GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Montour I could see... Ghost is a downgrade overall though. The challenge of course, is that you'd have to sign these guys, and then offload Rielly post July 1st... which could be tricky. You certainly don't want to trade Mo, and then strike out July 1st....

Roy is a good PK guy, while bringing more physicality, and actually more ES points than Montour this year. He's not your PP answer though.

Montour did miss quite a bit of time at the start of the year due to injury so he likely took a bit to get his game back.

Ghost I would consider a more interesting PP QB, he's actually got a pretty good shot & hasn't been on a good PP/team since basically the Flyers in their prime.

I suspect a Rielly return wouldn't be sexy, maybe like Soucy and/or Garland or to Seattle for something like Bjorkstrand.

Nothing against Roy and also like the idea of adding Skjei but it's a coin toss on the American guys. We might do better with Tanev or DeMelo joining.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I would love this, but I think Ottawa may ask for Robinson as well, and we don't get their 1st.
the best player in the proposal by a HUGE margin is Marner.
Chabot was looking like he would be a stud that instead became an injury prone disappointment, and is a LHD that averages about 60 games a year
Pinto is also meh
the best part of the proposal was the Ottawa 1st rounder.
BUT, from the Leafs POV I'd want more back, or at least exclude our pick

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
How much longer until people here start the annual rationalization of keeping the core together? Amnesia might already be setting in early.
I think the rationlaztion people have to start thinking about is Toronto might not be able to trade any of the core due to sitting on their hands a year to long.

Reactions: ACC1224

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
To Toronto-
Thomas Chabot
Shane Pinto
2024 1st Round Pick

To Ottawa-
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
2024 1st Round Pick
Lol ottowa says not a chance! Ottowa isn't giving up a 2c at least, yop dman and early 1st for marner, lesser dman and late 1st. Lol it would be marner one for one

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I live in Ottawa and prefer it as well. But if I was in my 20s, didn't have kids, and made $11M a year, it'd definitely be Toronto!

The question also isn't Ottawa vs Toronto, but Ottawa vs the rest of the league. Marner has a NMC, and will presumably be very picky about where he goes. Ottawa would need to be on his shortlist for him to waive to go there.
If not Ottawa, how about Montreal? Start with Guhle.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the rationlaztion people have to start thinking about is Toronto might not be able to trade any of the core due to sitting on their hands a year to long.
Nylander should have been moved in the off season while his window was opened, IMO.

Reactions: notdoneyet

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Jaylen Chatfield is getting a lot of love from the Canes camp. UFA RHD as well and there were comments he’s better than Brett Pesce.
He's the sort of player I'm more interested in. Mid-20's players who've been buried down the lineup on deep teams. Kaedan Korczak on Vegas is another, Samuel Bolduc on the Islanders, Spencer Stastney on Nashville. These teams all have a good track record with developing defensemen.

Kole Lind is a group 6 UFA who's produced well at every level but the NHL so far. Maybe there's something there.

Reactions: aingefan

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Jaylen Chatfield is getting a lot of love from the Canes camp. UFA RHD as well and there were comments he’s better than Brett Pesce.

Would certainly be a good depth signing, though he's averaging ~15 minutes a night and I'd be reluctant to assume he could play more for us (ie I don't necessarily buy what Canes fans are saying about Chatfield vs Pesce).

Dermott for example looked fantastic in a bottom pairing role, with many wondering why he didn't get more minutes. But whenever he did, he struggled.

Reactions: jaric1862

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Nylander should have been moved in the off season while his window was opened, IMO.
Respectfully disagree. I think I am happy that decisions weren’t made last year because I think it would have been Nylander who was traded which I think would have been the wrong player.

It needs to be marner and I think its clear today that it will most likely be marner.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Montour did miss quite a bit of time at the start of the year due to injury so he likely took a bit to get his game back.

Ghost I would consider a more interesting PP QB, he's actually got a pretty good shot & hasn't been on a good PP/team since basically the Flyers in their prime.

I suspect a Rielly return wouldn't be sexy, maybe like Soucy and/or Garland or to Seattle for something like Bjorkstrand.

Nothing against Roy and also like the idea of adding Skjei but it's a coin toss on the American guys. We might do better with Tanev or DeMelo joining.

We need more puck moving on the backend, Montour would certainly help with that

Bring back Lyubushkin, get Montour and Roy for the middle pair and use Benoit and McCabe as the best bottom pair in the league

It's definitely an improvement

Then Liljegren for Glass? Or Liljegren plus something nice for Hayton?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Respectfully disagree. I think I am happy that decisions weren’t made last year because I think it would have been Nylander who was traded which I think would have been the wrong player.

It needs to be marner and I think its clear today that it will most likely be marner.
Yes it may be. Hopefully Nylander can start to show up on a more consistent basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: notdoneyet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think he'd be a sneaky good addition. I don't know if he's completely unknown but he'll fly under a lot of radars if he makes it to July 1st.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada

Agreed. And I can’t even imagine what Marner’s contracts demands would be if we didn’t have Nylander.

Nylander got overpaid a too but Marner would absolutely have taken Tre to the cleaners knowing that losing both Nylander and Marner would be a horrible look for him. Getting Nylander signed helps take some leverage away from Marners camp. If Marner walks at the end of the season now for nothing, it will suck but we’d manage.

Reactions: KMNRB

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ideally Toronto would move JT this summer and keep 3 quality players.
That would be great but I really don't see any scenario where that happens.
I understand the disappointment around JT, but at the same time, we want the team to get better. The number of players on the market who could replace him, is relatively small, and dependent on those few players being interested in coming here. Lindholm... sure, but that's if he doesn't extend in Vancouver, and the competition for him will be extreme. Henrique? Wennberg?

The UFA's are pretty slim this year. Next year projects to be better.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I understand the disappointment around JT, but at the same time, we want the team to get better. The number of players on the market who could replace him, is relatively small, and dependent on those few players being interested in coming here. Lindholm... sure, but that's if he doesn't extend in Vancouver, and the competition for him will be extreme. Henrique? Wennberg?

That's a lot of cap though that could be spread around.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It's typically always pretty slim because a lot of free agents will be extended by next off-season.

The crop of UFA defensemen this year though is the best in a very long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad