Trades and Free Agency 2021 | Any day now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Why is Columbus moving their goalie?
Merzlikins makes a lot more sense. Columbus is very high on Korpisalo, as they should be. Not to mention Korpisalo still has another year remaining at only 2.8 million.

I can see Columbus having some interest in a Merzlikins for Andersen swap. We’d definitely have to sweeten to pot to make it actually happen. Which is where Dermott enters.

Andersen + Dermott for Merzlikins.

I wouldn’t even be against acquiring Harrington apart of this deal but I’d prefer not to to open up cap space.

While this would free up almost 1.9 million dollars, it’s also got its benefits for Columbus who isn’t the best financially. Freddys only making 1 million this year in salary which saves them a ton of money internally while staying competitive this year with a goaltending tandem of Korpisalo and Andersen.

This also allows them to find a backup goaltender for next year at a smaller cap hit than 4 million, which is pretty rich for any team.

We run a 1A-1B tandem with Merzlikins and Campbell.

We then use the added cap space to find either a top six LW or a third line C.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Washington absolutely, or even Pittsburgh but cap space is the major problem for them; I don't see how they could do it, especially Washington. Carolina could look to upgrade their vet alongside Ned and could make it work cap wise.

I agree Ullmark likely doesn't move the needle all that much, but he could significantly free up desired cap space, especially if he were retained, to upgrade beyond the crease.

Vegas made it work with Lehner and he had the same cap hit. They were just as desperate cap wise and needed a goalie.

We have to retain 50% and then maybe get a 3rd team involved that Washington has to pay just like Vegas paid us to retain on Lehner last year.

We get Vanecek and a pick in return. If we want, we could even give Vanecek as a tandem guy with Campbell even though it would be really risky. If we lose him to expansion it is not a huge deal (and arguably a good thing since we get to protect better guys) and he is probably not any more risky than Ullmark.

Otherwise, we can flip Vanecek as part of the package for a guy like Ullmark or whatever, or let Buffalo do their own Lehner deal involving Andersen and we get Ullmark + Staal in return.

There are always ways to make it work, and since Andersen only has 1 mill in salary, it is even easier to navigate.

MrGroove

Mar 9, 2021
Hey everyone!
Been a reader for many years. decided to finally join my awesome leaf family!
just had to run this idea:
perfect goalie and mentor to Campbell

Jonathan Quick to leafs at 50% (2.9 mill)
Anderson in return along with draft pick

now this can get better if we start adding Jeff Carter (50% retained) to this deal...of course we add...

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I was skeptical at first, but the more I think about it it could make sense. He'd have to come.cheap (mid round pick) and 50% retained.

I don't think he should be our primary target but adding top 6 + Staal would be a solid deadline.

Never would I have imagined Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds, and Staal could potentially all play for the leafs at the same time. Reminds me of those early 2000 Quinn Leafs

ohhh myyyy(starts to drool)

Report: Eric Staal open to trade, Oilers among possible options

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Vegas made it work with Lehner and he had the same cap space. They were just as desperate.

We have to retain 50% and then maybe get a 3rd team involved that Washington has to pay just like Vegas paid us to retain on Lehner last year.

We get Vanecek and a pick in return. If we want, we could even give Vanecek as a tandem guy with Campbell even though it would be really risky. If we lose him to expansion it is not a huge deal (and arguably a good thing since we get to protect better guys) and he is probably not any more risky than Ullmark.

Otherwise, we can flip Vanecek as part of the package for a guy like Ullmark or whatever.
I'm kind of high on Ullmark, but the opposite with Vanecek; I'd still much rather have Fred to be brutally honest.

As for Washington & Pittsburgh they could do it if they really were aggressive enough (and by moving out a roster player with a significant enough cap hit), but a player's contract cannot be retained to less than 50%. I think in that Vegas deal something like 47% was initially retained and then the final 3% was in the retained in a separate deal.

Reactions: New Liskeard

RaptorLeaf13

Feb 23, 2020
Hey everyone!
Been a reader for many years. decided to finally join my awesome leaf family!
just had to run this idea:
perfect goalie and mentor to Campbell

Jonathan Quick to leafs at 50% (2.9 mill)
Anderson in return along with draft pick

now this can get better if we start adding Jeff Carter (50% retained) to this deal...of course we add...
I haven’t really watched other teams. How is Quick this season? I remember him being one of the top
Goalies but his play fell and had injuries. He would be awesome. I remember him and Campbell would push each other.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Andersen + Dermott for Merzlikins

Kerfoot, Abramov, 2nd for Mantha

Engvall for Wallmark

No need to have any team retain any salaries either.

Mantha - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Wallmark - Simmonds
Thornton - Spezza - Vesey

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Lehtonen - Bogosian

Merzlikins - Campbell

Reactions: Fogelhund

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
The goalie market is trash. Not a lot of good goalies available it seems, and FA is also going to be pretty bad.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Jenner is actually playing on the wing this year. So kerfoot would fill the need for C. Works out to Korpisalo for a 2nd and if you have to throw in something else do it.

I am sure CBJ would nix the deal but would be nice for Toronto

I can’t say I know Columbus’ system enough to know if he just takes the face off and them plays the wing, but Jenner certainly lines up at center. He probably leads the team in face offs taken.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm kind of high on Ullmark, but the opposite with Vanecek; I'd still much rather have Fred to be brutally honest.

As for Washington & Pittsburgh they could do it if they really were aggressive enough (and by moving out a roster player with a significant enough cap hit), but a player's contract cannot be retained to less than 50%. I think in that Vegas deal something like 47% was initially retained and then the final 3% was in the retained in a separate deal.

Vanecek has been performing similarly well, is younger with upside (so he could be a longer term option for us possibly), and would open up a ton of cap space for us, even if we retained on Andersen. We can probably get an asset on top of him too. If we are running with Campbell, he wouldn't be the worst tandem partner... It is not like guys like Ullmark does not have uncertainty himself.

Chicago retained the max 50%, and then we retained an additional 44% on the remaining 2.5 mill. Vegas only had to deal with 1.4 mill of the 5 mill cap hit. I didn't know you could do that either, but that (and the Mark Streit deal a few years ago; I think Maatta is like that too) proves you can.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Merzlikins makes a lot more sense. Columbus is very high on Korpisalo, as they should be. Not to mention Korpisalo still has another year remaining at only 2.8 million.

I can see Columbus having some interest in a Merzlikins for Andersen swap. We’d definitely have to sweeten to pot to make it actually happen. Which is where Dermott enters.

Andersen + Dermott for Merzlikins.

I wouldn’t even be against acquiring Harrington apart of this deal but I’d prefer not to to open up cap space.

While this would free up almost 1.9 million dollars, it’s also got its benefits for Columbus who isn’t the best financially. Freddys only making 1 million this year in salary which saves them a ton of money internally while staying competitive this year with a goaltending tandem of Korpisalo and Andersen.

This also allows them to find a backup goaltender for next year at a smaller cap hit than 4 million, which is pretty rich for any team.

We run a 1A-1B tandem with Merzlikins and Campbell.

We then use the added cap space to find either a top six LW or a third line C.
They'd want to avoid shaking up their group too much, Dermott leaving would create a whole in defensive depth that would likely need to be readdressed. It wouldn't free up 1.9m, Dermott leaving means someone needs to be called up, can't play with 5 D. His replacement would be making as much money as he does; Lehtonen actually makes slightly more.

But yea something around Merzilkins for Andersen + (future(s)) if they were interested maybe... I haven't seen Merzilkins that much because he hasn't spent that much time in the NHL or playoffs, but I'm guessing he could be counted on to be at least as good, most likely better than Andersen. And that 1m might be just enough for their next move, because they're so close to the cap ceiling as is.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The goalie market is trash. Not a lot of good goalies available it seems, and FA is also going to be pretty bad.

Ullmark is a FA and I doubt he'd want to return to Buffalo. Good option imo if we wait until FA to look for a change in net.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
They'd want to avoid shaking up their group too much, Dermott leaving would create a whole in defensive depth that would likely need to be readdressed. It wouldn't free up 1.9m, Dermott leaving means someone needs to be called up, can't play with 5 D. His replacement would be making as much money as he does; Lehtonen actually makes slightly more.

But yea something around Merzilkins for Andersen + (future(s)) if they were interested maybe... I haven't seen Merzilkins that much because he hasn't spent that much time in the NHL or playoffs, but I'm guessing he could be counted on to be at least as good, most likely better than Andersen. And that 1m might be just enough for their next move, because they're so close to the cap ceiling as is.
Maybe Andersen, Engvall and a B level prospect can get it done for Merzlikins. We then flip a 3rd for Eric Staal with some retention.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Andersen + Dermott for Merzlikins

Kerfoot, Abramov, 2nd for Mantha

Engvall for Wallmark

No need to have any team retain any salaries either.

Mantha - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Wallmark - Simmonds
Thornton - Spezza - Vesey

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Lehtonen - Bogosian

Merzlikins - Campbell

I would do the goalie trade obviously. It is really good for us. We should make a defenseman trade to get a new #7 if Lehtonen steps into the full time lineup. We could even try to add Kerfoot for Jenner (or Foligno with retention if we really need to up the value on our side without giving up major futures) in there somehow, but that may get too complicated for a TDL trade with quarantine involved and I think we should keep Kerfoot TBH.

I don't think Detroit does the Mantha trade and we shouldn't pay more for him either. I would rather just protect Holl. and then expose Kerfoot.

Pass on the Wallmark trade. Engvall is a lot better, even if he is not a real center. Get a proper upgrade who can play center like Haula or Staal or just keep Engvall there.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

upload_2021-3-9_23-56-54.png

We can afford to do the trade and would actually have enough to move Engvall for a Staal (not that I say we should) without retention.

We would get retention because we'd likely have a full time #7 on the roster though.

EDIT: The real issue is they'd need to choose between Gavrikov and Dermott, so it likely doesn't make a ton of sense for them without other assets involved.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I would do the goalie trade obviously. It is really good for us. We should make a defenseman trade to get a new #7 if Lehtonen steps into the full time lineup. We could even try to add Kerfoot for Jenner (or Foligno with retention if we really need to up the value on our side without giving up major futures) in there somehow, but that may get too complicated for a TDL trade with quarantine involved and I think we should keep Kerfoot TBH.

I don't think Detroit does the Mantha trade and we shouldn't pay more for him either. I would rather just protect Holl. and then expose Kerfoot.

Pass on the Wallmark trade. Engvall is a lot better, even if he is not a real center. Get a proper upgrade who can play center like Haula or Staal or just keep Engvall there.
Jenner would be fantastic, I just don’t see Columbus moving him at all unfortunately.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Jenner would be fantastic, I just don’t see Columbus moving him at all unfortunately.

I don't think you need him.

Unfortunately, I don't think Columbus wants/needs Dermott enough for the deal to make sense.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Please stop with Merzlikins. He's a good goalie, but such an arrogant SOB. I can't stand this guy. I wouldn't watch any game with him as the starter.

He could maybe help though to be honest...

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Please stop with Merzlikins. He's a good goalie, but such an arrogant SOB. I can't stand this guy. I wouldn't watch any game with him as the starter.

If he wins games and backs up his arrogance with his performances without throwing his team under the bus when things don't go well, I could care less if he is cocky.

Most, if not all, goalies are sociopaths anyways. They have to be if they want to be good.

Reactions: stickty111

MrGroove

Mar 9, 2021
I haven’t really watched other teams. How is Quick this season? I remember him being one of the top
Goalies but his play fell and had injuries. He would be awesome. I remember him and Campbell would push each other.

he’s not the same when he was elite. you are right. BUT he’s:

4-0 in game 7s. That’s GOLD...
plus Conn Smythe and couple stanley cups...

we save cap space this year with this goalie exchange to add either carter or another winger. I trust quick way more in the playoffs. his last playoff he had 9.47 save % and 1.55 goals against back in 2018. our goalie cannot let in that one bad goal each game. stanley cup winning goalies make that save. we can’t joke around with our chance this year.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
If he wins games and backs up his arrogance with his performances without throwing his team under the bus when things don't go well, I could care less if he is cocky.

Most, if not all, goalies are sociopaths anyways. They have to be if they want to be good.

That's not wrong. ;) But I hate him. Maybe it would change, if he won games for us... I just can't imagine to cheer for him. Maybe he's a different person now after leaving the shittiest hockey club in the world (HC lugaNO)...

RaptorLeaf13

Feb 23, 2020
he’s not the same when he was elite. you are right. BUT he’s:

4-0 in game 7s. That’s GOLD...
plus Conn Smythe and couple stanley cups...

we save cap space this year with this goalie exchange to add either carter or another winger. I trust quick way more in the playoffs. his last playoff he had 9.47 save % and 1.55 goals against back in 2018. our goalie cannot let in that one bad goal each game. stanley cup winning goalies make that save. we can’t joke around with our chance this year.
Thank you for that info. As long as he brings his A game and plays consistently in the playoffs, I would be happy if he was our only option in goal. Just as long as he outperforms Andersen. Plus I think he is really competitive. That in itself will encourage and inspire the team to fight harder in front of him. But as for Andersen, I don’t think he cares if he sucks in goaltending and team morale goes down. As a result, they give up.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Has there been any locker room issues during his time in Columbus? I don’t think so? Maybe we need someone who will show some f***ing emotion.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
If I am Dubas I think we are set on D. Sandin, Lily, Lehtonen offer enough depth. Andy may be changing my thinking but they really need to find a winger to compliment Tavares and Willy. Having two dominant lines that compete each night would be a game changer. Third line is never going to get out worked. Granlund or Forsberg may be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad