebuilding where they could get more ice time. The Habs are a better landing spot for Robertson than Sens as an example as they're looking at a few years before building up.

Got any examples of a Leafs to B's/Habs/Sens trade that would be similar? I've got Grabbo to us as a bottom feeder who is rebuilding and Kessel to Toronto paying an additional first over the RFA offer. Then some deadline tinkering with teams clearly out of contention

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know if he was ever seriously available, but I remember there being a decent amount of chatter around the tdl this year surrounding Parayko, can't help but wonder if Tre starts circling in on him or any of the other Blues (not sure who else may be on the market)

I think it's only logical to assume a coach may want a couple guys off his former team if he really liked them and if the cost to acquire them is reasonable.

Reactions: Menzinger

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Never heard it before but yesterday Kyper said Leafs refused to moved Robertson in a Bennett trade with Calgary.
He's been referencing this for the last couple weeks. I'm not sure if it's something that was on the table for the Leafs but he proposed a Robertson for Bennett swap like 2 weeks before the Bennett to Florida deal actually happened and twitter jumped all over him for it because Robertson was coming off that crazy season in the OHL and he was having a decent rookie year in the AHL.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's been referencing this for the last couple weeks. I'm not sure if it's something that was on the table for the Leafs but he proposed a Robertson for Bennett swap like 2 weeks before the Bennett to Florida deal actually happened and twitter jumped all over him for it because Robertson was coming off that crazy season in the OHL and he was having a decent rookie year in the AHL.
Bennett was also at 12 points on the year then, and 12 points the year prior.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To the surprise of no one;

1715987671651.png

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's gone, just a matter of what he's drafted for

Another young defenseman in his situation like Fabbro or a young center in his situation like Glass

I did have that massive TOR/NSH trade above - might be more viable than I thought lol

1715987926863.png

Robertson / Tomasino swap
Liljegren / Fabbro swap

Saros, 2nd, 3rd for Marner, Jarnkrok, 5th, 7th

I'm not sure it's my favorite deal but maybe there is a 2 for 2 trade there involving Robertson, Liljegren for Tomasino and Fabbro.

Brunette seemed to express frustration with Tomasino & they scratched Fabbro quite a bit.

Reactions: ToneDog

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Bennett was also at 12 points on the year then, and 12 points the year prior.
I'd bet his production would have been closer to that than it currently is if he came to Toronto. He went to Florida and immediately rode shotgun with Huberdeau then transitioned to Tkachuk. He would have played 3C in Toronto the last couple years with limited offensive talent around him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I did have that massive TOR/NSH trade above - might be more viable than I thought lol

View attachment 872542

Robertson / Tomasino swap
Liljegren / Fabbro swap

Saros, 2nd, 3rd for Marner, Jarnkrok, 5th, 7th

I'm not sure it's my favorite deal but maybe there is a 2 for 2 trade there involving Robertson, Liljegren for Tomasino and Fabbro.

Brunette seemed to express frustration with Tomasino & they scratched Fabbro quite a bit.
That's a lot of names

I wonder if Detroit would do Liljegren for Veleno? Basically the same age depth players

That frees up Kampf to be traded

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I wonder if Detroit would do Liljegren for Veleno? Basically the same age depth players
This kind of deal would make sense. I'm not sure Detroit would want Liljegren given their logjam on D though. They have Walman-Seider locked in to the lineup, it sounds like Edvinsson and Albert Johansson are expected to start the year in Detroit, then they have Maatta, Petry, Holl, Chiarot under contract.

Liljegren for Drury, McBain or Frost would also work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad