GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You guys have to trade Marner for futures or a dman. JT has 1 more year? That’s $11M in cap space. Don’t re-sign him, unless it’s for $5M or less. Knies is going to be a good player.
Tavares shouldnt be signed for league minimum

He needs to be treated like enemy # 1 if he doesnt waive his NMC this summer (if he waives and we cant find a trade to dump him then sure he can play the season before retiring or leaving toronto)

He is the anti-mackinnon. A natural born loser

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Honestly hate the run it back model, but it might be the best way to work in some young talent and fix the defense at the same time. Need to clear Timmins/Reaves/Jarnkrok/Kampf from the books though. 1 G in 7 games and caved in 5 on 5 for that $5M.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Holmberg-??? (Stamkos/Toffoli?)
Cowan-Minten-Dewar
Gregor/Steeves/Tverberg/Grebenkin

Rielly-??? (Montour/Parayko/Pesce/Tanev/etc)
McCabe-???
Benoit-Liljegren
Webber-Mattinen

Woll
Stolarz type of add or Hildebeast.

We haven't had a young bottom 6 since Matthews rookie season and you need a coach that would trust / play them. This lineup would give you back the $20M Treliving wasted last offseason to upgrade the defense with 2 RD and 3RW spots.

Hope the young kids take strides and let Marner/Tavares sweat out their contract years.

I think this is more or less what I expect for better or worse. A fairly similar lineup in terms of core players, different coaching staff, a bigger emphasis on upgrading the quality of defenders with proven ability. In a years time, you can re-assess the lineup like letting Marner and /or Tavares walk, etc and a whole new world opens up.

I do think they need to be a bit more aggressive in making changes though, especially if they are gonna keep the same high paid players. Just removing Jarnkrok and Kampf isn't enough. Robertson, Holmberg, Gregor, Cowan, Dewar and Minten is small and fairly one dimensional in terms of ability. Reaves is still gonna be around as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gallagbi

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Parayko + Buchnevich
For
Marner + Liljegren

Marner + Buch both have 1 year left and then UFA.
Obviously need Marner to waive NMC.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marner for konecny + who says no?

Philly is rebuilding. They traded away players at the deadline despite being in a playoff race. They don't want Marner. If the Leafs get a bunch of picks before the draft, it's possible they turn around and go after Konecny and/or Laughton though.

We have to look at teams that want to improve or at the very least have shown to be a piece or so away from getting even better. So like Nashville, Seattle, LA or maybe even Carolina. There might be curve balls out there that pop up but we'll see.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Honestly hate the run it back model, but it might be the best way to work in some young talent and fix the defense at the same time. Need to clear Timmins/Reaves/Jarnkrok/Kampf from the books though. 1 G in 7 games and caved in 5 on 5 for that $5M.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Holmberg-??? (Stamkos/Toffoli?)
Cowan-Minten-Dewar
Gregor/Steeves/Tverberg/Grebenkin

Rielly-??? (Montour/Parayko/Pesce/Tanev/etc)
McCabe-???
Benoit-Liljegren
Webber-Mattinen

Woll
Stolarz type of add or Hildebeast.

We haven't had a young bottom 6 since Matthews rookie season and you need a coach that would trust / play them. This lineup would give you back the $20M Treliving wasted last offseason to upgrade the defense with 2 RD and 3RW spots.

Hope the young kids take strides and let Marner/Tavares sweat out their contract years.
Too much smoke about them needing to blow it up. No way they run it back IMO. I'm guessing Marner will not be the only casualty. Hopefully heads will start rolling soon.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Crazy how Marner and Nylander played out.

I think we all expected Marner to be the lifelong Leaf who gave it his all and showed up in the playoffs. And Nylander would be the guy who just showed up and got soft come playoff time. Nylander was suppose to be the money hungry one.

In the end, it was the complete opposite. Nylander earned his last contract and brought value every year except his first year. He showed up when it mattered the most. He put the work in during the offseason and became a physical beast.

I wonder if Marner would have made more in his career if he took a bit less on his last deal but earned this next one.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I've come around on Jarncrok being traded. Despite the opinions of the segment of the fanbase that only value hits, blocks, and scoring plays and ignore the rest of the game he's a coaches dream (not just Keefe) in that he's detail oriented, hardworking, trustworthy through 200ft, and versatile. His contract is great value for money.

That being said- if Marner is being moved he's not the player we need. He's overkill and arguably a waste on a 4th line with Dewar and Kampf, And between Holmberg/Knies/McMann and one of Cowboy/Greb + Matthews/Nylander/JT there's only 2 top 9 spots left - and with Marner's money freed up- we need something more impactful than "versatile good value for 2.1"

I could see Utah being interested in turning some of their excess picks into Jarncrok+Liljegren

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
As an outsider, the player I am looking most at is JT and the fact that in the playoffs he has underperformed every year in the playoffs. I truly believe the hatred towards MM has been and was always created by the media to take the blame off of AM and JT. JT, local boy comes home and does good-but he hasn't and his cap hit has screwed the leafs more than any on ice play by MM

Reactions: notdoneyet

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think you could convince Tavares to waive his no-move clause, if he's going to a team that has a real chance to win. If we retain a significant portion, there will be a lot of teams interested. I think thats the most obvious conclusion to all of this.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I seriously doubt JT is going to waive, you may as well just chew on that one until next off-season and there's no way I'm paying someone to take him off our hands

I have serious doubts about Marner waiving either but a team in a similar position to us with some interesting young talent is LA, it's a place people want to go to as well

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I seriously doubt JT is going to waive, you may as well just chew on that one until next off-season and there's no way I'm paying someone to take him off our hands

I have serious doubts about Marner waiving either but a team in a similar position to us with some interesting young talent is LA, it's a place people want to go to as well
I feel like the likelihood that Tavares waives is basically zero.

And I put Marner at 10%.

I just cannot be bothered going back and forth with posters on this topic. It is a waste of time.

It makes me wonder what many posters do for a living because it is some fantasy level lunacy to think the Leafs have any leverage.

There is nothing worse than work environments where either management or employees fail to understand who has the leverage in a given situation.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Marner (extended) + Lily for Clarke + Fiala imo
There is a small problem with your proposal from Kings point of view.
LA badly needs Clarke who is their future 1D.
Also, they do not need disappearing in playoffs Marner.
Fila about 4 million cheaper and almost as good as Marner.
P.S. If you want to trade Marner for Kings D you can trade him for Doughty.

Reactions: ULF_55

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I've come around on Jarncrok being traded. Despite the opinions of the segment of the fanbase that only value hits, blocks, and scoring plays and ignore the rest of the game he's a coaches dream (not just Keefe) in that he's detail oriented, hardworking, trustworthy through 200ft, and versatile. His contract is great value for money.

That being said- if Marner is being moved he's not the player we need. He's overkill and arguably a waste on a 4th line with Dewar and Kampf, And between Holmberg/Knies/McMann and one of Cowboy/Greb + Matthews/Nylander/JT there's only 2 top 9 spots left - and with Marner's money freed up- we need something more impactful than "versatile good value for 2.1"

I could see Utah being interested in turning some of their excess picks into Jarncrok+Liljegren
It would work out fine if only Playoff Jarnkrok could somehow match the value of Jarnkrok's play during the regular season. That line unfortunately was just a non-factor when we needed...something, and the player with the most experience and highest pay is naturally going to be the one to stand out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad