Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To :coyotes

Jonathan Ericsson
2018 3rd Rnd Pick

To :wings

Luke Schenn

Arizona gets Ericsson who is still solid, plus a 3rd for taking his contract

Detroit gets a heavy hitting, shot blocker, on a cheap 1 yr deal, who I think is underrated in being a good 5-6 option.

What do you think?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
give up a draft pick to get rid of a contract that expires anyways in 3 years so Holland can have more cap space to make stupid signings? pass

lack of cap space is one of the few things that the Wings have going for them at the moment,helps keep our incompetent GM in check

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd rather trade Ericsson for a draft pick later on (on his final contract year).

Ericsson was good last year, when he was kept out of TOP4. No reason to push him there. 3rd pair LD should be a locked career position for him until he leaves. Being at 3rd pair gives you better looking stats and adds trade value. Just like it did with Smith.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd do it. A third is nothing and we move out a bad contract. Our team is loaded with terrible contracts, this is a low enough price to move one out. And for the cap space, keep it to maintain flexibility as the team is developing. Being so bad and somehow right up against the cap is truly terrible. I know Kenny will probably just sign a new vet to a 3 year deal, but I can't turn down a good deal because I expect our GM to behave like a moron.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I don't have any interest in moving big e. And I'm sure as hell not interested in giving away any draft picks.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I'd do it. A third is nothing and we move out a bad contract. Our team is loaded with terrible contracts, this is a low enough price to move one out. And for the cap space, keep it to maintain flexibility as the team is developing. Being so bad and somehow right up against the cap is truly terrible. I know Kenny will probably just sign a new vet to a 3 year deal, but I can't turn down a good deal because I expect our GM to behave like a moron.

i would say the bad contract is nothing. who cares about money if we are not making the playoffs. Id just stick with the player.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Easy pass. Schenn has no upside of the type we need, Ericsson and his contract aren't stopping us from anything we wouldn't be doing otherwise, and that 3rd has plenty of value as it'll likely be early in the round. I honestly can't see any advantage to this trade.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
We are probably losing kronwall and green soon. Who are we holding back that you are dying to get in the lineup? Russo? Renouf?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
We have a window where the team can not do anything because of the contracts Holland has collected. I wouldn't mind Holland getting rid of some shorter term bad contracts and taking on longer ones. We have until Abby;s contract is over to be competitive anyway but teams would need to pay to use Holland's landfill.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is the kind of trade we should consider if Larkin/Mantha/Mrazek/etc take big steps and we need to give them big money and the team suddenly becomes very good and we need to clear some cap space. But in our current situation we should not be paying futures to clear a few million of cap space. Especially not considering Ericsson is still actually a decent player.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We have a window where the team can not do anything because of the contracts Holland has collected. I wouldn't mind Holland getting rid of some shorter term bad contracts and taking on longer ones. We have until Abby;s contract is over to be competitive anyway but teams would need to pay to use Holland's landfill.

Good thing we don't have any young elite talent we need to spend any money on soon.

We have a window where our team will be bad and acquire high draft picks, it's a good thing. E's contract doesn't worry me for our future.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This is the kind of trade we should consider if Larkin/Mantha/Mrazek/etc take big steps and we need to give them big money and the team suddenly becomes very good and we need to clear some cap space. But in our current situation we should not be paying futures to clear a few million of cap space. Especially not considering Ericsson is still actually a decent player.

I mean, get some skates on his walker I am sure Orr could still be 'a decent player' too. There is no way you can call him a decent player without qualifying it with the fact that #1 he's overpaid for what he actually brings and #2 he has some pretty severe medical problems that will hamper him going forward. Getting rid of nearly dead weight like Ericsson would be a sign the culture is changing from the country club, to an actual hockey team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I mean, get some skates on his walker I am sure Orr could still be 'a decent player' too. There is no way you can call him a decent player without qualifying it with the fact that #1 he's overpaid for what he actually brings and #2 he has some pretty severe medical problems that will hamper him going forward.
Yeah he's overpaid, which is why a trade like this would make sense if we needed to clear up some cap space for other uses. But right now it would just be a waste of a 3rd round pick.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I think we should move a D man, but I doubt it will be be a roster D coming back. We have like 9 on the roster?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
What's Schenn's contract like? If it expires at the end of the year, I'd absolutely pull the trigger on a trade like this. I have no idea why Arizona would do this though.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What's Schenn's contract like? If it expires at the end of the year, I'd absolutely pull the trigger on a trade like this. I have no idea why Arizona would do this though.

Not much incentive for them. They take on 3 years of dead weight on their blueline for a 3rd round pick. The Coyotes moved on from their lifer Doan, so it's not like they are dying to add salary. If they were, they'd have given him another deal.

Also, all of this assumes Holland would disrupt the locker room by moving Ericsson, and bundling him with a draft pick, to begin with. There's been zero indication that's on the table.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Arizona is also projecting to have five left hand shots on their top six Dmen, with Schenn as the lone rightie.

Schenn actually looked fine on 3rd pairing last season. He'll never live up to his lofty draft status, but played well enough that there's no urgency for the team to get rid of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00