GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'm not a Montour fan, he is another Tyson Barrie only he would cost more money. The D I am interested in are Pesce, Zadorov and Tanev. The Leafs need more mobility and puck moving on defense too, but that will have to come through trade or the draft.
on the right side, all these should be considered, and I'd also pass on Montour and his one exceptional offensive season.

Roy ...and if you want a puck movers, Walker, Carrier
Chatfiled would be a very smart pickup (if cheap)

Skjei is the best d-man potentially available this UFA season, though a lefty.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He's right handed so that is a start. Can't say I've watched him much in Chicago.
lots of money, lots of term, I'm looking for younger D men who are more cost effective and have room to develop ala Benoit. I'm fine with working class heroes without the downside of the old UFA's that we keep signing.......

Reactions: Zero1 and ToneDog

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Morgan Rielly and Brandon Montour are not both playing 23 minutes in Toronto...

Morgan Rielly is an elite puck moving defenceman and well below average defensive defenceman. He is also a much better player than Brandon Montour, and that should scare you.
Please don't say Rielly is an elite puck moving defenseman. He's nowhere near elite. There's a reason why he led our team in icings because the second the guy feels any pressure, he just shoots it down the ice. It's not hard to rack up points on this team when you're getting top pp minutes, plus getting all offensive zone starts. Very rarely do you actually see Rielly create any offense which is sad considering he's a great skater. But just passing the puck up the Matthews, Nylander and Marner and allow them to create and score, doesn't make you elite.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
if we fill all spots via UFA i'd be looking at
Rielly - Roy/Pesce/Tanev
McCabe - Walker
Zadorov - Chatfiled
Benoit - Lili

thats signing 4 which is unreasonable

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I don't get the Montour hate on here at all. I agree with people that there is a risk of the contract being too high. However, that is the case with every potential contract. Obviously if the contract is ridiculous then you don't sign it.

However, Montour fits exactly what we need, and he is a FA. RHD, plays a ton of minutes and moves the puck very well. We all watched this team in the postseason. Our defence did well defensively, I will grant them that, but what they did not do is generate any offence whatsoever. I think that this has bene an underrated part of our struggles to score in the playoffs.

If you all watched Vegas win the cup last year, I think a lot of people only noticed that their D are big. They are big, but they also move the puck extremely well leading to clean breakouts, odd man rushes, and they also have the ability to jump into the rush and be a threat to score.

Montour is exactly what he need in my eyes. Of course the contract needs to make sense, but so does any contract.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If we are targetting a D-man for marner deal

Then a three way prob makes sense

Get theodore + Roy/Hill/Karlsson from Vegad

Give Seattle Marner who want a 1RW

Give Vegas picks/prospects from Seattle (Seattle 1s+ Picks)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't get the Montour hate on here at all. I agree with people that there is a risk of the contract being too high. However, that is the case with every potential contract. Obviously if the contract is ridiculous then you don't sign it.

However, Montour fits exactly what we need, and he is a FA. RHD, plays a ton of minutes and moves the puck very well. We all watched this team in the postseason. Our defence did well defensively, I will grant them that, but what they did not do is generate any offence whatsoever. I think that this has bene an underrated part of our struggles to score in the playoffs.

If you all watched Vegas win the cup last year, I think a lot of people only noticed that their D are big. They are big, but they also move the puck extremely well leading to clean breakouts, odd man rushes, and they also have the ability to jump into the rush and be a threat to score.

Montour is exactly what he need in my eyes. Of course the contract needs to make sense, but so does any contract.

Yea, I think people are overlooking how bad our blueline has been at moving the puck.

Historically, it's been too physically weak for the playoffs, not good at protecting the front of the net, not intimidating, not good in the corners, etc. That was addressed quite well with McCabe, Benoit, Lybushkin, and Edmundson, but other than McCabe, those other three guys treat the puck like a grenade.

We need a mix of these things, and can ideally find some guys that do both, or pairings that can do both.

Last edited:
Reactions: HomelessPepper

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Cant think of any top defenseman being available right now that would warrant Marner.

I agree with others here that Marner should be traded for the best package and then target some of the top D-man available in Free Agency
Think Jones (massive risk, Treliving would be putting his future on the line betting on him)
Dobson (NYI desperately need scoring, Old man Lou knows marner well.)
Werenski (personally think he should be the target)
Parakyo (iffy on getting him)
Dunn (would be a quailty get)

Any other teams that are in the market for a Marner don't have a real quailty d-man for us. (can't see any contenders trading for him and extending them).

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Think Jones (massive risk, Treliving would be putting his future on the line betting on him)

Any other teams that are in the market for a Marner don't have a real quailty d-man for us. (can't see any contenders trading for him and extending them).
I honestly don’t think the Islanders move Dobson for Marner, even if it were a 1 for 1 deal. Would absolutely love to pull the trigger on that though. We would probably need at take on one of their bad contracts and attach a solid young player with Marner.

Wishful thinking but:

To Toronto: Noah Dobson + Jean-Gabriel Pageau
To Islanders: Mitch Marner + Timothy Liljegren

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't get the feeling Jones is the right D man for this team..........
Unless it’s Makar, I don’t want to move his 11 million and fill it right back up again with another huge salary like that. I’d rather guys like Crouse + prospects from an Utah. A Keller salary at 7 million is good too. Flexibility.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unless it’s Makar, I don’t want to move his 11 million and fill it right back up again with another huge salary like that. I’d rather guys like Crouse + prospects from an Utah. A Keller salary at 7 million is good too. Flexibility.
Agreed…….

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Woll ($766,667)
Tavares (11m) - (full salary)
2024 1st
B Prospect (Niemela, Villeneuve, etc)

for

Juuse Saros (5m) - (signed to a longer term deal)

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Montour is fine when you’re paying him 3.5 to be a PP1 second pair defenseman like Florida is. Paying him twice that long-term in his 30’s is a disaster waiting to happen. Over-paying for our division rivals players isn’t catching up, it’s falling behind. Bill Zito will just identify the next Montour, like he did in the first place and like he’s done with Forsling, Bennett, Verhaeghe etc.

We don’t need Montour at 7+, we need the next Montour at 3.5.

Reactions: Scion

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
if we fill all spots via UFA i'd be looking at
Rielly - Roy/Pesce/Tanev
McCabe - Walker
Zadorov - Chatfiled
Benoit - Lili

thats signing 4 which is unreasonable
Two of these guys would be great if somehow doable. No to Z. He will want solid top 4 money and the results may be inconsistent.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I don't think Marner waives for any of those teams, except maybe Seattle. I assume he'll want to go to a good team that's either in a no-tax state or an interesting city for a young millionaire.

Chicago - if they were competitive then maybe. But they're YEARS away and it's not a no-tax state.

NYI - I think he'd probably waive for NYR, but NYI? It's never been considered a big UFA destination, and they missed the playoffs this year.

Columbus - almost always sucks, currently sucks, and isn't a city that attracts players.

St. Louis - in a rebuild, and I don't think Missouri is as attractive as say California, Nashville, etc.

Seattle - maybe? No-tax state, nice city on the coast, and only real negative is they missed the playoffs this year.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
honesty I wonder if
we try for Barrie as a cheap pp2

Rielly
mccabe
Benoit. Barrie.

He got along well with Matty. Could try to get him cheap. Like 1.5 until topi is ready.
Then could go for defensive d like

Pesce. Roy. Demelo. Tanev. Etc. I don’t think Z is a puck mover really? Just a big shot ?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
honesty I wonder if

Rielly
mccabe
Benoit. Barrie.

He got along well with Matty. Could try to get him cheap. Like 1.5 until topi is ready.

Pesce. Roy. Demelo. Tanev. Etc. I don’t think Z is a puck mover really? Just a big shot ?
1715634202615.jpeg

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
honesty I wonder if

Rielly
mccabe
Benoit. Barrie.

I doubt that Barrie's offensive output is going to be enough at this point to balance out the shortcomings on defence. Been there, done that and I'd rather we move on.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
honesty I wonder if

Rielly
mccabe
Benoit. Barrie.

Maybe as a PP coach but not as an actual player.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad