GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Do you think he would waive for a bottom 5 club though? I can't see it, unless Anaheim is much more of a destination than I understand it to be. Some places have cachet because of where they are like LA, NY, and to some Nashville. Maybe Fla if they find out they aren't retaining Reinhart. His list is going to be pretty short.

Anaheim may get better quickly, as they have quite a few good young guys - MacTavish, Gauthier, Carlson, LaCombe, Zellweger.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If he wants to take a hometown discount, then maybe.

But at his age, any kind of multi-year moderately priced contract is risky, especially with his injury history.

Unfortunately, Treliving has a bit of a history of questionable UFA signings (granted it's harder to attract players to Calgary).

I think Treliving has shown he doesn't really care about age and multi year deals as you said, case in point Ryan Reaves. He wants his guy and he gets him, more or less. Tanev has been fairly durable in recent years but with our luck/curse, he'll be on LTIR within a few games.

You're not going to get a star 25 year old in free agency. So you have to take a risk and target players that can fix some issues and also elevate the quality around your core and the overall team. There are a bunch of very good targets heading to free agency right now (that can change) so I'd like Treliving to be aggressive. Obviously you need to be smart and show restraint, so it's not an easy thing to naviguate.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
1000002891.jpg

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I get the PLD hesitation but also remember him owning the leafs in a playoff series and being exactly the type of forward they need. Would depend on the plus for sure.
I remember Jason Blake owning the Leafs as a Islander, but once here he was useless except for skating fast laps around like NASCAR on ice…….

I get the PLD hesitation but also remember him owning the leafs in a playoff series and being exactly the type of forward they need. Would depend on the plus for sure.
Rob Blake is nuts if he doesn’t buy PLD out while he can at a reasonable price, that guy’s a cancer………

Rob Blake is nuts if he doesn’t buy PLD out while he can at a reasonable price, that guy’s a cancer………

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Trying to be realistic with a Marner trade and shooting low

Philadelphia receives: Marner
Toronto receives: Frost, Cates, 12th overall, 2025 Colorado 1st round pick

Trade Liljegren, Robertson, Jarnkrok for mid round picks

UFA signings: Matt Duchene($5M), Anthony Mantha($2.5M), JVR($1M), Montour($7M), Tanev($4.5M), Kylington($1.5M) strong backup goalie($3M)

Knies - Matthews - Duchene
Holmberg - Tavares - McMann
Mantha - Frost - Nylander
Cates - Kampf - JVR

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Montour
Benoit - Kylington
Timmins

Woll
Backup

My main idea here is to create 2 2nd lines and round out a reliable top 4 defence with guys who are actually top 4 defencemen. This team would also have about $5M left over so room to make a big move in season or you could pursue Pesce over Tanev.

Reactions: torontoblood

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I guess it's time to start fresh for all the crazy madness people wanna throw out there. Let's start with:

Piss off Pierre……..

We don't need full value for Marner, we just need him the f*** outta here.
Exactly…….

Shanny, Keefe, Marner, Sammy, and JT (if you can) need to go. If you have to suffer with JT for next year, do not resign him. We need to change the culture of the team too.

I don't mind what Tre has done this year. But seeing what he did in Calgary kind of makes me worry. Don't know of the alternatives that exist at the moment.
Don’t forget about Rielly, he needs to go also……….

Our "terrible players" were our best players in the playoffs

Domi, Bert, Edmunsom, Benoit, Lub, were playing great hockey

Tavares, Marner were unplayable

Matthews and nylander and rielly poor

This core sucks individually and collectively
Agreed…….

Depends. If Shanny was rumoured to approve trades and such, or fired Dubas when he hinted at trading a core 4 (among other things), then I'd say he has to go. Will never know that for sure.

I kind of hope Tre pulls a Burke in what Burke did to Kaberle - "Give me a list of teams, or I am sitting you. I wasn't the one who gave you the NMC". I think there needs to be a culture shift, and that starts at the top.
This is what has to happen…….

Reactions: Brobust

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Piss off Pierre……..

Exactly…….

Don’t forget about Rielly, he needs to go also……….

Agreed…….

This is what has to happen…….

That Pierre LeBrun tweet is such bullshit. He wouldn't tweet that about any other team potentially trading a star player.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Trying to be realistic with a Marner trade and shooting low

Philadelphia receives: Marner
Toronto receives: Frost, Cates, 12th overall, 2025 Colorado 1st round pick

Trade Liljegren, Robertson, Jarnkrok for mid round picks

UFA signings: Matt Duchene($5M), Anthony Mantha($2.5M), JVR($1M), Montour($7M), Tanev($4.5M), Kylington($1.5M) strong backup goalie($3M)

Knies - Matthews - Duchene
Holmberg - Tavares - McMann
Mantha - Frost - Nylander
Cates - Kampf - JVR

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Montour
Benoit - Kylington
Timmins

Woll
Backup

My main idea here is to create 2 2nd lines and round out a reliable top 4 defence with guys who are actually top 4 defencemen. This team would also have about $5M left over so room to make a big move in season or you could pursue Pesce over Tanev.
Not realistic at all. Philly says no! Marner isn’t worth four 1st lol

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Not realistic at all. Philly says no! Marner isn’t worth four 1st lol

If a trade for a 24 year old 40 point player, a 25 year old 4th liner, a pick in the teens and a late 1st is too much for Marner, then they might as well pack up and give him away for free.

Reactions: WillNy29

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
If a trade for a 24 year old 40 point player, a 25 year old 4th liner, a pick in the teens and a late 1st is too much for Marner, then they might as well pack up and give him away for free.
Marner is 1 year from free agency. Lowers his value along with nmc. Cates is philly’s captain and worth a 1st. Then you have them giving up two additional 1st round picks, and frost who will easily get 2nd round pick. Philly also wouldn’t be interested, they are rebuilding

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Marner is 1 year from free agency. Lowers his value along with nmc. Cates is philly’s captain and worth a 1st. Then you have them giving up two additional 1st round picks, and frost who will easily get 2nd round pick. Philly also wouldn’t be interested, they are rebuilding
And all there players are trash so who gives a f***.

Also Marner would likely waive NMC knowing he re signs there. But even if he didn't that's still a godawful package.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Carolina might get swept in r2

Wonder if they go after Marner. Sign and trade and add an offensive star winger to their core?

They have a lot of good prospects + Necas &/or Drury who are nice assets

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I wouldn’t be against it, I think I’d need a mid round pick coming back as well.
I mean, there could be some other bits, but if they get KK going, it would help at C quite a bit.

If they could get a 3rd '25 as well, then great considering they don't have a pick until the 5th round next year.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If you could get a motivated PLD you'd have a great player for your middle 6
When he's on he's one hell of a player

It's motivating the ****** that's the problem
I agree with the player; he was very good in the play-in series.

But his fluctuating play may not be best for this group. $8.5m is a big number as well.

Reactions: Kiwi

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

I think you are mistaking Sean couturier and Noah Cates

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad