GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think he's more likely to waive his NMC. He can still get another decent contract and I don't see the leafs even considering it. If the the leafs go to him and offer the prospect of bringing up that process a year early.

JT post July 1st has only a $910k cap hit. Making the process of trading even easier.

The reason he came to the Leafs, is because his family is from the area, but more so that his wife's family and work is in the area. They have young kids, that are being raised near the grandparents.

The odds of uprooting that, are a number approaching zero. I think it's far more likely that he'd take a deep discount to stay, than be worried about earning another decent contract elsewhere, and uprooting his family away from his wife's career and family. Dude has earned over $100mil by the end of this contract, I doubt money is his primary motivator anymore.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Good call - I missed that Colorado season.

Demelo played 19 minutes/game at ES, 2:30 on the PK. Zadorov played 15:20 at ES, 1:30 on the PK (for VAN).

I'm not sure if they'd want to put Zadorov on the PP. His career high in assists is 18.

He is no doubt stepping up for the Canucks right now but he was also 6th (bottom pair) in ice time for Vancouver defenseman this season.

Montour had similar assist numbers on Buffalo, where he didn't play much on the PP. He comes to Florida, they make him their primary PP guy and he puts up a 70 point season and now folks are ready to give him $7mil on the free agency market.

Again, if you ignore context when citing these data points, you're going to be led down the wrong path. Don't fixate on Zadorov's high being 18 assists when he's never had PP time, and think about how his skillset would fit this particular team. Could we use his shot on our PP? 100% yes. If he's on our PP, does he top that 18 assist mark? He crushes it.

And him being elevated in ice time in the playoffs compared to regular season is a point in his favour is it not?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Montour had similar assist numbers on Buffalo, where he didn't play much on the PP. He comes to Florida, they make him their primary PP guy and he puts up a 70 point season and now folks are ready to give him $7mil on the free agency market.

Again, if you ignore context when citing these data points, you're going to be led down the wrong path. Don't fixate on Zadorov's high being 18 assists when he's never had PP time, and think about how his skillset would fit this particular team. Could we use his shot on our PP? 100% yes. If he's on our PP, does he top that 18 assist mark? He crushes it.
Montour was a point per game player in college, he scored 57 points in 68 games in the AHL at 21, 32 in 36 at 22. He had 23 assists in his first full NHL season at 23. Zadorov does not have that history of offensive production.
And him being elevated in ice time in the playoffs compared to regular season is a point in his favour is it not?
It absolutely is but it's an awfully small sample to support paying him 5-6M to hope he continues to do this for multiple years while also playing his off side.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
My biggest concern with Treliving is if there is a tendency to just try to recycle the guys he had in Calgary.

As annoying as Dubas and his Soo club personnel decisions, I would hate if Treliving took the path of least resistance and just went after former Calgary players.

Zadorov is going to get paid, and we have bigger priorities to spend money on. We need a 2C and 2 RHD that can play.

Enough putting LHD to play in the right side. Do it properly. Other teams have an embarrassing amount of RHD, current and pipeline. We literally had 1 RHD and 5 LHD playing most nights. Gross imbalance. Fix it.

We persist on playing guys on their offside and it drives me batshit.

Being in any 2 of:

Roy
Pesce
Roy
DeMelo
Desharnais

Keep Timmins and see what we have in Niemala, while allowing Liljegren to actually have a some RHD. Draft Elick and we are in some serious business.

No interest in Zadorov. If you do bring him in, you need to look at moving McCabe, but does that make sense considering the value contract we have McCabe on? Is it that much of an improvement? I guess it would depend on McCabe’s trade value….

The only Calgary retreads I’d want are Lindholm for 2C and Weegar in a trade, if it makes sense.

Come on Treliving, do your job with no shortcuts.

Last edited:

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Putting this out in the universe.

Sign Roy @ 5x$5.5 mill AAV
Sign Tanev @ 2x$4.5 mill AAV
Trade Liljegren + Robertson + 1st for Chychrun + 2nd

Rielly-Roy
Chychrun-Tanev
Benoit-McCabe

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Last year's pressers were electric with Shanny and Dubas. I remember Shanny was like, I was driving on the Gardiner (or was it the DVP) and I realized in that moment, we needed a new GM. lmao

It's sad that the best part of Leafs' post season is the entertainment value from the aftermath of an early playoff exit every year.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Resign Domi
Resign Edmundson
Let Bertuzzi walk
Brodie Gio and Lyubushkin all gone

Trade Marner for Saros plus
Trade Jarnkrok for picks or prospects
Trade Kampf for anything
Trade liligren for picks or prospects

Sign Tanev
Sign Zadorov

Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Nylander
Robertson Minten Grebyonkin
Gregor Holmberg Reaves

Reilly Tanev
Zadorov Edmundson
Benoit McCabe

Saros
Woll

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Rielly - Pesce
Skeji - Mccabe
Benoit - Liljegren

That would probably cost the Leafs 7M for Skeji, 6-7M for Pesce.

Definitely a start to something different.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Demelo has fluctuated between 17 and 22 minutes (average TOI/season) since 2018. This was his 1st season where he average over 21 minutes/game, 2nd season over 20, 4th over 19. Zadorov's career high is 19:12 on a non-playoff Chicago team in 20-21.

We absolutely should but why not aim higher for a Tanev/Montour or even Roy.

He also might not go back to Nashville:

Skip ahead to the 40 second mark.

I don't like the sound of Tomasino. The implied immaturity. :nono:

Reactions: Americanadian

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
if NSH is the Marner destination I'd be interested in Tommy Novak being part of the return

Could be a 2C for 3.5, though his defensive numbers are pretty concerning

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
if NSH is the Marner destination I'd be interested in Tommy Novak being part of the return

Could be a 2C for 3.5, though his defensive numbers are pretty concerning

He just extended, he could have went UFA this summer.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Tomasino is streaky AF as well, no need for that kid.
Nashville fan here, the treatment of Tomasino as well as Fabbro is dumbfounding for us. They both started out well only to be rewarded with playing bottom line minutes sitting next to grinders. Everyone on the Nashville boards feels like Tomasino will break out ala Tolvanen if/when given the chance, we just hope we can get something for him and not waived.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Montour was a point per game player in college, he scored 57 points in 68 games in the AHL at 21, 32 in 36 at 22. He had 23 assists in his first full NHL season at 23. Zadorov does not have that history of offensive production.

It absolutely is but it's an awfully small sample to support paying him 5-6M to hope he continues to do this for multiple years while also playing his off side.
That settles it, lets get both..:)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nashville fan here, the treatment of Tomasino as well as Fabbro is dumbfounding for us. They both started out well only to be rewarded with playing bottom line minutes sitting next to grinders. Everyone on the Nashville boards feels like Tomasino will break out ala Tolvanen if/when given the chance, we just hope we can get something for him and not waived.

I didn't see every game for the Preds but Fabbro was weird to observe, I swear I would see him top pair or top 4 and then gone for a couple games out of the line up healthy scratched...

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I didn't see every game for the Preds but Fabbro was weird to observe, I swear I would see him top pair or top 4 and then gone for a couple games out of the line up healthy scratched...
Exactly, just stupid coaching decisions imo. He was glued to Josi's pairing when he hit 95 points, seems a no brainer they'd be together.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Thanks for the input.
There’s a clip above with your coach/gm talking about him….almost suggesting work ethic or attitude or entitlement questions. What’s that all about?
How’s his health?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Exactly, just stupid coaching decisions imo. He was glued to Josi's pairing when he hit 95 points, seems a no brainer they'd be together.

I feel like if Marner to Nashville happens, it's a blockbuster deal right?

Is this deal too big?

Robertson/Tomasino swap because I think both organizations want to change
Same for Liljegren/Fabbro
Saros+picks for Marner+extra picks
Nashville regains a former player that Trotz would be familiar with.

1715975998576.png

Reactions: Soundgarden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad