GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
4 but who cares? we are talking about Willy and who said anything about moving Willie off the team? My position is we need to move Marner and build around 34 and 88 going forward. Willy is not paid to be Tom Wilson but that does not mean he is not soft.
your comment was worded as willy is soft as in he wouldnt survive in that game last night.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
your comment was worded as willy is soft as in he wouldnt survive in that game last night.
Styles would survive, but how engaged he’d be is the real question. He’s shown he’ll go to the dirty areas, but not often, and not near enough to make a difference imo. It befuddles me because he’s built pretty solidly, maybe his father told him to avoid contact and extend your career?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I'd ask for Danielson over any other asset. Leafs haven't had a top 9 RS C since Bozak.
Not sure how I forgot about him, he would probably need to be involved in any Marner deal you’re right. Edvinsson would be a nice pickup as well, big body who can provide some offence from the blueline.

I'd ask for Danielson over any other asset. Leafs haven't had a top 9 RS C since Bozak.
Not sure how I forgot about him, he would probably need to be involved in any Marner deal you’re right. Edvinsson would be a nice pickup as well, big body who can provide some offence from the blueline.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Correct Marner definitely, Willie to a lesser extent. Willie has this knack of being a passenger at times but all of a sudden he will score you a big goal or make an elite setup.

Willie's game has also grown since he signed as an RFA. Marner is the same player.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Rielly and Lilly for Borgen and one of McCann or Tanev, I’d say Dunn, but that ain’t happening……..
I think I'd rather have McCann for his scoring, assuming we do not bring Bert back.
I could see Rielly going to Seattle, it's on the west coast. Dunn would be interesting, similar cap hit, but I imagine if it was Borgen Seattle would need to send more players to make up for the cap space, so I 'm not sure about that one. Of course the other option would be we retain some of Rielly's salary which I would not want to do.

If we aren't bringing Reaves back, Tanev would be a nice replacement!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lots of interesting trade proposals. For Marner, the one that I could see happening would be with Arizona/Utah. Smith will be wanting to make this team both exciting and a playoff contender. Marner fits the bill there., and we get two good players (I'm talking out of the side of my mouth here because I do not know these players' stats) to help balance out the lines. Also, we get out from under Marner's next contract demands as well as his disappearing acts in the playoffs.

I can't see Tampa doing it because those two players are signed for quite a few years at very reasonable contracts. As for the Kings, they already have PLD for the next 8 years (yikes), so I cannot imagine they would want Marner and what his next contract will be. I am not familiar with either the team or players with the other one.

I think if Rielly is willing to go anywhere, it would be either Vancouver or Seattle.

I think Tavares wants to stay, and I don't blame him if he does. It's his right to do so.

I tried to do a mix of competitive teams, life style (sun) and tax breaks so the players would have multiple choices, assuming of course the other teams would make such offers.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Correct Marner definitely, Willie to a lesser extent. Willie has this knack of being a passenger at times but all of a sudden he will score you a big goal or make an elite setup.

Willie's game has also grown since he signed as an RFA. Marner is the same player.
I believe willy's speed and ability to create and score goals makes him better for a playoff performance versus Marner

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
NMC he's not going to Anaheim.
Like I said in another reply, a trade to a bottom feeder is the best chance to get value. If he says no then we're getting even less.

Which "good" team even wants 11million, resign for 12+ Marner? Why not sign Stammer/Guentzel/Reinhart for 9 instead? If you're good you'll need to dump a bunch of salary too, disrupt the chemistry, etc and then give up something of value? I don't see much interest in Mitch for any team that's a desirable location and also good.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think I'd rather have McCann for his scoring, assuming we do not bring Bert back.
I could see Rielly going to Seattle, it's on the west coast. Dunn would be interesting, similar cap hit, but I imagine if it was Borgen Seattle would need to send more players to make up for the cap space, so I 'm not sure about that one. Of course the other option would be we retain some of Rielly's salary which I would not want to do.

If we aren't bringing Reaves back, Tanev would be a nice replacement!
Might help to get his brother signed too, if you’re a fan of his. Personally I think he’d go back to being injury plagued if the Leafs signed him, team luck and all……..

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I believe willy's speed and ability to create and score goals makes him better for a playoff performance versus Marner
1000% The stat that says Mitch's shots in the playoffs are much further out is telling. The fact that he disappears in games 4-7 while Willie's numbers rise slightly is further proof.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
What team is out there that he wants to go to, wants to resign with, and also wants him at 12+million a year? If he wants his money, which I'd be shocked if he doesn't, the only option to that gets any value back for the Leafs is going to be bottom feeders.
I think Marner has lost his love for the game and joy to play here in Toronto, you can see it in his interviews. I think playing in Canada is a no go for Marner moving forward, too much pressure and scrutiny when playing poorly.

He's going to get his money from any team that wants him, that's not a issue. Think of teams on the bubble that need a player like Marner to take the next step or lower end teams that need to start winning to have a positive culture. (I can't see a Bedard type player being very happy winning only 15 games again.)

Teams I see that would need a Marner and I think he would sign as its less pressure:

Nashvile, Kings, Islanders, St. Louis, Detroit, Minnesota Kraken, Buffalo (Maybe) Utah, Columbus, Anaheim, Chicago.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think Marner has lost his love for the game and joy to play here in Toronto, you can see it in his interviews. I think playing in Canada is a no go for Marner moving forward, too much pressure and scrutiny when playing poorly.

He's going to get his money from any team that wants him, that's not a issue. Think of teams on the bubble that need a player like Marner to take the next step or lower end teams that need to start winning to have a positive culture. (I can't see a Bedard type player being very happy winning only 15 games again.)

Teams I see that would need a Marner and I think he would sign as its less pressure:

Nashvile, Kings, Islanders, St. Louis, Detroit, Minnesota Kraken, Buffalo (Maybe) Utah, Columbus, Anaheim, Chicago.
Out of those teams listed, I can see Marner potentially agreeing to Nashville, Los Angeles, Detroit, Seattle and potentially Utah. Don’t see him waiving for Buffalo, Anaheim, Chicago and Geurin sure as hell won’t want him in Minnesota lol

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Out of those teams listed, I can see Marner potentially agreeing to Nashville, Los Angeles, Detroit, Seattle and potentially Utah. Don’t see him waiving for Buffalo, Anaheim, Chicago and Geurin sure as hell won’t want him in Minnesota lol
Chicago to play with Bedard maybe... but I'm not sure what we'd legitimately want from them, that helps us long term. I'm not a fan of Jones TBH. It's probably too soon for them, to really spend the assets on a Marner anyway.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I cannot disagree more. You remove Rielly to add Montour, you're in the same issue we just were this past season. Very little puck moving ability and shooting ability, average mobility and very little upside/depth when injuries start piling up.

This is the idea the Leafs had when they signed Klingberg. Someone that can add skill and skating ability. It was a disaster but that was the idea. They need to find someone that can do that. Montour showed in the last couple seasons he's able to play a lot of minutes at a high level, not just a PP merchant. He must be doing something right playing the most of any of their D in the regular season and playoffs.
We can use another puck mover but it shouldn't cost 7.5m and should be a younger option. The biggest deterrent for me here is the age + term of the players. If Montour was 26 and there was an overlap in age with Rielly, I'd be all for it. Turns me off having two similar players locked in who will very quickly be on the wrong side of 30.

Reactions: Americanadian

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Chicago to play with Bedard maybe... but I'm not sure what we'd legitimately want from them, that helps us long term. I'm not a fan of Jones TBH. It's probably too soon for them, to really spend the assets on a Marner anyway.
I’m sure playing with Bedard would be a cool idea until you see the rest of that roster… Chicago is still very far from competing or even making the playoffs. Not sure Marner wants to be apart of that Ike entering his prime years. Nashville, Seattle and Los Angeles seem like the most likely with Detroit being a dark horse in all of this IMO.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Get him on the phone with ROR and I'm sure he'll accept out of TO
Saros + Glass or Parssinen for Marner
they need scoring , leafs need goaltending

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Then you have to develope your own dmen. Unfortunately the Leafs have sucked at that.

Elite Bruins dmen over the years: Orr, Park (trade), Bourque, Chara (trade), MacAvoy

Leafs: Salming, Rielly.
Tre needs to find a couple of diamonds in the rough like he did with Benoit until they can draft and develop their own D men..........

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Might help to get his brother signed too, if you’re a fan of his. Personally I think he’d go back to being injury plagued if the Leafs signed him, team luck and all……..
I would do it for 2 years max depending on how much he wanted. Would he come for $2 million per? If he'd come for that amount, though, he'd probably want at least 1 more year. Not sure I would do that.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The Shane Wright idea is interesting.
He played well in his recent callup and he could just be another example of someone that was a slow burn similar to Laf or Byfield.
You will have to acquire him this offseason tho, because all he needs is a few good months to start the season and his value will go right back to impact young player like he was seen at the draft.

Will he stick at Center longterm? How are his defensive skills? We really need a longterm solution at 2C so he could be a great fit.

Could be a real high risk high reward type spot.

Reactions: aingefan

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Gardner had that happen and then his back just went. sorry for being weary of a taller player with a back injury who's 30 years old
Be weary all you want. 1 injury 4 years ago doesnt mean pooo. He played 99% of his games in last 3 seasons. Lol

Reactions: Jmo89

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Shane Wright idea is interesting.
He played well in his recent callup and he could just be another example of someone that was a slow burn similar to Laf or Byfield.
You will have to acquire him this offseason tho, because all he needs is a few good months to start the season and his value will go right back to impact young player like he was seen at the draft.

Will he stick at Center longterm? How are his defensive skills? We really need a longterm solution at 2C so he could be a great fit.

Could be a real high risk high reward type spot.

They do need a big star addition to me but they have enough other assets they can afford to keep Wright if they want to make a big addition. They need him quite a bit going into next season looking at their roster. They have a lot of wingers, but they are all mid-tier wingers at best.

HomelessPepper

Jul 1, 2019
Problem with Chychrun is you're going to pay a premium to get him out of a rival and he's left handed. He's not very expensive on the cap and plenty of teams will go after him. I think if you're looking for a young-ish dynamic left handed defenseman, you might as well just chase Skjei.

I think for me Montour fits most of the check marks. Roy, Pesce or Tanev as well for the veteran defensive d-man that can play big defensive minutes. Re-sign Lyubushkin, look to flip Liljegren, and you have a good top 8. More offense but with the same size + physicality.
If we move Marner and trim some fat, there's plenty of cap to go after several ufa dmen. I mocked up something like this:

Reilly - Tanev/Roy (5.5ish)
Skjei (7.5ish) - Montour (6.5ish)
Benoit - McCabe

And there was still cap for Stolarz, Domi, and another 5Mish top-6 guy.

Edit: my mock was Domi OR some other 5M top-6 guy, not both.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we move Marner and trim some fat, there's plenty of cap to go after several ufa dmen. I mocked up something like this:

Reilly - Tanev/Roy (5.5ish)
Skjei (7.5ish) - Montour (6.5ish)
Benoit - McCabe

And there was still cap for Stolarz, Domi, and another 5Mish top-6 guy.

That's a lot allocated to the back end but hard to argue how good that would be.

HomelessPepper

Jul 1, 2019
That's a lot allocated to the back end but hard to argue how good that would be.
Yep, but a quality top-4 is long overdue.

If we were confident that Lily was up to the task, we could shave off one of those guys for a cheaper Lily, but I just don't have that confidence right now.

Of course, being able to snag 3 of these guys is pretty unlikely, but fun to think about what could be.

horner

May 22, 2007
Like I said in another reply, a trade to a bottom feeder is the best chance to get value. If he says no then we're getting even less.

Which "good" team even wants 11million, resign for 12+ Marner? Why not sign Stammer/Guentzel/Reinhart for 9 instead? If you're good you'll need to dump a bunch of salary too, disrupt the chemistry, etc and then give up something of value? I don't see much interest in Mitch for any team that's a desirable location and also good.
The first priority is defense
The second priority is a 1B baclup
Sign Domi
Signing another player for 9 mil puts tight where we are no cap to build a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad