GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If I was marner and wanted to move to a location of my choice ...

Vancouver would be an option.
Nice city.
Not too big.
Expensive but that wouldn't be a concern.

Buffalo is close to family and relatives.
Detroit is close to family and relatives.
Carolina is in a nice state.
Tampa, while still above water, is/was fine and a short drive from St. Petes.
Seattle is a solid town.
I thought San Francisco was nice ... waterfront San Jose

Reactions: aingefan

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If I was marner and wanted to move to a location of my choice ...

Vancouver would be an option.
Nice city.
Not too big.
Expensive but that wouldn't be a concern.

Buffalo is close to family and relatives.
Detroit is close to family and relatives.
Carolina is in a nice state.
Tampa, while still above water, is/was fine and a short drive from St. Petes.
Seattle is a solid town.
I thought San Francisco was nice ... waterfront San Jose
If I am MM, I would play in a non Hockey Market plus already have a leadership group in place.
That way, it will be a lot less pressure to come in. It will more like, just play hockey and I will let the rest worry about other stuff. Kind of like Eichel joining the Knights.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They soured on him because he's horrible at his cap hit. The last thing this team needs is another overpaid inefficient player that just doesn't move the needle. He's signed until 2030. It's an insane idea to even suggest. If he had 1 or 2 years left on his deal then maybe it kind of makes sense but at his current cap hit and term, I struggle to even come up with a way to add him for free.

I'm not sure on Jones.

Is it like going from one overpaid forward to an overpaid defender signed until he's 36?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If I am MM, I would play in a non Hockey Market plus already have a leadership group in place.
That way, it will be a lot less pressure to come in. It will more like, just play hockey and I will let the rest worry about other stuff. Kind of like Eichel joining the Knights.
Well, most of the locations I listed aren't hockey markets.

Carolina, Tampa, Seattle, San Jose just have hockey teams, but aren't hockey markets, regardless of what their die-hard fans would tell you.

Football, NCAA, baseball ... oh and hockey.

Reactions: Gabriel426

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We need to badly fix the PP.
You can easily make an argument it's been our biggest problem.

This is what our PP has done in elimination games.

Game 5 vs BOS 0 for 3
Game 6 vs BOS 0 for 3
Game 7 vs BOS 0 for 1

Game 4 vs FLA 1 for 2
Game 5 vs FLA 0 for 2

Game 5 vs TB 0 for 2
Game 6 vs TB 0 for 2

Game 6 vs TB 0 for 1
Game 7 vs TB 0 for 3

Game 5 vs MON 0 for 1
Game 6 vs MON 0 for 4
Game 7 vs MON 0 for 2

Someone feel free to correct these numbers if I messed up because at first glance that means we're 1 for 26 ???

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well, most of the locations I listed aren't hockey markets.

Carolina, Tampa, Seattle, San Jose just have hockey teams, but aren't hockey markets, regardless of what their die-hard fans would tell you.

Football, NCAA, baseball ... oh and hockey.
But Seattle and SJ will probably be a NO, as they don't have leadership in place.
Canes and Lightning are perfect.

I'm not sure on Jones.

Is it like going from one overpaid forward to an overpaid defender signed until he's 36?
I am very interested in what happened to Seth Jones?
I don't follow him at all, would be great if someone who follows more can shred some light.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There is 0 goalies on the UFA market. I know going back to Sammy is not an option, but who do you get?

Here is the top 5:
  1. Cam Talbot
  2. Anthony Stolarz
  3. Alex Nedeljkovic
  4. Kaapo Kahkonen
  5. James Reimer

Like it's pretty bleak on that department
Stolarz would be awesome. Driedger, Wedgewood, Brossoit would be great options.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There is 0 goalies on the UFA market. I know going back to Sammy is not an option, but who do you get?

Here is the top 5:
  1. Cam Talbot
  2. Anthony Stolarz
  3. Alex Nedeljkovic
  4. Kaapo Kahkonen
  5. James Reimer

Driedger is up there for me. But yeah it's a weak goaltending market, and sometimes that's ok. I know Woll is made of glass but I'd expect him to get a lot of starts next year.

Give a 1 or 2 year deal to Driedger or Wedgewood or Brossoit or Nedejlkovic, make Woll the #1 and give Hildeby or maybe even AA a chance to steal the back-up role. If Woll goes down with an injury, you get to see what you have in Hildeby/AA. Hildeby is turning 23 years old with plenty of pro experience, he should be more than ready to get into the NHL.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Marner deserves months on top of months worth of ridicule but losing him when JT is off the books soon is lunacy

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A hypothetical Marner trade is likely going to be quantity for quality type, and will depend a bit on if he inks an extension.

I'd expect 1 win now type piece, ideally a younger 3C or top 4 D + and then either a 1st or prospect recently taken in the 1st round.

A wild ard would involve him returning a vet top 2/4 D with term

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No offense to the analytics crowd but when you watch Seth Jones play it’s eye popping what an all-tool defenseman he is. His problem isn’t that he sucks or isn’t an NHL player, it’s where he’s been lately and also some lingering questions about his compete level etc.

The issue is he's still paid 9.5 million, so you're not even saving all that much relative to Marner.

He's been better than his reputation,.but he's still not a #1 D man.

If the Hawks were willing to retain 1.5-2ish million it would be more palatable

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Marner deserves months on top of months worth of ridicule but losing him when JT is off the books soon is lunacy
Even with JT coming off the books or re-signing on a team friendly extension soon (3-5M AAV range depending on term), keeping the other 3 with Nylander having the lowest cap hit would still be lunacy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The issue is he's still paid 9.5 million, so you're not even saving all that much relative to Marner.

He's been better than his reputation,.but he's still not a #1 D man.

If the Hawks were willing to retain 1.5-2ish million it would be more palatable

Marner for Jones isn’t a great, great match, since I’m sure people are worried about the optics of a Marner-Bedard looking terrible for the Leafs but Rielly for Jones might be doable from a money POV. Contracts end around the same time and you get a bigger defenseman who can play the workhorse role, is a way better skater.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
A hypothetical Marner trade is likely going to be quantity for quality type, and will depend a bit on if he inks an extension.

I'd expect 1 win now type piece, ideally a younger 3C or top 4 D + and then either a 1st or prospect recently taken in the 1st round.

A wild ard would involve him returning a vet top 2/4 D with term

Eichel trade return might be the best comparable.

Very good young player + Blue Chip Prospect + 1st

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
A couple different Marner offers from a pair of Seattle fans, assuming Marner would extend with them

Bjorkstrand+2025 1st + 2024 NYR 2nd + Nyman/Goyette/Sale
Bjorkstrand + Oleksiak + 2024 40th ovr + Nyman + Goyette

Option 2 could maybe have Larsson instead of Oleksiak

Some will not like the quarter and dime nature, but there's a lot of value there. Rehkopf is the prospect I would want but they were stingy on him. Push comes to shove, if either came to pass I wouldn't hate it.

In any case, a pleasant reminder that the main board trolls saying he's a cap dump aren't the prevailing opinion in the hockey world.

If we're dealing with Seattle I want one of McCann or Dunn included

McCann/Dunn + Goyette/Rehkopf + 2025 1st round pick

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Here is the top 5:
  1. Cam Talbot
  2. Anthony Stolarz
  3. Alex Nedeljkovic
  4. Kaapo Kahkonen
  5. James Reimer

Trade for the last year of Markstrom's deal if Calgary doesn't try to stick it to Tre.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
We all know Tanev is getting signed on July 1st. He is a Tre favorite. Hoping it's not an overpayment.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Markstrom
Andersson
Sharangovich

To Calgary-
Marner
Liljegren
Abruzzese

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
The only way I can imagine JT waiving his NMC is if the Leafs point blank say we dont want you back, we'll send you to a team that will buy you out and you can become a FA, pretty much like the Marleau deal. Probably not a realistic scenario considering theres maybe like 2 or 3 teams that would be willing to have that dead cap due to the buyout and the price to dump the contract would be insane.

Reactions: Americanadian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad