GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
In my latest update to Capfriendly Armchair-GM, I managed to sign Roy, Montour and Zadorov... (4.8, 7.5, 5 mil each) and still have $2.5 remaining in cap space. That's moving on from Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren. It's incredibly ambitious to think that you can sign all of those guys, but if Marner goes out, we probably can do it cap wise. Argue that I've overpaid, or underpaid... and that's fine.. there's room to pay more, and if I've overpaid, it's more room to upgrade elsewhere.

Marner/Kampf/Jarnkrok to Utah for 2024 1st, McBain, Crouse.... Leafs build a team to play big boy hockey.
I like what your proposing………

Those prices don't seem to crazy but some of the contracts handed out every summer are usually Jeff Finger stupid.
Jeff Finger……..the stupidest move the Silver Fox ever made……..

• Haha
Reactions: Burnie97

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yeah count me in the Zadorov contract gonna look terrible in 2 years camp.

If we want physicality, bring back Edmundson and sign Deharnais. Should be had for cheaper. Edmundson won a stanley cup with Berube

Reilly - Montour
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Deharnais

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

If we want physicality, bring back Edmundson and sign Deharnais. Should be had for cheaper. Edmundson won a stanley cup with Berube

Reilly - Montour
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Deharnais
Agreed.
Also, gotta resist the temptation to lock up so much term in UFA of the same age range.
I’m hoping for a diverse approach - maybe one UFA at their prime. one riser/late bloomer, keep developing guys in house, and scour around for future value.
The urge to overspend on AAV or term can cause problems. Please be judicious.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
a 5x5 contract for Zadorov would be one of the worst contracts given out on July 1st. You don't and cannot overpay for a d-man like that.

That will be horrible, absolutely horrible
Really like what Zadorov brings but no way that should be the price for him

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Think the leafs could get Freddie for a 3rd. Would be a good tandem with Woll as long as it's understood even before training camp that Woll is the guy for the playoffs.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I couldn’t disagree more. Either way - if the Leafs offer Tavares league minimum and he doesn’t want to play anywhere else or retire, therefore he takes the deal, the PA won’t do anything. They can’t force him to move or retire.
I actually don't disagree with you. If Tavares takes $3M or $1M per year neither will make the PA happy. I am just not too greedy on that ...JT at $3M is still a good number and a deep hometown discount. I would be happy at $1M or league minimum for him too.

Reactions: Americanadian

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yes it may be. Hopefully Nylander can start to show up on a more consistent basis.
Looking at the goal scorers in the final 2 Leaf games vs the Bruins.......who do I see?

Are we thinking Marner is actually consistent?? 🤣🤣 Playoffs matter, that is part of "consistency".

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Zadorov at 5x5 is going to be the Jeff Finger contract.

I love Z but 3.5-4M x 3 years is probably about the max you go but GMs get stupid on July 1st.

Wasn't Jeff Finger just a case of mistaken identity? Our GM confused him for someone else and gave him that absurd deal as a result? Or did that turn out to be an old wife's tale?

Anyway, I predict the complete opposite, that Zadorov will make a massive impact on our blueline and will become a fan favourite almost immediately, and for Brodie money it'll be a perfectly cromulent deal. Ours is a team full of guys who shy away from the big moment (Knies and a couple of others aside) and Zadorov seems to relish in it.

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think whoever signs zadorov will be happy at first watching him play but his contract won’t age well. I can see him getting 5 million plus from someone.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Wasn't Jeff Finger just a case of mistaken identity? Our GM confused him for someone else and gave him that absurd deal as a result? Or did that turn out to be an old wife's tale?

Anyway, I predict the complete opposite, that Zadorov will make a massive impact on our blueline and will become a fan favourite almost immediately, and for Brodie money it'll be a perfectly cromulent deal. Ours is a team full of guys who shy away from the big moment (Knies and a couple of others aside) and Zadorov seems to relish in it.
Brodie was a top pair RD with extremely good defensive impacts, that's why he was worth 5M before he fell off a cliff

Zadorov is big, will be physical and is a bottom pair defenseman

There's no way in hell he's worth 5M a year, not even close

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think whoever signs zadorov will be happy at first watching him play but his contract won’t age well. I can see him getting 5 million plus from someone.

I don't even think he'll be worth it in his first season. For 5M+, you're expecting a #2-3 dman, not a #4-5 dman. If he signs 5 X 5M, it'll look bad in year one.

Brodie for example, who is just finishing a contract at 5M, has an average time on ice for his career of 22:14. Zadorov's is 18:05 (and looking more recently, his average over three years in Calgary was 17:55, and his average through 54 regular season games with the Canucks was 17:04).

The 5 dmen who played closest to 18:05 this season? Boqvist, Edvinsson, Stecher, Coghlan, and Bogosian - I'm not seeing 5M dmen here. There are a ton of dmen on UFA contracts who play more minutes than Zadorov who are paid less.

He's having a good playoff run over a small sample size, but the dude has a ~650 game career sample size that I'm going to trust more.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I would not be surprised if he got that and it will be a big time mistake I think.
As long as it’s not the Leafs giving it to him.

Reilly - Montour
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Deharnais
I really liked what Edmundson brought to the backend. My biggest concern would be how healthy he is, and the term if we did bring him back.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Think the leafs could get Freddie for a 3rd. Would be a good tandem with Woll as long as it's understood even before training camp that Woll is the guy for the playoffs.
I hope they do not do that. Two goalies with health issues would be a recipe for disaster!

Reactions: TMLAM34

horner

May 22, 2007
I guess so. The one thing I liked about Bert but it can contributed to Domi as well. Matthews seemed a bit more feisty with them as line mates.

We haven't fully seen it but I think McMann could be a pretty good playoff player, Domi seems to be not overly soft, as is Knies.

I would be against replacing Bert with Toffoli in our current set up, but if we move Marner. I could be for it as it could potentially give us room for a "soft" player.

We've been able to battle with toughness outside of really Florida, at this point I just want to score in the playoffs so I'm open to anything lol.
If Marner or JT are moved defence.
Personally I would trade Rielly and Ljiligren

We didn't get alot of goals from the backend.

Montour PP1 top pairing plays 25 min a night
A viable from the point
Zadorov PP2 Bomb from the point

Montour Rielly unless he is traded
Roy McCabe
Desharnais Benoit

If Marner and Rielly is traded use assets for a ÿoung top 2 dman

Sign
Monahan

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Nah, there's a very compelling argument that the rationale that Fletch/Wilson used to justify the signing was much more accurate if applied to fellow Avs defenseman Kurt Sauer

Reactions: Kurtz

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Zadorov might not be worth $5 mil, but then, supply and demand dictate price... not play on ice. If you'd prefer, Edmundson could be had for around $3 mil. Someone is going to pay him near that.... if we want a good D core, we are going to have to pay... probably overpay.. .sucks, but it is what it is... Maybe just bring Lagesson instead?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Zadorov might not be worth $5 mil, but then, supply and demand dictate price... not play on ice. If you'd prefer, Edmundson could be had for around $3 mil. Someone is going to pay him near that.... if we want a good D core, we are going to have to pay... probably overpay.. .sucks, but it is what it is... Maybe just bring Lagesson instead?
Why do they need a LD? They can just run Rielly-McCabe-Benoit as 1-2-3. They also have Webber as 4LD. The Leafs would be much better off spending that 5M on one of the 2nd tier RD (Demelo, Tanev) who can play next to any of those LD and played 20 minutes/game this year.

Reactions: Skullz

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Desharnais seems like a good Edmundson replacement. Tre has shown interest in the player in the past as well.

Benoit - Desharnais, I’d be fine with that third pair. Put more money into the top four.

Why do they need a LD? They can just run Rielly-McCabe-Benoit as 1-2-3.
McCabe has shown throughout his career, he’s perfectly fine playing his off side. That was one of the reasons I kept bringing his name up before we actually traded for him as I thought he would be a solid player next to Rielly.

I’m not rooting for this as I think Zadorov will be overpaid but you can run Zadorov - McCabe. Would be fun to watch lol

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
McCabe has shown throughout his career, he’s perfectly fine playing his off side. That was one of the reasons I kept bringing his name up before we actually traded for him as I thought he would be a solid player next to Rielly.

I’m not rooting for this as I think Zadorov will be overpaid but you can run Zadorov - McCabe. Would be fun to watch lol
McCabe can play his off-side but he's better on the left side. Why handicap him to accommodate a player who has eclipsed 19 minutes/game once in his career? For reference: Benoit-McCabe was a good pair for the Leafs (2 LHD), Benoit played 0:13 less per game than Zadorov this season. I'm not saying he's better than Zadorov but at 1.35M vs 5M+ he's a better asset than Zadorov.

Demelo averaged 4 minute/game more than Zadorov and will probably get less on the open market. He would be the correct piece to add next to McCabe.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
McCabe can play his off-side but he's better on the left side. Why handicap him to accommodate a player who has eclipsed 19 minutes/game once in his career? For reference: Benoit-McCabe was a good pair for the Leafs (2 LHD), Benoit played 0:13 less per game than Zadorov this season. I'm not saying he's better than Zadorov but at 1.35M vs 5M+ he's a better asset than Zadorov.
Yeah like I said, not rooting for signing Zadorov. I’d rather sign Desharnais for the third pair and focus on actually upgrading the top four.

Reactions: Americanadian

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why do they need a LD? They can just run Rielly-McCabe-Benoit as 1-2-3. They also have Webber as 4LD. The Leafs would be much better off spending that 5M on one of the 2nd tier RD (Demelo, Tanev) who can play next to any of those LD and played 20 minutes/game this year.
Zadorov has played a lot on the right side... he's equally adept....

Noting, Zadorov isn't my first choice either, but I think that's who Tre will go after... and that's what he'll cost.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Zadorov has played a lot on the right side... he's equally adept....
Overpaying a bottom pair D to play on their off-side is not a recipe for success.

I'm looking at his most common line mates in VAN right now and it looks like he spent ~60 minutes on his off-side this season in VAN and 735 minutes on the left. In Calgary it looks like he spent all of his minutes on the left side (~325 minutes).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad