GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think we try to get a 2 c prospect. (Wright/mctavish)

Owen power for extended Marner maybe? I don’t see them doing it though.
I don’t see Marner waiving to go to Buffalo let alone extending long term.

I can't recall a goalie pulling a player of Marner's caliber.

The additions they could realistically make to Saros wouldn't be enough to convince me that it's a good trade.

Other teams could offer more.
That’s a good point, especially considering it was considered a “down” year for Saros.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

I agree. It was just options. It is close to home. But I think it’s unlikely. Plus they have a million wing prospects.

I would say.
If D is the key.
Then I would add Dobson and Jiricek to the the list.
Not sure who else

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I can't recall a goalie pulling a player of Marner's caliber.

The additions they could realistically make to Saros wouldn't be enough to convince me that it's a good trade.

Other teams could offer more.

Saros has played the 2nd most games since 2019-2020 with a similar SV% and GAA as both Hellebuyck (#1 games played) and Vasilevsky (#3) -- all within .03 SV% and .10 GAA of each other. Saros is #1 if you look from 2021-2022 to now. He's a work horse and hasn't exactly played behind a great Nashville team all those years.

I think you're under selling Saros' quality as a goaltender quite a bit. He didn't just fluke one great year. But generally speaking, goaltenders are not as highly sought after because the good ones don't usually get traded and many believe goaltenders are fairly volatile to invest in.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Saros has played the 2nd most games since 2019-2020 with a similar SV% and GAA as both Hellebuyck (#1 games played) and Vasilevsky (#3) -- all within .03 SV% and .10 GAA of each other. Saros is #1 if you look from 2021-2022 to now. He's a work horse and hasn't exactly played behind a great Nashville team all those years.

I think you're under selling Saros' quality as a goaltender quite a bit. He didn't just fluke one great year. But generally speaking, goaltenders are not as highly sought after because the good ones don't usually get traded and many believe goaltenders are fairly volatile to invest in.

He's elite, like top 6-7 right? I don't think he should be able to fetch a player of Marner's caliber without some significant pluses.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I haven't been following Jones closely. My first question is have we seen the version of Nashville Jones on Chicago at all?

Taking on Jones is a favor to Chicago and should be treated as such.

Isn't Chicago picking 2nd overall this year? I'd take Jones plus that pick for Mitch lol.
Jones logged 25:29 min per game (4th most in NHL) for an absolutely awful Chicago team. Chicago had nobody to pair with him until Vlasic was moved up and even Vlasic is not that special. Play Morgan Riley in the spot Jones is in and you would probably change your view of him as well. Jones has his some flaws but he is 6 foot 4, 215ish, as well as a 4 time all-star, and can be a #1 D logging 25 min+ a game.

Not sure where the #2 overall pick would fit in on the deal.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's elite, like top 6-7 right? I don't think he should be able to fetch a player of Marner's caliber without some significant pluses.

I don't know about significant pluses, but I would think there would be other assets being exchanged and whatever. But I think Saros has pretty high value and he's in a similar situation as Marner -- UFA in a year.

We'd be trading Marner at his lowest value -- we're not exactly in a great position. So if you want him traded, this is the kind of deal that will pop up. I'd much rather keep him and hope they figure it out.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

That’s a good point, especially considering it was considered a “down” year for Saros.
Buffalo depends on if he wants to stay close to really close to Toronto. And see the Bills.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Carolina to me is the team that makes the most sense for marner. They were super close to getting Elias Petterson and was gonna give him a massive contract to go along with it

They'll be all over Marner too if thats the case

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know about significant pluses, but I would think there would be other assets being exchanged and whatever. But I think Saros has pretty high value and he's in a similar situation as Marner -- UFA in a year.

We'd be trading Marner at his lowest value -- we're not exactly in a great position. So if you want him traded, this is the kind of deal that will pop up. I'd much rather keep him and hope they figure it out.

I think the best way to go about this is finding a spot Marner would want to extend...it's how you'll get full pop for value, similar to the Tkachuk scenario.

Marner is just 1 of 3 I would like to move on from and for us to sit here in September and say the team is different, 2/3 of Marner, Rielly or JT gotta be gone because otherwise you're down a core guy + new coach...not a crazy shake up

RE: @OVO16 above, Carolina would have some pieces I would be interested in.

Necas, 2nd 2025, Nikishkin and rights to Skjei (if they don't extend) for Marner + Holmberg and/or Liljegren

Marner needing to be willing to extend but that's a hard one since he's pulling 10.9M now and they won't want to eclipse too much over what Aho pulls.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think the best way to go about this is finding a spot Marner would want to extend...it's how you'll get full pop for value, similar to the Tkachuk scenario.

Marner is just 1 of 3 I would like to move on from and for us to sit here in September and say the team is different, 2/3 of Marner, Rielly or JT gotta be gone because otherwise you're down a core guy + new coach...not a crazy shake up

RE: @OVO16 above, Carolina would have some pieces I would be interested in.

Necas, 2nd 2025, Nikishkin and rights to Skjei (if they don't extend) for Marner + Holmberg and/or Liljegren

Marner needing to be willing to extend but that's a hard one since he's pulling 10.9M now and they won't want to eclipse too much over what Aho pulls.

It's likely he'll get a lot more serious offers in a months time and maybe we can re-assess. At this time, Saros has popped up in the rumour mill unlike all these wild trade blockbusters. We have a need for a goaltender and there's a good opportunity to grab one of the best and really bolster that depth.

Carolina typically is always interested in adding a great player and making aggressive moves so I'm sure they will likely be in the mix. I don't know if that proposal makes any sense for them, especially not re-signing Skjei when their defense needs him more than ever, but there's probably something that can make sense. You can probably expect salary to go the Leafs way as well.

Leafs trading Holmberg just as he's turning into a pretty solid player would be peak Leafs.

Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's likely he'll get a lot more serious offers in a months time and maybe we can re-assess. At this time, Saros has popped up in the rumour mill unlike all these wild trade blockbusters. We have a need for a goaltender and there's a good opportunity to grab one of the best.

Carolina typically is always interested in adding a great player and making aggressive moves so I'm sure they will likely be in the mix. I don't know if that proposal makes any sense for them, especially not re-signing Skjei when their defense needs him more than ever, but there's probably something that can make sense.

Leafs trading Holmberg just as he's turning into a pretty solid player would be peak Leafs.

Necas wanted to play centre and never really got to in Carolina...I guess Rod and him butted heads on that. He was apparently apart of the offer for Pettersson.

Carolina still has Slavin and Orlov at LD so Skjei's departure shouldn't be a massive disruption.

I have a feeling Nikishin would be the biggest hold up in a deal but he or a guy like Korczak from Vegas would be the pieces I would need to see coming back.

I think Treliving is up for a deal of this magnitude, hopefully another 1 with a second core player follows.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Do you really think Marner will sign in Nashville better yet waive his NMC to help us get Saros.
A team like Nashvile is exactly where I think Marner would be willing to waive his NMC and sign. Competitive team, lowkey team, not in Canada anymore.

Goalies are fairly easy to get and are way too inconsistent, I wouldn't be happy if we are trading a 100point winger for anything but a d-man.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm coming around on Jones but I don't think it needs to be part of a Marner deal.

Something like:

To TOR: Jones, VAN 25 1st (+2M)
To CHI: Garland, Liljegren (-4.55M)
To VAN: Rielly (+2.55M)

Or

To TOR: Theodore, Roy, Jones (+6.8M)
To VGK: Marner (50% retained) (-2.75M)
To CHI: 50% of Marner's salary, Liljegren (-4.05M)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Carolina to me is the team that makes the most sense for marner. They were super close to getting Elias Petterson and was gonna give him a massive contract to go along with it

They'll be all over Marner too if thats the case
They just got guentzel.
That would take them out lf the running I think

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
If you can make a Marner trade result in $4M in cap along with Brady and Bertuzzi coming off of the books, is $14M enough to land both Montour and Pesce?

Rielly Pesce
McCabe Montour
Benoit Liljegren/Niemala

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Friedman made it sound like (on his latest pod after the 30min mark) that they were likely going to aim for the best available defensive talent in a deal (not a goalie or star forward replacement). Obviously that depends on which team he's willing to move to.
That should be the plan. It’s easier to find wingers through UFA than solid D.

Reactions: Burnie97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad