TBN: Trade window closed at the moment with Miller, Vanek

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I did provide them in a previous thread and you threw up your hands and said you quit.

That one time I quit was because of your tone, not your content. I recall most of the content being insulting my narrow-mindedness, though.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Avalanche, Panthers, Blue Jackets, Lightning, Islanders?

I agree that there are no easy wins for this team, but it's because of this team, not who we're playing.

How fast and many times can you say ducks, sharks, kings, ducks, kings..........?
All in a 10 day period. On the road and here. East - West Coast Shuttle. Wow

I'd say that home/road trip will tell us if we've got a team made of men or a team full of boys.

And will probably send TV and RM a strong signal whether they should stay or they should go.....

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
People need to understand that goaltenders walk at the end of the season for no return all of the time. Far more goaltenders retire or sign with a new team at the end of the season than goaltenders that are traded at the deadline and "it's not even close".

All season people are going to say "Miller will be traded to a good team with mediocre goaltending". Crawford was going to be replaced with a better goaltender. Niemi was going to be replaced with a better goaltender. Chris Pronger was able to carry Michael ****ing Leighton to the Cup Finals. Very few GMs out there are thinking "Hey I need to give up some assets for a goaltender at the trade deadline to make internet hockey pundits happy."

Now if the Sabres start off 0-20 and Marc-Andre Fleury is shooting pucks into his own net and holding Sidney Crosby's Mom hostage somewhere in Quebec then a trade opportunity will open up. But if for some reason that doesn't happen the most probable scenario is at the deadline in a Craig Anderson type deal where a team is interested in Miller as a free agent and wants to see how he meshes in the locker room a few months early. And even then do you think Miller wants to go to a new city for just so his former team can snag a 3rd round pick?

Vanek will be gone by the deadline or he will re-sign. There's just no cause for concern on that front. Anyone who thinks that he will walk away for nothing needs a better thought process.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
People need to understand that goaltenders walk at the end of the season for no return all of the time. Far more goaltenders retire or sign with a new team at the end of the season than goaltenders that are traded at the deadline and "it's not even close".

All season people are going to say "Miller will be traded to a good team with mediocre goaltending". Crawford was going to be replaced with a better goaltender. Niemi was going to be replaced with a better goaltender. Chris Pronger was able to carry Michael ****ing Leighton to the Cup Finals. Very few GMs out there are thinking "Hey I need to give up some assets for a goaltender at the trade deadline to make internet hockey pundits happy."

Now if the Sabres start off 0-20 and Marc-Andre Fleury is shooting pucks into his own net and holding Sidney Crosby's Mom hostage somewhere in Quebec then a trade opportunity will open up. But if for some reason that doesn't happen the most probable scenario is at the deadline in a Craig Anderson type deal where a team is interested in Miller as a free agent and wants to see how he meshes in the locker room a few months early. And even then do you think Miller wants to go to a new city for just so his former team can snag a 3rd round pick?

Vanek will be gone by the deadline or he will re-sign. There's just no cause for concern on that front. Anyone who thinks that he will walk away for nothing needs a better thought process.

this had me dying at work. :laugh: You're gonna burst a few bubbles and ruin some peoples days.

It seems that the goaltenders that are actually moved at the deadline happen to be young goaltenders that management thinks has untapped potential (e.g. Bobrovsky to Columbus).

Speaking personally: miller's skill level and all he has been through with the team makes the idea of him leaving permanently a bitter pill. Even if goaltenders typically walk for nothing doesn't mean fans want to see it happen that way.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I completely agree

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Darcy says nothing happening in trades right now ?

Apparently he doesn't read HFBOARDS Rumor section :sarcasm:

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005

Jim-Mora-playoffs.jpeg

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/11/report-sabres-willing-to-retain-part-of-vaneks-salary-in-trade/related/

Seems to indicate a bit otherwise. Would love to have him come to Columbus. Having him, Gaborik & Horton would definitely help a previously moribund offense.

Question is what does it take to get him?. I'd guess at the beginning of the season a bit more than at the deadline.

I'm not really familiar with what Buffalo needs or what Columbus would be willing to give up.

Off the top of my head Foligno and a defenseman plus maybe a pick and Buffalo eats 3-4 mill. Don't want to be ridiculous here, but if he is walking next year Buffalo is probably going to have to take less than if he had 3 yrs remaining.

Thoughts?

I'd love Jenner, but I doubt you guys move him for a rental. Rychel and your 1st would interest me more than a package around Foligno. Gives the sabres a winger prospect who plays a power forward game and has top 6 potential and another asset for the rebuild with the 1st rounder. I definetely prefer it to the Jensen and 1st package nucks fans keep proposing.
As far as Vanek and Miller are concerned I think both are as good as gone barring some miraculous run this year. I think both are truthful when they say they want to see how they fit into this rebuild, but I think they'll both see this team is a few years away from competing and opt to play elsewhere.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

:handclap:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Here I figured he was keeping a blank slate to more easily facilitate a trade

My theory was that he got a Vaughn set in all white to wear during the offseason when things were more up in the air and he got this set for the start of the season now that it looks like he's here for a while.

It will be interesting to see how the transition from Reebok back to Vaughn goes for him. Although, his Reebok stuff was like this Vaughn set: quite custom and not too much like the retail version of his gear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad