Speculation: Trade with Washington Capitals and potential captain situation

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
With St Louis looking like a solid trade partner - wonder if they'd throw Tarasenko and a 1st for Miller?

PS Erat is a pretty handly player... would have no issues with him being here
Try Miller and our first for Tarasenko

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Buffalo isn't going to trade their 1st, Bad News is just saying that Tarasenko is too valuable for StL to trade unless Buffalo adds a lot to the original trade proposal - ie, instead of Buffalo getting StL's 1st, Buffalo would have to give theirs.

It won't happen, but value wise he's about right.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Buffalo isn't going to trade their 1st, Bad News is just saying that Tarasenko is too valuable for StL to trade unless Buffalo adds a lot to the original trade proposal - ie, instead of Buffalo getting StL's 1st, Buffalo would have to give theirs.

It won't happen, but value wise he's about right.

That value is nowhere near right when you factor in where the Sabres 1st will be.

Miller and the Sabres 2nd, might be, though.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Tarasenko's not coming available to us for anything short of an embarrassing overpayment. He's too good and already has a role on this team they'll need him to play in the playoffs. You'd have to give up the better players to make it happen.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Tarasenko's not coming available to us for anything short of an embarrassing overpayment. He's too good and already has a role on this team they'll need him to play in the playoffs. You'd have to give up the better players to make it happen.

I agree with this....I highly doubt that St Louis would move Tarasenko or Schwartz in a trade for Miller. I really see the return being a draft pick(s), salary (Halak or Elliott?) and possibly a prospect. I am hoping there is multiple interest for Miller such as Minnesota and Washington in which the return might be higher.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
That value is nowhere near right when you factor in where the Sabres 1st will be.

Miller and the Sabres 2nd, might be, though.
That value is a gross underpayment. You need to step away from the homerism of Miller and realize the situation with Tarensenko because hes still on his ELC and is easily controllable and affordable. Miller is a rental and 33 years old and going to be wanting Lundqvist money. Tarensenko is a big part of the St. Louis offense while Miller is an uncertainty.

In short Tarensenko is untouchable unless we grossly overpay.

Everyone needs to realize we won't get much for Miller, in hindsight he will fetch a goalie and a pick. Don't expect a young NHL proven forward for a rental goalie unless Miller is willing to do a sign and trade and I highly doubt he will because he will want to see what Anaheim does in the offseason when they let Hiller go.

We will probably have to package Miller with a young defensive prospect for a high quality young NHL top 6 forward. Why? because that's where the market is for goalies and anyone else who thinks different is just kidding themselves.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That value is a gross underpayment. You need to step away from the homerism of Miller and realize the situation with Tarensenko because hes still on his ELC and is easily controllable and affordable. Miller is a rental and 33 years old and going to be wanting Lundqvist money. Tarensenko is a big part of the St. Louis offense while Miller is an uncertainty.

In short Tarensenko is untouchable unless we grossly overpay.

Everyone needs to realize we won't get much for Miller, in hindsight he will fetch a goalie and a pick. Don't expect a young NHL proven forward for a rental goalie unless Miller is willing to do a sign and trade and I highly doubt he will because he will want to see what Anaheim does in the offseason when they let Hiller go.

We will probably have to package Miller with a young defensive prospect for a high quality young NHL top 6 forward. Why? because that's where the market is for goalies and anyone else who thinks different is just kidding themselves.

There is a difference between between gauging "fair value" and gauging what it would take to get a deal done when a team views a guy as "untouchable".

You said previously it would take Miller and a Sabres 1st to get Tarasenko.

I think that is a huge overpayment for Tarasenko given where the Sabres will likely pick in the 2014 and 2015 drafts.

And any deal centering around Miller and Tarasenko isn't a good one. If St Louis needed D (which they don't), then a deal centering around Tarasenko and Zadorov or Ristolainen would make more sense.

The bottom line is that I agree that the Sabres aren't going to get Tarasenko in a deal where Miller goes to St Louis. But, I don't think Tarasenko trade value is where you think it is if you think the Sabres need to give up Miller and a top 5 pick to get at a fair market price.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I wouldn't give up a guy like Sam R or Sam B for Tarasenko.

Would you?
Yeah because at least you know what your getting with Tarasenko. This draft is sketchy. Sam R might turn into equivalent of Tarasenko or better. If you want the gurantee I would if you want the sheer fact of getting a first or second overall then no. I wouldn't do it in 2015 but 2014 I would think about it.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I wouldn't give up a guy like Sam R or Sam B for Tarasenko.

Would you?

Remember, I was thinking in terms of Miller plus a 2015 1st that could end up being from #1-#8 (maybe). As far as Reinhart or Bennett specifically, no I would not trade Miller and one of those guys for Tarasenko. Not just value wise, but Buffalo really needs a quality C over a RW now too.

That's the last I have to say about a trade proposal that won't happen and that I'm not interested in.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah because at least you know what your getting with Tarasenko. This draft is sketchy. Sam R might turn into equivalent of Tarasenko or better. If you want the gurantee I would if you want the sheer fact of getting a first or second overall then no. I wouldn't do it in 2015 but 2014 I would think about it.

How much do you know about what you'll get out of Tarasenko?

He's a guy that isn't even on a 30 goal pace this season and you have the lovely KHL flight risk issue down the road when he hits RFA.

I like Tarasenko as a player, but there is no way I give up the Sabres 2014 1st for him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Remember, I was thinking in terms of Miller plus a 2015 1st that could end up being from #1-#8 (maybe). As far as Reinhart or Bennett specifically, no I would not trade Miller and one of those guys for Tarasenko. Not just value wise, but Buffalo really needs a quality C over a RW now too.

That's the last I have to say about a trade proposal that won't happen and that I'm not interested in.

If you give up the Sabres 2015 1st for Tarasenko, that has a huge chance of being one of the worst deals ever if that pick turns into McDavid.

If the Sabres were a playoff team this season and wasn't looking to be bad next year, that's one thing. But this team giving up their 2015 for a guy like Tarasenko is Forsberg for Erat reckless.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Giving up Miller + 2015 for anyone who would actually be traded is simply insane. Nevermind that it doesn't help St Louis this year to upgrade their goaltending while losing Tarasenko. One step forward, one step back. It makes no sense for either party.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Giving up Miller + 2015 for anyone who would actually be traded is simply insane. Nevermind that it doesn't help St Louis this year to upgrade their goaltending while losing Tarasenko. One step forward, one step back. It makes no sense for either party.

If Miller isn't an improvement in goal, then the Blues won't be calling Murray about him.

I'm guessing they view things differently.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If Miller isn't an improvement in goal, then the Blues won't be calling Murray about him.

They want Miller and have interest in him just not at the price of a top 6 forward. Your probably looking at a 2014 first, a 2015 second and Halak for Miller.

The market just isn't good for goalies this year, especially at trade deadline.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Of course he's an improvement in goal. I said they'd be improving one area and getting worse in another if they give up Tarasenko for Miller. They have no one to replace Tarasenko adequately.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They want Miller and have interest in him just not at the price of a top 6 forward. Your probably looking at a 2014 first, a 2015 second and Halak for Miller.

The market just isn't good for goalies this year, especially at trade deadline.

I never thought Tarasenko was on the table for Miller.

I doubt the Blues want to give up that much and I'm not sure Murray really wants a boatload of 2014 1sts, either.

I'm guessing guys like Rattie, Jaskin, and Carrier are of more interest to Murray than another 2014 1st. But, you never really know...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Of course he's an improvement in goal. I said they'd be improving one area and getting worse in another if they give up Tarasenko for Miller. They have no one to replace Tarasenko adequately.

This part confused me then:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad