GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Jarnkrok for a 2nd rounder is definitely NOT extreme high risk, the guy was completely useless in the last 2 years of playoff hockey, the definition of a complete non-factor
The risk would be giving one of Korczak or Schneider 3M. Moving Jarnkrok for a 2nd would be good business.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Chychrun is an RD, well-priced, probably wants out, Sens can't afford him and Chabot, has a great shot, and is a puck-mover. What we need.

How about Chychrun + 2nd + Mathieu Joseph (cap dump) for Marner. Nobody extended. Risky for both sides if the players walk, but quick and easy.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I agree. If you're going the replace Shanahan route, just go full scorched earth. Sucks for Treliving but that's the business. Back the money truck for Doug Armstrong as President, let him reshape it. Not sure who else could run this cursed team. Maybe Doug Wilson?
I will continue to beat the Jim Rutherford drum. Did it in Carolina and Pitt, doing it in Van now.
Local boy, played here, not afraid of spot light or the big move.
Carolina Cup 2006
Pittsburgh Cup 2016
Leafs in 2026?

I can wait a year :)

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
T
Would you guys be absolutely out on a Seth Jones deal? Money wise it seems like it has to be him plus some thing or two for Marner, but just that stuff aside. What about just adding Seth Jones the player, in general, if we can make the money work? Flawed player but not sure there is going to be a more talented RD in the UFA market or available.
The Blackhawks are likely not ready to move on from Jones just yet. They probably want Vlasic and Korchinski to get at least one more year of experience before moving out Jones, and if they become a playoff team quicker than expected, they might just keep Jones long-term.

The Maple Leafs are likely not ready to add a contract like that on defense until next summer when Tavares comes off the books. I could see an exception being made for signing Brett Pesce to a long-term deal on July 1st, or trading for a total stud. The cap structure of the team might make it make more sense if you're moving Marner out, but I think (a) we could get a better return for Marner, and (b) Chicago won't want Marner unless they can extend him long-term. They wouldn't be able to just add him and move him again at the deadline as a rental easily, as he would still have his NMC.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
That depends, are the Hawks eating 50% of his $9.5m contract for the next 6 years?
Likely no, not 50%. I think they would be willing to retain though.

The Blackhawks are likely not ready to move on from Jones just yet. They probably want Vlasic and Korchinski to get at least one more year of experience before moving out Jones, and if they become a playoff team quicker than expected, they might just keep Jones long-term.

The Maple Leafs are likely not ready to add a contract like that on defense until next summer when Tavares comes off the books. I could see an exception being made for signing Brett Pesce to a long-term deal on July 1st, or trading for a total stud. The cap structure of the team might make it make more sense if you're moving Marner out, but I think (a) we could get a better return for Marner, and (b) Chicago won't want Marner unless they can extend him long-term. They wouldn't be able to just add him and move him again at the deadline as a rental easily, as he would still have his NMC.
Our RD depth is terrible but I also know that Seth Jones has been pretty vocal about not wanting to be in Chicago, going as far as saying "if I could see three months in the future after I signed, I probably wouldn't have done it". The whole trade and contract was done by Stan Bowman and Kyle Davidson has done about everything he can to get away from that era. I think they would move on from him for a multitude of reasons, even if it is a year earlier than they would want.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
JT for couturier straight up, legooooooo :P
Puke, I’d rather ride out the last year of JT’s deal with him playing 3rd or 4th line centre then to acquire a captain that gets benched during the most important part of the season because he has “issues”. If Torts can stand him, I probably think it’s wise to stay clear of him……..

They have a bunch of great prospects

1. Wright
2. 8th OA pick
3. Carson Rehkoph
4. Eduard Sale
5. Jagger Firkus
6. Oscar Fiscar Molgard
7. Jani Nyman
8. David Goyette
9. Ryker Evans

The first two are better than Cowan and best pieces in our org prospect pool

The next 7 would be our 2nd best prospects ahead of Minten and probably Greb
Interesting, lots of options to recoup some of the future Boy Wonder threw away……..

Reactions: LeafSteel

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
And the rules that apply to Leafs' prospects apply to everyone else's prospects.

It isn't like people here are guaranteeing any of Grebyonkin, Cowan, Minten, Niemela, ... are NHL players.

Therefore to be consistent, there is no guarantee any of the prospects on Team X are guaranteed NHLers.

So picks or prospects?

There's always Jared M ... nevermind.
Will Borgen too…….

I wouldn’t trade Marner and think we should wait out the Tavares contract 1 more year. Fire Keefe, get rid of Samsonov and sign a good dman in free agency.
This team needs a change within the core four, trading Marner is a start, not resigning JT will help……..

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Here is a crazy off-season Tre goes wild

Pit - Erik Karlesson (25%) 7.5
Tor - Morgan Reilly - 7.5
Tor - Calle Jarnkrok - 2.1

VGK - Shea Theodore 5.25
VGK - Nicolas Roy 3.0
Tor - Mitch Marner - 10.9

Sing Brett Pesce 5x7.5
Sign Domi - 5 x 4
Sign Bertuzzi - 5x6

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Mccann - Roy - XX
Dewar- Kampf - Reeves
Roberston

Theodore - Pesce
McCabe - Karlesson
Benoit - Lijjgren

Woll
Vet back up

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Maybe Treliving should be fired…
What’s that got to do with not acquiring Seth Jones? He’s a high priced, underperforming D man, we got that covered by having Mo Rielly………

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Our RD depth is terrible but I also know that Seth Jones has been pretty vocal about not wanting to be in Chicago, going as far as saying "if I could see three months in the future after I signed, I probably wouldn't have done it". The whole trade and contract was done by Stan Bowman and Kyle Davidson has done about everything he can to get away from that era. I think they would move on from him for a multitude of reasons, even if it is a year earlier than they would want.
Would Chicago be interested in something around Marner + Liljegren for Jones + Kurashev + Nazar/Moore? I'm assuming the answer is "no" unless Marner wants to extend long-term in Chicago to play with Bedard, or unless Chicago talks to Marner and agrees to immediately re-trade him where he wants to go but with max salary retention, and Chicago likes the pieces they can get there more than Kurashev and Nazar/Moore.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Rather than Jones, just try to sign Brandon Montour.
Montour is a puck-moving powerplay defenseman. Jones is closer to what the Leafs need IMO... a guy who can eat minutes and play penalty kill, while contributing on the powerplay or even the 2nd powerplay unit. You won't win anything with a defense that can't actually play defense. It would be nicer if Rielly was a bit more of a playmaker or powerplay whiz, but all things considered, we need a defense-first or two-way right handed guy more than we need puck movers, I think. Pesce is a better fit.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Montour is a puck-moving powerplay defenseman. Jones is closer to what the Leafs need... a guy who can eat minutes and play penalty kill, which contributing on the powerplay or even the 2nd powerplay unit. You won't win anything with a defense that can't actually play defense. It would be nicer if Rielly was a bit more of a playmaker or powerplay whiz, but all things considered, we need a defense-first or two-way right handed guy more than we need puck movers, I think.
I think what you're looking at Jones to provide can be provided by Benoit and McCabe along with Edmundson if he is brought back. The Leafs have lacked a true shot from the point to make their PP dangerous in the playoffs. I think Montour is a better fit in that regard.

To often, our PP is negated in the playoffs when the opposition takes away any time and space from our skilled forwards because they can ignore the point because we have no threat to score from there, or create.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Would Chicago be interested in something around Marner + Liljegren for Jones + Kurashev + Nazar/Moore? I'm assuming the answer is "no" unless Marner wants to extend long-term in Chicago to play with Bedard, or unless Chicago talks to Marner and agrees to immediately re-trade him where he wants to go but with max salary retention, and Chicago likes the pieces they can get there more than Kurashev and Nazar/Moore.
It would depend on how much retention they avoid and also depend how much they don't like Seth with that mindset around the team. I definitely don't think they would want to move Moore or Nazar at all. I think they would welcome a RD coming back and Kurashev isn't a problem to move. Who knows. Interested to watch this playout this summer.

Seth would be good for Toronto. He plays hard. He can take some matchups. Elite athlete. Flawed player though. I personally think you guys could use Jones or Pesce more than someone like Montour but thats just my opinion.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I think what you're looking at Jones to provide can be provided by Benoit and McCabe along with Edmundson if he is brought back. The Leafs have lacked a true shot from the point to make their PP dangerous in the playoffs. I think Montour is a better fit in that regard.

To often, our PP is negated in the playoffs when the opposition takes away any time and space from our skilled forwards because they can ignore the point because we have no threat to score from there, or create.
Rielly - Benoit
McCabe - Montour
Edmundson - ( Liljegren / Timmins / UFA)

I don't that that top 4 can match up well against elite teams or go very far in the playoffs IMO.

I personally think this top 4 could get us somewhere :

Rielly - Pesce / Jones
McCabe - Benoit
( UFA? ) - ( Liljegren / Timmins / UFA )

or

Rielly - Jones / Pesce
McCabe - Pesce / Jones
Benoit - ( Liljegren / Timmins / UFA )

Just IMO. Everybody has their own opinion.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Chychrun is an RD, well-priced, probably wants out, Sens can't afford him and Chabot, has a great shot, and is a puck-mover. What we need.

How about Chychrun + 2nd + Mathieu Joseph (cap dump) for Marner. Nobody extended. Risky for both sides if the players walk, but quick and easy.
Would prefer we target Vince Dunn if Marner waives. Use the secondary piece(s) to couple with John Tavares on his way to San Jose for picks.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Talked with a Kings fan after both teams where eliminated.

He suggested a Marner deal for a package built around Adrian Kempe. That perked my ears. I wouldn't hang up the phone.

Doubt it happens, but it was an interesting hypothetical. I do like a guy with 9 goals in his last 11 playoff games.
Sounds kinda neat. I don’t think they could do it at the full cap hit, but there’s your second line. Not sure what a plus could be.
I think of Kempe as a LW, but listed as LW/C. Does he play much C?

horner

May 22, 2007
Would prefer we target Vince Dunn if Marner waives. Use the secondary piece(s) tno couple with John Tavares on his way to San Jose for picks.
NMC NMC NMC
If he decides to waive he will pick his destination.
SJ no
Minn no
Ott no
Columbas no
He won't pick a bottom feeder unless he wants to play with Berard.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Sounds kinda neat. I don’t think they could do it at the full cap hit, but there’s your second line. Not sure what a plus could be.
I think of Kempe as a LW, but listed as LW/C. Does he play much C?

He's a LW. The Kings tried him earlier in his career at Center and it failed.

Another thing about him is he penalty kills pretty well. He would just take Marner's spot on the kill.

Reactions: aingefan

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I was suggesting Jones a while ago as a last ditch for this core. At this point I think the best course of action is probably focus on making a coaching change and not commit to any more long term contracts

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $245.00