GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
I think we have a hole in middle-6 C, especially if we move on from Tavares the year after.

I’d be gunning for a package for an NHL ready C and picks/prospects from a team with cap space and a need for immediate talent upgrade.

Players/Teams that come to mind:
Hayton-Utah
Wright-Seattle
McTavish-Anaheim

Kasper-Detroit
Pinto/Norris-Ottawa
Oslund/Savoie-Buffalo

Trade out:
Kampf
Jarnkrok
Timmins
Maybe Liljegren

Use newfound cap space on:

LD
Skjei
Zadorov

RD -
Roy
Tanev
Demelo
Pesce
Montour

Depth;
Edmundson
Bush
Etc.

4th line meat:
Trenin
Greer

1B Goalie:
Stolarz
Brossoit

Roster sketch:

Bertuzzi (4) - Matthews (13.25) - Domi (4)
Knies (0.9) - Hayton (2) - Nylander (11.5)
McMann (1.35) - Tavares (11) - Robertson (1)
Trenin (2) - Holmberg (0.9) - Dewar (1)
Reaves (1.35)
Minten, Cowan, Grebyonkin bubble

Rielly (7.5) - Roy (6)
Skjei (8) - Liljegren (2) (still think Lilly can take the next step esp with a legit partner, otherwise McCabe here)
Benoit (1.35) - McCabe (2)
Edmundson (3)

Woll (0.8)
Stolarz (2)

~1m cap space for one more extra

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's more about his age, he's cost controlled and he does have some upside to keep improving into someone more consistent. He's only 25 years old. I don't disagree that the Leafs may try to change it up and that might mean the end of Liljegren here but his value shouldn't be that low. If there's not enough value on the market, he should 100% be back.

If we're going to be using cap space to improve the backend, potentially a Montour or Roy or even both I don't think you can afford to keep Liljegren around

You can get a functional bottom pair RD for around what Liljegren is making now, before his new pay rise

Money will be tight, that 3RD hole needs to be filled cheap

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He's been solid in the playoffs for the sample size given. The contract he should be able to command probably won't make sense for this team's situation though.
He had 4 points in 7 games playing on the team's top line. We are now considering that to be "solid"?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we're going to be using cap space to improve the backend, potentially a Montour or Roy or even both I don't think you can afford to keep Liljegren around

You can get a functional bottom pair RD for around what Liljegren is making now, before his new pay rise

Money will be tight, that 3RD hole needs to be filled cheap

That's how I see it but I would be very cautious in giving away Liljegren in a time where his development could shoot up pretty fast into an every day mid-pair defenseman. He's shown to be that player at times but injuries and inconsistencies have really forced him down a bit. I remember when Rielly was out he was fantastic. The value needs to be good.

I think you can probably keep him even if you add an expensive defenseman or two through free agency. His extension should hopefully be fairly affordable.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I was thinking picks, to be honest. Maybe something around 26th overall. Cychrun would potentially be available (but i don't know how that value lines up). Not a chance on zub.
To me, each is worth a late first at least, more for Lili.
But I’m not the boss.
If the Leafs are selling these two, they’re selling low - so, good eye.

Reactions: kb

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He had 4 points in 7 games playing on the team's top line. We are now considering that to be "solid"?
I was counting his time with Boston as well (total of 14 PTS. in 14 GP) since I imagine playoff performance was part of the appeal in signing him. For better or worse, Bertuzzi's four points in seven games had him among the team's leaders here.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The Leafs have definitely benefited from Robertson building his profile. It'll be curious how they'll approach him given there will be a new coach. I'd imagine Lily has a target on his back from Tre, getting the Sanding return would be best case scenario.

Without getting ahead of ourselves, it'll be curious how many longer term deals Tre locks in this summer given that I'd imagine the Leafs will be keeping a close eye on what McDavid opts to do by the summer of '26
I’m personally most curious to see if he tries to lock up any of the 25 UFA/rfa class early. Knies, Pontus, Woll and McCabe.
Probably McCabe, with bridges for the others.

Reactions: Menzinger

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
We should probably start looking at the Blues if Berube is coming in. This could be the impetus for Treliving to swing a Parayko trade. Perron is a UFA who could play a middle 6 role (he was not good this year despite 47 points). Maybe a reunion with Acciari as 4C (was also bad this year).

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I was counting his time with Boston as well (total of 14 PTS. in 14 GP) since I imagine playoff performance was part of the appeal in signing him. For better or worse, Bertuzzi's four points in seven games had him among the team's leaders here.
Those points in Boston were mostly power play points. In any event, I just don't see a fit given the salary he will want and the changes that need to be made to this team. His "snot" was irrelevant to the outcome.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We should probably start looking at the Blues if Berube is coming in. This could be the impetus for Treliving to swing a Parayko trade. Perron is a UFA who could play a middle 6 role (he was not good this year despite 47 points). Maybe a reunion with Acciari as 4C (was also bad this year).

Did Dakota Joshua play with the Blues when Berube coached?

Reactions: aingefan

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yes - averaged 8:38 TOI/GP in 42 games under Berube. Based on those ice time numbers I'm not sure if Berube liked him.

Yep it could go either way.
Maybe he liked playing for Berube, seeing he was the first NHL coach that gave him a shot or maybe the opposite and didn't like playing for him for whatever reason (limited role etc).

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Those points in Boston were mostly power play points. In any event, I just don't see a fit given the salary he will want and the changes that need to be made to this team. His "snot" was irrelevant to the outcome.
Our team was very much done in by a lack of production (in part from having a poor PP). We agree on there not being much a fit for him on this team moving forward.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Yep it could go either way.
Maybe he liked playing for Berube, seeing he was the first NHL coach that gave him a shot or maybe the opposite and didn't like playing for him for whatever reason (limited role etc).
Looking through his game logs from his last season in STL (21-22) he didn't appear to be a regular. Berube started the playoff playing Nathan Walker over him, then put him in for 1 game, then went 11/7 for the rest of the playoffs that year (7 games with 11/7, 5 games with 12/6).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He had a career season in terms of goal scoring a few years ago and has never come close to matching. God bless his advanced stats, but the reality is that he scored 20 goals on the second highest scoring team in the league and has a penchant for taking lazy, undisciplined penalties, including in the playoffs. That would be all well and good if he was being paid like a third liner, but if he wants $5 or $6 million on term, he can go find it somewhere else.

This. If he is paid as a 20/45 guy. Sure. Keep him. Problem is they will want 30/60 money and he’s not that

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This. If he is paid as a 20/45 guy. Sure. Keep him. Problem is they will want 30/60 money and he’s not that
Yeah, it's just a dollars issue. He is a fine player at a reasonable salary and short term. But $5 or $6 million on a 4 or 5 year deal? No thanks.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's how I see it but I would be very cautious in giving away Liljegren in a time where his development could shoot up pretty fast into an every day mid-pair defenseman. He's shown to be that player at times but injuries and inconsistencies have really forced him down a bit. I remember when Rielly was out he was fantastic. The value needs to be good.

I think you can probably keep him even if you add an expensive defenseman or two through free agency. His extension should hopefully be fairly affordable.

He's making 1.4M now so I think his next deal would be good value if he's in your top 4 but probably a little rich if he's on your bottom pair

I think we need to make a call on what we think he is and what he tops out as, then pay him accordingly but if he won't play ball you trade him for another player in his position like Fabbro or Broberg or somebody in his situation but a different position like Glass

That's if somebody won't give you a first or couple of seconds for him

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Sens fan. Wondering if theres any situation where leafs would trade us both robertson and lilly as a package and what kind of return that would take coming back?
They are both pending RFAs (I believe) wait and see if they are qualified.

Reactions: dumbdick

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

1- for short period even depht player are able to look great...Dermott had been great a couple of time when Muzzin get hurt by the past by exemple.

Liljegren will be at his 4th season as NHL player and i still don't know what he can really bring to a contender... At 5v5 he's not good enought against to play in a top 4, defensively hes below average. Offensively he having a lot tool and skill but unable to use it because of a low hockey IQ. So not enought strong defensively and physically to be good on PK, doesn't bring enough offensively to be a pp weapon...

2- For me if leafs had one 25 Y/O dman who had his development broke by injuries and could step up, it's not Liljegren but Connor Timmins. Maybe in a 3r pair with a defrnsive minded d like Benoit could give him enough freedom to bring his offensive game for toronto?

Just imagine if it was liljegren leafs would had traded for absolutly nothing and timmins leafs drafted in 1st round. I'm pretty sure liljegren will be out of line up for big majority of leafs fan and asking to give a higher opportunity to Timmins.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Because every line he was on was probably one of our better puck possession lines and after he started getting comfortable on the team and his bad luck ran out he started to score consistently. Him and Domi led the team in playoff scoring too and his slow start probably makes it so his cap hit isn't higher than what he's getting now.

Some guys just make their linemates better. M

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yes - averaged 8:38 TOI/GP in 42 games under Berube. Based on those ice time numbers I'm not sure if Berube liked him.
We can't judge Joshua before this season. This is a breakout year for him.

He was getting bounced around everywhere. Im sure Berube would love this current Joshua on his team

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
We can't judge Joshua before this season. This is a breakout year for him.

He was getting bounced around everywhere. Im sure Berube would love this current Joshua on his team
I’m not judging him - I’m just trying to illustrate that they have history together and it might not be positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad