Trades and Free Agency 2021 | Trade Deadline 6 weeks away

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
didn't realize Beagle was 3 mill, that is a bit steap but i thought this was for 3rd line C, he checks a lot of boxes....big, wins faceoffs, in canadian division, won a cup

agree would take retention and probably have to be a bigger deal but i think he's interesting...pearson and vatanen would probably be of interest as well but was going off the news of looking for a C

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
didn't realize Beagle was 3 mill, that is a bit steap but i thought this was for 3rd line C, he checks a lot of boxes....big, wins faceoffs, in canadian division, won a cup

agree would take retention and probably have to be a bigger deal but i think he's interesting...pearson and vatanen would probably be of interest as well but was going off the news of looking for a C

Not too sure that I agree with needing a C, I find that repetitive especially when we already have a lot of C depth after Matthews and Tavares. Kerfoot, Thornton, Spezza, Engvall, Boyd and Nylander if we really wanted have and can play C for the Leafs.

If the Leafs were looking to add the position they should be looking to improve is the wings. More size, speed and grit would do this team good. Someone like Pearson definitely would be a fit. But cannot see another C being brought in. I find that type of acquisition redundant.

Reactions: ToneDog

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Disagree. I feel like 3C is becoming a priority. We aren’t winning a cup with a makeshift 3rd line centre in Engvall or Kerfoot or Spezza.

Ideally we add a top 6 LW and 3C, then I’d say we are geared up for a deep playoff run. But I don’t know if Dubas can pull off both deals in season.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Honestly, I think you're just looking for the best player available, at the most reasonable price. I don't think center or wing really matters at this point.

Matthews, Tavares and Spezza are all true centers that can easily slide to the wing.

Nylander, Kerfoot, Thornton, Engvall and Boyd are all wingers that can easily slide into depth center roles.

That's 8 guys with experience playing in the middle, who can easily shift to the wing.... Just get the best player available and work it out positioning from there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Disagree. I feel like 3C is becoming a priority. We aren’t winning a cup with a makeshift 3rd line centre in Engvall or Kerfoot or Spezza.

Ideally we add a top 6 LW and 3C, then I’d say we are geared up for a deep playoff run. But I don’t know if Dubas can pull off both deals in season.

I'm leaning towards that way too. We have a lot of options for center but none of them have cemented themselves in the position. Either way, the Leafs really need at least an upgrade in their top 9.

There's a few options that would be interesting. Mirtle suggested a way to acquire Adam Henrique, who is still pretty good despite a tough season, in a multi-team retention trade to lower his cap hit to under 2.5M. Sounds very unlikely but Dubas is the kind of GM that would work hard to make that happen.

Apparently the Sabres are still thinking about playoffs, so sounds unlikely they will firesale the team anytime soon.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm leaning towards that way too. We have a lot of options for center but none of them have cemented themselves in the position. Either way, the Leafs really need at least an upgrade in their top 9.

There's a few options that would be interesting. Mirtle suggested a way to acquire Adam Henrique, who is still pretty good despite a tough season, in a multi-team retention trade to lower his cap hit to under 2.5M. Sounds very unlikely but Dubas is the kind of GM that would work hard to make that happen.

Apparently the Sabres are still thinking about playoffs, so sounds unlikely they will firesale the team anytime soon.

Well they're at the bottom of their division right now and 7 points back of a playoff spot.

2-3 more weeks like this and they should be thinking about selling.

Staal is definitely up there in my #3C upgrade targets .. Out of potential sellers right now I don't see many other better options.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Honestly, I think you're just looking for the best player available, at the most reasonable price. I don't think center or wing really matters at this point.

Matthews, Tavares and Spezza are all true centers that can easily slide to the wing.

Nylander, Kerfoot, Thornton, Engvall and Boyd are all wingers that can easily slide into depth center roles.

That's 8 guys with experience playing in the middle, who can easily shift to the wing.... Just get the best player available and work it out positioning from there.
I always get the impression that they want one legitimate centre on each line, and at least one winner who can play some centre.

And well said. I agree with you that the FO will look at all kinds of options and scenarios and consider the best fit at the best acquisition cost, because that’s really the point.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Something like a 2021 4th rounder + Engvall for Staal at 50% retained would be nice.

Hard to fit in a LW upgrade without moving Kerfoot. As that stands, when healthy, the lineup could be:

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Staal-Simmonds
Mikheyev-Spezza-Boyd

With some versatility in that line up as well. Hate putting Soup down on the 4th line but unless he can pick up some offense, he's best suited in an energy role on the fourth line.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

I believe once you get Simmonds and Thornton back players such as Engvall and Vesey become expendable or taxi squad players.

Your prototypical 3rd line should be Hyman-Kerfoot-Micheyev. A high motor line that is above average defensively, with speed and size. Your 4th line should be a combination of Simmonds, Spezza, Barabonov and Boyd. Again a high motor line with size and speed.

Your void is in the top 6. Where a solid winger is needed with size, grit and scoring ability. Some how Dubas needs to acquire that one winger. Someone like Forsberg, Pearson, JT Miller, Granlund, Miles Wood, Rakell, Jakob Silfverberg, Timo Meier, Kevin Fiala, Marcus Foligno, Ryan Hartman, etc). Any of these players would be instant upgrades in our top 6 and some may cost more then others.

Another name that I would take a flyer on if the Buffalo was willing to pay some if his contract is Okposo. Big winger that has had chemistry with Tavares in the past. Maybe reuniting them might be exactly what the doctor ordered at a minimal price.

Reactions: willmma

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

If we add a 3C, do we need a top 6 LW... if we keep Kerfoot?

What do we want out of a 3C? Is this a Staal/Haula type UFA, or do we go for a Bennett type guy, and hope that he can play 3C permanently for us? Derek Grant is a guy I wanted in the offseason, but he's more of a true 4C, plenty of grit, strong defensively, and one of the league's best Penalty Killers. Shame Ducks signed him to a 3year $1.5 mil deal, as that causes us cap headaches, but he wouldn't cost much, like a 4th rounder... maybe you up a more, and they retain 50%, and then he becomes a core guy for two more years at $750k on the cap... he'd be ideal on the 4th, and the PK. Beagle has been brought up, but his production leans towards a 4C, more than 3C, and at $3 mil, you can find options half that price, or better.

6LW... to me an ideal target is someone like Maxime Comtois... he has size, uses it, prototypical Power Forward, net presence, good defensively, young, and is currently leading his team in points, expansion draft exempt.. He's easily a 60 point guy on our team, and the type of size/grit/talent guy that helps you win in the playoffs... But... he's on the last year of his current contract, and might need $3-5 mil on the next contract... how does that fit in? Granlund is a RW... and Nylander is far better on RW, than LW... not sure this is the right move, but he wouldn't cost as much as some other options, Granlund brings some grit, but not near what Comtois would. Hall has been discussed, but would cost a lot, and be difficult to squeeze in the cap. Pearson has been mentioned... I suppose he's better than we have, yet he's still basically a 3rd/2nd line tweener, but with some grit. Brendan Lemieux has been mentioned by some too... I like his grit, but he's a 4th liner, and I don't think we can afford his $1.55 cap hit on the 4th line, unless we overpay for them to withhold 50%... not sure that they want to do that for another year.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Derek Grant from anaheim? Obviously, not a sexy name like Eric Stall but could be a cheaper option.

Good at faceoffs, good defensively, big and gritty.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

What do we want out of a 3C? Is this a Staal/Haula type UFA, or do we go for a Bennett type guy, and hope that he can play 3C permanently for us? Derek Grant is a guy I wanted in the offseason, but he's more of a true 4C, plenty of grit, strong defensively, and one of the league's best Penalty Killers. Shame Ducks signed him to a 3year $1.5 mil deal, as that causes us cap headaches, but he wouldn't cost much, like a 4th rounder... maybe you up a more, and they retain 50%, and then he becomes a core guy for two more years at $750k on the cap... he'd be ideal on the 4th, and the PK. Beagle has been brought up, but his production leans towards a 4C, more than 3C, and at $3 mil, you can find options half that price, or better.

6LW... to me an ideal target is someone like Maxime Comtois... he has size, uses it, prototypical Power Forward, net presence, good defensively, young, and is currently leading his team in points, expansion draft exempt.. He's easily a 60 point guy on our team, and the type of size/grit/talent guy that helps you win in the playoffs... But... he's on the last year of his current contract, and might need $3-5 mil on the next contract... how does that fit in? Granlund is a RW... and Nylander is far better on RW, than LW... not sure this is the right move, but he wouldn't cost as much as some other options, Granlund brings some grit, but not near what Comtois would. Hall has been discussed, but would cost a lot, and be difficult to squeeze in the cap. Pearson has been mentioned... I suppose he's better than we have, yet he's still basically a 3rd/2nd line tweener, but with some grit. Brendan Lemieux has been mentioned by some too... I like his grit, but he's a 4th liner, and I don't think we can afford his $1.55 cap hit on the 4th line, unless we overpay for them to withhold 50%... not sure that they want to do that for another year.

I believe Granlund is a LW not RW. Shoots left and is listed as a center. If he is brought in you have the option of playing him as your 3rd line C with Kerfoot on the wing or playing him on the LW with Kerfoot remaining at C on your 3rd line.

I personally would prefer Kerfoot off of Tavares line. He doesnt open enough space for Tavares and Nylander to be effective.

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I believe Granlund is a LW not RW. Shoots left and is listed as a center. If he is brought in you have the option of playing him as your 3rd line C with Kerfoot on the wing or playing him on the LW with Kerfoot remaining at C on your 3rd line.

I personally would prefer Kerfoot off of Tavares line. He doesnt open enough space for Tavares and Nylander to be effective.

Granlund hasn't been a C since 2015/16 really. He does shoot left, Cap Friendly lists him as a RW/C, everywhere else lists him as a C. He's not a C option.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Derek Grant from anaheim? Obviously, not a sexy name like Eric Stall but could be a cheaper option.

Good at faceoffs, good defensively, big and gritty.

Yes, Grant from Anaheim... and probably one of the best NHL players on the PK.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Has anyone else also noticed that HockeyBuzz and Eklund have stopped with the crazy trade rumours? I sometimes visit just for entertainment, but no more trade rumours!

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Comtois would be a dream, and I wouldn't worry too much about his next contract. He is a RFA in a time when teams don't have money so even less a worry about offer sheets. The downside is his cost, which willl be high. Like you said, he is leading his team, is young and can play in most situations.

I disagree on saying Lemieux is a 4th liner. His 21 y.o season in the AHL he was one of the top offensive guys in his age group.

I could see him developing over the next 2 or 3 years (when he hits 27) into a less offensive version of Hyman. a 20-20=40 type guy. Someone who your top 6 guys love having as the puck retriever, but doesnt get PP time but instead PK time.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Lemieux Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev ?? Robertson.

That is a nice looking top 9, even if you only get an average 3C.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
"The best" acquisition is obviously appealing. However, as we've seen, the condensed nature of this year's schedule and the continuation into the playoffs suggests that depth is going to have some impact on the eventual winner of the cup. With the Leafs having a number of players of a certain age, perhaps we should ensure we've sufficient depth to protect against someone being injured as the season progresses? A delicate balancing act. Dubas needs to send a message to the team saying, 'we can do this' with a substantial get. But, how much commitment can he afford? I think we can contend as we are currently constructed. I think the team would benefit from a bump. What to do?

If things are to revert back to last year's structure, the Leafs this year, will never have an easier road to the Cup. Boston, Florida, Tampa, the Leafs, we avoid that this year. Take the plunge, go Kawai Leanord and damn the consequences. You only get so many kicks at the can. To date, I've not seen this team fold like in years past, where the momentum drags the team down. Pull in a difference maker. A stud. It will cost, so be it.

Luck will always be a part of the winning team's march to the Cup. We've lived through many a year where luck has been against us. But, it can work the other way. Dubas, take the leap of faith and pull in the player who brings this team to the finals. I would target the following:

JT Miller
Miles Woods
Pavel Zacha
Pavel Buchnevich
Boone Jenner
Eric Staal (and overpay a little bit to get Casey Middlestadt)
Ryan Getzlaf
Rickard Rakell
Tomas Hertl
Filip Forsberg

The rest of the teams are in the hunt and I have know idea how things would be developed. Buchnevich, Staal, Getzlaf, Rakell, and Forsberg would be my targets.

As a minor trade, I'd move Vesey and a 4th for Crouse with Arizona, if they retained.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
"The best" acquisition is obviously appealing. However, as we've seen, the condensed nature of this year's schedule and the continuation into the playoffs suggests that depth is going to have some impact on the eventual winner of the cup. With the Leafs having a number of players of a certain age, perhaps we should ensure we've sufficient depth to protect against someone being injured as the season progresses? A delicate balancing act. Dubas needs to send a message to the team saying, 'we can do this' with a substantial get. But, how much commitment can he afford? I think we can contend as we are currently constructed. I think the team would benefit from a bump. What to do?

If things are to revert back to last year's structure, the Leafs this year, will never have an easier road to the Cup. Boston, Florida, Tampa, the Leafs, we avoid that this year. Take the plunge, go Kawai Leanord and damn the consequences. You only get so many kicks at the can. To date, I've not seen this team fold like in years past, where the momentum drags the team down. Pull in a difference maker. A stud. It will cost, so be it.

Luck will always be a part of the winning team's march to the Cup. We've lived through many a year where luck has been against us. But, it can work the other way. Dubas, take the leap of faith and pull in the player who brings this team to the finals. I would target the following:

JT Miller
Miles Woods
Pavel Zacha

Pavel Buchnevich
Boone Jenner
Eric Staal (and overpay a little bit to get Casey Middlestadt)
Ryan Getzlaf
Rickard Rakell
Tomas Hertl
Filip Forsberg

The rest of the teams are in the hunt and I have know idea how things would be developed. Buchnevich, Staal, Getzlaf, Rakell, and Forsberg would be my targets.

As a minor trade, I'd move Vesey and a 4th for Crouse with Arizona, if they retained.

Like the post, I highlighted Woods, Zacha and Stall as the best value for need propositions.
Miller, Buchnevich, Rakell and Forsberg are going to cost too much IMO.
I like Getzlaf as a UFA in the summer, but right now we would mostly be paying for name vs play.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I really don't know what direction I want the club to go down. I really could see KD making a massive splash and going for Filip Forsberg w/ 50% retention. The price will be very high undoubtingly. It just makes a lot of sense for our organization TBH. He will have 2 playoff pushes under his current deal. Nashville is not competing in those 2 years, so why would they care if they make the Leafs a more lethal team. Nashville ownership is likely wanting to cut operating costs during the pandemic as they have an underperforming team, lengthy term/high AAV deals for underperforming players, and a pending RFA Dante Fabbro to sign. The idea of signing Filip to another lengthy/costly deal in 2 years time is maybe something ownership is not prepared to do, especially given the teams poor results thus far. The expiry of Filip's deal would coincide with Moe's expiry as well. And given that we can confidently assume Sandy and Lilly will be with the big boys next year, we can evaluate their play and determine if we can afford to part with Moe and use that money to retain Filip instead. KD doesn't traditionally pay big bucks for rentals, which is great. However he is not opposed to paying for term. To me it really just makes sense.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Ya I think they probably acquire a good veteran 3C before the deadline. Probably for a 2nd Similar to the Plekanec deal

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

We don't need both. If we get a 3C, then Kerfoot is the top 6 LW and he has done very well in that role. There would not even be too many guys who could realistically be considered upgrades on the market:

- Taylor Hall
- Kyle Palmieri
- Tanner Pearson
- Alex Iafallo

Kerfoot is probably better than the last two guys on that list. So you are pretty much just looking at Palmieri who could be a reasonable addition, since Hall is not going to be worth his price tag, but that is hardly necessary (and still very expensive) when Kerfoot is doing very well and Palmieri just adds more of a goal scoring element than Kerfoot (playmaking-wise Kerfoot is probably on par with Palmieri, and Kerfoot is a better defensive player).

There are more longer term options (Rakell, etc.) but they too will be very expensive and difficult to fit into our cap.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Granlund has not been a center for like 6 years now, so Kerfoot would need to be the center 100% of the time.

The smart thing to do would be to add a guy who can play 3C full time but can also play wing if you want Kerfoot down the middle. That allows Kerfoot to fill various spots and gives you quality insurance if a center goes down (a natural center who is not Spezza can move down the middle).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad