GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Reading various threads on here... there's gunna be a lot of disappointment if the reality of a Marner trade hits.

Soft wingers with a full NTC who disappear in the playoffs and only have 1 year left don't get the kind of returns a lot of people are expecting here. These valuations look to be about 5 years too late
Who cares, it’s addition by subtraction, I think a unextended Marner’s value is limited, but would still bring back something of value……..

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Reading various threads on here... there's gunna be a lot of disappointment if the reality of a Marner trade hits.

Soft wingers with a full NTC who disappear in the playoffs and only have 1 year left don't get the kind of returns a lot of people are expecting here. These valuations look to be about 5 years too late
50 points in 57 games is not quite the disappearing act you think it is. You just have greater expectations because he 'should' be doing better, but, I blame deployment and strategy more than the player.
He made some great passes to Bert that were completely flubbed, and then made some bad ones because there was never anyone getting open for him to pass to.

reminder, he is a pass first player, not a shooter.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
50 points in 57 games is not quite the disappearing act you think it is. You just have greater expectations because he 'should' be doing better, but, I blame deployment and strategy more than the player.
He made some great passes to Bert that were completely flubbed, and then made some bad ones because there was never anyone getting open for him to pass to.

reminder, he is a pass first player, not a shooter.
For a guy making 8 figures and wanting more on his next contract it sure as shit is. The only comparables in his salary range that have as big a drop-off in the playoffs are his loser teammates.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Chatfield would be an underrated pick up, especially if the Leafs move on from Liljegren.
He could, but it's not as certain where he'll fit, and if he's a top 4 Dman

The deal Pesce could get, though, is likely to be steep. But he's a good player, just not for 7 years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The deal Pesce could get, though, is likely to be steep. But he's a good player, just not for 7 years.

More so to pair with Benoit in a 5-6 role and for depth. He's a good skater and a late bloomer. And I agree about Pesce.

This off-season has a lot of good to solid defenseman, especially RHDs. Leafs need to get it right. They can't have another clusterfudge like Klingberg.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

I'd be wary of Chatfield. He's currently surrounded by a fantastic group of 5 other d-men who could all be top 3 on most teams

Reactions: uncleben

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'd be wary of Chatfield. He's currently surrounded by a fantastic group of 5 other d-men who could all be top 3 on most teams
he's also putting up points playing 15 mins a night ...a bigger role and he can be a breakout player too.
Montour's career high was 37 points before last seasons breakout.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
he's also putting up points playing 15 mins a night ...a bigger role and he can be a breakout player too.
Maybe, but he was also pretty irrelevant on the Canucks where he wasn't surrounded by talent. And the Leafs D is a helluva lot closer to the Canucks a year or two ago than it os to the current Canes

It's very likely. Not sure how I feel about it, though.
I'd be thrilled with Tanev as a partner for Rielly. Just scared of what the contract will look like for a guy with a lot of hard milage

Reactions: Nothingbutglass

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The goal wouldn't to get him to play 20+ minutes out of the blue. Mostly an efficient and competent defenseman hopefully signed to a solid deal with hopes that perhaps he can keep improving. If he gets a lot of money in free agency then obviously you don't take the plunge.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
The goal wouldn't to get him to play 20+ minutes out of the blue. Mostly an efficient and competent defenseman hopefully signed to a solid deal with hopes that perhaps he can keep improving. If he gets a lot of money in free agency then obviously you don't take the plunge.
no, not 20 mins, but, he had 6 goals in his first full season and 8 this past season, that alone is a stat none of our current D have matched the past 2 seasons, Rielly included, and as a RHD, he would a better fit for our #1 PP

Reactions: SprDaVE

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I dunno, I think if you believe in him to be a top 4 guy (I dont) and sign him with that intention it could make sense. But if your plan is to play him his 15 mins a night I just don't see the point. The bottom pair should be some combo of Benoit, Liljgren, Timmins, or whoever comes up from the Marlies next year.

The 2 holes on defence are in the top 4. Another dime a dozen bottom pair guy doesn't fix that

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I expect Tanev to be #1 for Treliving, so I half expect it.
You're probably right. But I don't really want to pay him like 6-7M for 3 years. He's already 34.

Would rather someone younger. But unless Marner or JT waives, probably unlikely.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd be thrilled with Tanev as a partner for Rielly. Just scared of what the contract will look like for a guy with a lot of hard milage
Exactly. I mean, look at Brodie; he went from top 4 to healthy scratch in one year.

Personally, he's not one of the top three RHDs I'd go for in free agency. But it's likely he will end up in Toronto.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I expect Treliving to target Zadorov for the #4 spot on the right side (Like the player, don't like the contract he's going to get). And I expect Treliving to go after Montour/Pesce/Roy/Walker for the #2 spot beside Moe.

Don't want Tanev, I think we need to move away from paying 34/35 year old guys in our lineup because they almost always decline in the last year of the deals.

Reactions: Jmo89

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

Agreed. I think the most valuable part of a Marner trade is his cap space, which is sad considering the player we thought the team had 4-5 seasons ago.

I'm not holding my breath that a new coach will suddenly change what Marner is, or that the team will find success paying 3 guys over 11M with none of them being dmen.

He either walks for nothing in a year or they get couple lesser pieces back.

Reactions: CincoHolio

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I expect Tanev to be #1 for Treliving, so I half expect it.
If he wants to take a hometown discount, then maybe.

But at his age, any kind of multi-year moderately priced contract is risky, especially with his injury history.

Unfortunately, Treliving has a bit of a history of questionable UFA signings (granted it's harder to attract players to Calgary).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I expect Treliving to target Zadorov for the #4 spot on the right side (Like the player, don't like the contract he's going to get). And I expect Treliving to go after Montour/Pesce/Roy/Walker for the #2 spot beside Moe.

Don't want Tanev, I think we need to move away from paying 34/35 year old guys in our lineup because they almost always decline in the last year of the deals.

Tanev is doing fantastic on Dallas.

As long as you keep the term to 1-2 years, he immediately improves our PK.

X-X
X-Tanev
Benoit-McCabe

McCabe could go to 2nd pair LD as well but that's what I am willing to commit to right now as the defense next year.

I would like a better PP QB than Rielly

I don't want Liljegren back.

Reactions: Folignos Helmet

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Tanev is doing fantastic on Dallas.

As long as you keep the term to 1-2 years, he immediately improves our PK.

X-X
X-Tanev
Benoit-McCabe

McCabe could go to 2nd pair LD as well but that's what I am willing to commit to right now as the defense next year.

I would like a better PP QB than Rielly

I don't want Liljegren back.
Yeah, He's playing well on Dallas, but I find the older players 35+ are getting that 3rd year right, Like Reaves Marleau, if you want the player you gotta give em that 3rd year and thats when the big issues come.

I think Lillypad is gone from the team this summer, I don't think Toronto wants to commit to him and I don't think he's the type of d-man Treliving likes. You could put McCabe on the right side as well and it helps in the top 4 and allows you to sign a leftie but I currently have:

Rielly - xxx
McCabe - xxx
Benoit - xxx (I would prefer to bring back Boosh/Edmudnson to fill the big tough guy role) or someone similar.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, He's playing well on Dallas, but I find the older players 35+ are getting that 3rd year right, Like Reaves Marleau, if you want the player you gotta give em that 3rd year and thats when the big issues come.

I think Lillypad is gone from the team this summer, I don't think Toronto wants to commit to him and I don't think he's the type of d-man Treliving likes. You could put McCabe on the right side as well and it helps in the top 4 and allows you to sign a leftie but I currently have:

Rielly - xxx
McCabe - xxx
Benoit - xxx (I would prefer to bring back Boosh/Edmudnson to fill the big tough guy role) or someone similar.

I'd need to avoid the 3rd year or I would need a deep discount in AAV for the 3rd year with a handshake agreement on LTIRetirement

I liked Edmundson but it feels like it's Benoit or him at 3rd pairing LD and we extended Benoit.

We tried Liljegren and have been patient but it's been 1 step forward, 2 steps back too often.

Rielly is just not dynamic enough to be a PP QB for us, shot isn't good enough, he doesn't move around enough up top whereas you see the league's best on the point launching bombs or skating the line to open up shooting lanes etc.

I'd like Montour to take that role.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Do we know how much Montour and McCabe played together in Buffalo?

While the Benoit-McCabe pairing works, I'd prefer McCabe as a cover guy for Montour, hypothetically.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad