GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I dunno man. The powerplay looks like a wagon every regular season but then come playoff time it goes down the shitter. Maybe it’s just a symptom of the top guys turning into pumpkins every postseason so the powerplay, of which they’re integral parts of, suffers as well.

Either way I don’t know what else can be done besides a big change in terms of personnel or tactics on the PP. It’s frustrating watching them fail to capitalize to an absurd degree every postseason and it’s the same 5 guys out on the ice.
Yep, same story for 8 seasons with two coaches against 6 different teams. We need a PPQB with a point shot.

Regular season. 24.1% PP, 80.3% PK.
Playoffs. 16.9% PP, 74.3% PK.

Reactions: 613Leafer

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I appreciate what you are saying, but we are likely moving on from a forward or two here, plus a new PP coach. To me, special teams and their results are greatly dependent on coaching. I just don’t see Mo as the problem on it.

Who are we going to get, to make the situation better?

It’s fine to be angry and point fingers, but who are we getting, and what is the cost to improve our situation?
I agree that Mo isn't an issue in isolation- he's mobile, can distribute and get the odd puck to the net. I think the playoff PP problems are
-a break in that by design brought our slowest 1st step PP forward to a stop and allowed the opposition to funnel the puck to him while stationary 1 step from a double team
-a PP that inevitably features BOTH Rielly and Marner in high positions, once playoff sacrifice clogs the middle I wonder if having 2 non-shot threats on the outside is too much.

The way we use the drop pass is just mind boggling.

The drop pass entry can be extremely effective if
- the initial carrier is attacking with speed, is a player that has the ability to carry the puck in, has the option to carry it in if given opportunity
-the drop recipient is attacking with speed, against a PK that has been pushed back and is now stationary from having to honour the threat of the initial carrier

Slowly dropping it back every single damn time and then slowly trying to pick through, failing, and dumping off to a stationary guy on the wall is just .... ugh.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Tkachuk was also one year from UFA looking for a raise, lets just agree to disagree.
Tkachuk was an RFA at the time and had to sign a contract for the following season.

Hubderdeau had the same contract status as Marner. Florida wanted to move off him, like Toronto with Marner. Huberdeau had the top gaudy point totals, like Marner.

I’m not sure why you’re insistent that he’s the Tkachuk in this scenario.

• Wow
Reactions: Folignos Helmet

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
My dream offseason

1) Sign Brett Pesce
2) Sign Chandler Stephenson
3) Sign a decent goalie
-
4) Sign Max Domi
5) Sign Edmundson
-
6) Sign a coach
7) re-sign Liljegren
-
8) I Wouldn't mind moving Kampf or Jarnkrok for some additional cap room.

Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 12.39.28 AM.png

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Yep, same story for 8 seasons with two coaches against 6 different teams. We need a PPQB with a point shot.

Regular season. 24.1% PP, 80.3% PK.
Playoffs. 16.9% PP, 74.3% PK.
Exactly this ...Bouchard is a bad d-man defensively, but he has a bomb and is a PP superstar.
He makes it so that you cannot cheat on McD and Drais the way every team can double team our guys down low, so, when they pass to the point, it cannot be ignored, and that opens up one of the down low trigger men for them.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Would love to somehow acquire either Chabot or Theodore via trade that doesn’t include Marner. It could include pieces from a separate Marner deal though.

Have either Chabot or Theodore on PP 1 and then Rielly on PP2. Would also like to see a more balanced PP unit 1 and 2… Create some internal competition instead of rolling PP1 always out for a minute 30 and giving the second unit 30 seconds if that… Having Matthews, Nylander and Chabot/Theodore carry unit 1 and Rielly and Tavares carry unit 2 would be good.

I keep mentioning Chabot’s name. His value is probably at the lowest it’ll be (mind you the cost still won’t be cheap of course).

Chabot would be awesome - I think he turns into a legit star on a better team. But if Ottawa trades him here it would have to involve Mitch I think, for the trade to work from talent and money standpoint (Chabot makes 8m/year). I don't know if Mitch would agree to sign in Ottawa.

Reactions: SprDaVE

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
How would you propose that this up and coming team that started it’s build in 2014 rebuild and/or improve.

There are only 3 ways:
1. Drafting
2. Trading
3. UFA

What would be your plan after seeing 1 playoff win in 8 years.
can't wait to hear the reply to this post........

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hockey is a business, and we shouldnt get attached to players... the keys here are, is Zadorov better than Benoit, and the answer is Yes, and he can also play the right side. Can we get him for a price we can manage, that is the only question to answer.
Edmonson had a higher cap hit than Zadorov last season, and isnt as good as Zadorov.
Enough is enough with putting LHD on to play RHD.

There is a big difference between “can play” and “can play well”.

If Zadorov is added, it’s because he is better than anyone currently on lhd.

There are enough quality UFA RHD this summer, this is where we need to spend money.

Who cares about last years cap hit, it’s what Zadorov asks now that will determine if he brings intrinsically more value than McCabe and Benoit. Considering that they are both on very team friendly deals and Zadorov is an in demand UFA, I find it unlikely that he’s going to be a better value.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly this ...Bouchard is a bad d-man defensively, but he has a bomb and is a PP superstar.
He makes it so that you cannot cheat on McD and Drais the way every team can double team our guys down low, so, when they pass to the point, it cannot be ignored, and that opens up one of the down low trigger men for them.
Many have said this for years.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Chabot would be awesome - I think he turns into a legit star on a better team. But if Ottawa trades him here it would have to involve Mitch I think, for the trade to work from talent and money standpoint (Chabot makes 8m/year). I don't know if Mitch would agree to sign in Ottawa.
Agreed. Not sure if Marner would agree to waive for Ottawa but if we can move Marner for multiple pieces and than use those pieces along with players we have in our system, we might be able to pull something off for Chabot. Seems like Ottawa is willing to move on from one of Chabot or Chychrun.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I agree that Mo isn't an issue in isolation- he's mobile, can distribute and get the odd puck to the net. I think the playoff PP problems are
-a break in that by design brought our slowest 1st step PP forward to a stop and allowed the opposition to funnel the puck to him while stationary 1 step from a double team
-a PP that inevitably features BOTH Rielly and Marner in high positions, once playoff sacrifice clogs the middle I wonder if having 2 non-shot threats on the outside is too much.

The way we use the drop pass is just mind boggling.

The drop pass entry can be extremely effective if
- the initial carrier is attacking with speed, is a player that has the ability to carry the puck in, has the option to carry it in if given opportunity
-the drop recipient is attacking with speed, against a PK that has been pushed back and is now stationary from having to honour the threat of the initial carrier

Slowly dropping it back every single damn time and then slowly trying to pick through, failing, and dumping off to a stationary guy on the wall is just .... ugh.

All of this caters to Marner as the QB, he doesn’t have the speed or strength to enter the zone otherwise and it would for some reason be sacrilege to let Matthews and Nylander handle that consistently.

Reactions: 4thline

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If you hate Tavares decline in play, you'll hate Stamkos even more. Plus minus isn't the best stat, but in this case it's telling... -21 in the regular season, -5 in the playoffs. PP merchant, who is now poor 5v5. Would he sign the Spezza deal? Probably not, but that's about where I go at best.

Reactions: Jmo89

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you hate Tavares decline in play, you'll hate Stamkos even more. Plus minus isn't the best stat, but in this case it's telling... -21 in the regular season, -5 in the playoffs. PP merchant, who is now poor 5v5. Would he sign the Spezza deal? Probably not, but that's about where I go at best.
He'd help the PP no doubt but he'd have to be cheap as you say.

Reactions: supermann_98

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Enough is enough with putting LHD on to play RHD.

There is a big difference between “can play” and “can play well”.

If Zadorov is added, it’s because he is better than anyone currently on lhd.

There are enough quality UFA RHD this summer, this is where we need to spend money.

Who cares about last years cap hit, it’s what Zadorov asks now that will determine if he brings intrinsically more value than McCabe and Benoit. Considering that they are both on very team friendly deals and Zadorov is an in demand UFA, I find it unlikely that he’s going to be a better value.
out of all those RHD none bring what Zadorov brings which is Size and Toughness (and potentially a desire to play for Toronto based on his tweet last season).
I'd trade high on Benoit and replace him with Zadorov, depending on what Zadorov wants $$ wise or keep him as a #7.

we may be able to afford Pesce OR Tanev but not likely both. we may be able to also add one of Roy or Walker or Carrier.
Ideally we also add Chatfield, and move Lili before we destroy his career.

there are a bunch of good D available, but we dont have the $$ else #1 on my list would be Skjei and I'd play him ahead of Rielly, or ask Rielly to waive to get another one of the above.

I want a huge turnover on defense, as this is an off season you can completely redesign the defense for nothing more than $$

this just shows how useless these stats are.
Bertuzzi was actually really bad and was a detriment on the ice, regardless of these useless 'stats'.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
There isn’t a precedent for a team eating salary as a 3rd party for 1 season. I’ve been proposing the same thing but I think a team would want more than a 3rd or 4th. They could sell the retention a lot for that at the deadline.
Ok. Why not set president. For once. They are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Set f***ing president. For once.

Have the Leafs also throw a pick or sweetener. If it means that we can drastically change the culture, gain draft capital and cap space so you aren't handcuffed and doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Go for it.

Something big HAS TO HAPPEN.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ok. Why not set president. For once. They are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Set f***ing president. For once.

Have the Leafs also throw a pick or sweetener. If it means that we can drastically change the culture, gain draft capital and cap space so you aren't handcuffed and doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Go for it.

Something big HAS TO HAPPEN.
They already have a President, he's set. --> President & Alternate Governor | Brendan Shanahan

Reactions: Americanadian

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
They have a bad track record of setting precedents. They set the precedent for dumping one year of a player for a 1st (Marleau) and they set the precedent for overpaying RFA’s on <8 years term.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Tkachuk was an RFA at the time and had to sign a contract for the following season.

Hubderdeau had the same contract status as Marner. Florida wanted to move off him, like Toronto with Marner. Huberdeau had the top gaudy point totals, like Marner.

I’m not sure why you’re insistent that he’s the Tkachuk in this scenario.

He similar in age to Tkachuk. He has similar overall impacts to Tkachuk, especially during the regular season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My dream offseason

1) Sign Brett Pesce
2) Sign Chandler Stephenson
3) Sign a decent goalie
-
4) Sign Max Domi
5) Sign Edmundson
-
6) Sign a coach
7) re-sign Liljegren
-
8) I Wouldn't mind moving Kampf or Jarnkrok for some additional cap room.

View attachment 870616

Very underwhelming if the only real quality addition on defense is Brett Pesce. And I expect Stolarz to get double that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad