Trade Value of Josh Gorges?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well first off, comparing guys traded at the deadline who are going UFA to a guy under contract for some years on an okay contract isn't a fair comparison. This deadline, maybe because of the lower cap this year, also had a crash in prices compared to other years ( Murray went for two seconds last year, last year you would not have gotten Vanek at anywhere this price. )

Gorges is good at what he does and is. He isn't a PMD, he isn't a shooter, he is an average sized defensive defenceman who plays an honest game and will sacrifice his body for the team. He is a good 4 on a good defence.

However, we have PK as our No.1 and while Markov still has a lot of good about him, he has slowed down and does not provide solid two way play. Emelin is part of our top 4 and has , perhaps not surprisingly given his injury, not had a good year. But so far at Emelins best he is a defensive player who gaffs occasionally but has a talent, he hits like a buffalo and hits a lot.

To be a contender, I think we need an upgrade on the top 4, Gorges or Emelin. We need a good sized two way guy who can eat good minutes ( will take pressure off Markov ). For me, Emelin on his game or Gorges on his, I take Emelin because of the effect his hits have, flattens the opponent and likely kills the play, or prevents a play from his intimidation factor ( try to tell me opponents don't watch out for him ).

In terms of value, you need to package him up for a team looking for a guy like that and hopefully get a good player back. In my dream world you send him and a good prospect close or verging on the NHL and a pick and get a guy like Edler back . Is a downgrade for the Canucks, but if they are in rebuild they still need d-men to play, but also young quality guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad