Proposal: Trade Vatanen Proposal from DRW Board (updated poll)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So I have been making a series of post's on the Red Wings boards of what our team should do with our UFA's; RFA's etc. Basically performing a full analysis through votes of who we should sign, and which players we would be willing to trade etc etc.

I put this poll on the Red Wings Page. I know this proposal has been suggested before so you will be familiar with it. I was actually curious if the majority of Ana fans would be on board though

Trade of

Tomas Tatar (1 more year at 2.75M, then RFA) <---> Sami Vatanen (RFA)

I will record this as part of our theoretical GMing only if both fan bases actually vote for it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No reason for the Ducks to make that move. Vats is damn near out producing Tatar from the blue line Although it's better than a Nyqvist proposal

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Not sure if trading away a 2nd is a good idea for our team right now, considering we might be entering a rebuild:

Would Tatar + Helm (negotiating rights, he goes UFA this summer) <--> Vatanen OR

Tatar(2.75) + Smith(2.75) <---> Vatanen

work?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Not sure if trading away a 2nd is a good idea for our team right now, considering we might be entering a rebuild:

Would Tatar + Helm (negotiating rights, he goes UFA this summer) <--> Vatanen OR

Tatar(2.75) + Smith(2.75) <---> Vatanen

work?

Neither of those would work. The whole idea with trading Vatanen would be that he's too expensive to keep and either of those deals would add salary. Tatar + Pulkkinen would work and some Detroit fans agreed on the trade boards.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I don't do it 1 for 1, Detroit adds I think. Maybe I'm just not as high on Tatar as others, but I think Vatanen is definitely more valuable.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Neither of those would work. The whole idea with trading Vatanen would be that he's too expensive to keep and either of those deals would add salary. Tatar + Pulkkinen would work and some Detroit fans agreed on the trade boards.

I think that sways it the other way but what kind of pick could you add to even it out? 3,4?

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Another thing to consider now, is that Tatar will need to be protected if an expansion draft happens.

I don't do it. I'd rather just have futures honestly.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I think that sways it the other way but what kind of pick could you add to even it out? 3,4?

I don't think I would add that much more than a 6th/7th. I think Vats is a fair bit more valuable than Tatar and Pulks is reasonable add to make up the difference.

Another thing to consider now, is that Tatar will need to be protected if an expansion draft happens.

I don't do it. I'd rather just have futures honestly.

Protecting Tatar wouldn't be a problem. Tatar/Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler/Rakell/Ritchie/______ is 7 forwards.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I don't think I would add that much more than a 6th/7th. I think Vats is a fair bit more valuable than Tatar and Pulks is reasonable add to make up the difference.

Protecting Tatar wouldn't be a problem. Tatar/Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler/Rakell/Ritchie/______ is 7 forwards.

It is if you want to protect more than 3 defensemen

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Aside from the value piece (I personally think Vatanen holds significantly more value), am I the only one who has questions about how Tatar would fit in? He doesn't really seem to be the type of player that fits with the Ducks game and I'd hate to have another Hagelin thing (ie good player in a vacuum but just never meshes with rest of team in playstyle)

mytduxfan*

I'd be ok with this deal, but I still prefer getting Drouin + a pick. It does a better job of solving our salary cap issues and gives us an excellent talent moving forward. I'm also concerned about how much of Tatar's success is a product of the DET system/Babcock.

Aside from the value piece (I personally think Vatanen holds significantly more value), am I the only one who has questions about how Tatar would fit in? He doesn't really seem to be the type of player that fits with the Ducks game and I'd hate to have another Hagelin thing (ie good player in a vacuum but just never meshes with rest of team in playstyle)

Agreed. Fit would also be a concern of mine.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Hagelin can't touch Tatar jock strap skill wise. Bad comparison

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
Think Tatar would fit great with Kesler and Silf, he's solid defensively, and would be a huge improvement over Cogliano offensively.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I wasn't trying to compare the skill level of Tatar and Hagelin so much as using Hags as example of a good player but stylistically being a bad fit. Yes, Tatar has a ton of skill, however hes more of a sniper type. Not only does he have almost no forecheck to speak of, he almost seems to actively avoid contact at all. I don't know that that would fit in the system when you have a forward that doesnt check or want to chase a puck into the corners.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I wasn't trying to compare the skill level of Tatar and Hagelin so much as using Hags as example of a good player but stylistically being a bad fit. Yes, Tatar has a ton of skill, however hes more of a sniper type. Not only does he have almost no forecheck to speak of, he almost seems to actively avoid contact at all. I don't know that that would fit in the system when you have a forward that doesnt check or want to chase a puck into the corners.

Sounds like Silfverberg with skill

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think our board was ok with the addition of Pulks for this:

Tatar + Pulkkinen <---> Vatanen + 5th (some people said 4th, some said 6th, i averaged it out)

Should i open a new thread with a poll? (Partly Im just playing a fun Armchair GM game, but a trade i need the poll to approve)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Trade Vatanen Proposal from DRW Board 2 (Updated)

Had some discussion in other thread. Came up with a 2nd option:

Tatar + Pulkkinen <---> Vatanen + 5th

Also Mod for ANA board can close the first thread plz and thanks

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
Voted yes. Pretty fair IMO. Also why is Pulks struggling to put shots on net? Wrong role on team? Less than two per game seems low for a player known most for his shot.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
To be honest I think its going to be a big mistake to trade Pulkkinen. He killed the AHL last year. He is having a lot of trouble staying in our lineup just because we have so many players fighting to make the team. Larkin and Athanasiou are very fast, and blashill likes that. Pulkkinen skates fine, but not like those 2. Also Jurco is vying for the playing time as well.
Pulkkinen has a cannon of a slap shot, but its his first year, I think he still has to learn to make a stutter step or a little move before he fires his shot, because a lot of them are getting blocked. I think he is not getting a good opportunity yet.. but he could be amazing if he learns a few tricks to help convert his AHL talent to NHL.

Edit. Pulkkinen is also smaller than AA and Jurco. So hes not a huge forechecker for hitting, but he skates hard and uses his stick well with forechecking. On Detroit this can be a problem as we have NO ONE who hits except Abdelkader. I expect he will blend in much better with a team without ALL small forwards LOL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad