Trade Value of Josh Gorges?

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
hello all!

after reading through some of the threads here, it seems as though opinion on him is split. some like him, some don't. even with some of the negative comments, can montreal really move him? if they did move him, what type of return would the team want?

thanks!

Cdizzle

Mar 11, 2008
Toronto
He's good at what he does. One of the best shot blockers in the league and is quite good on the PK. Judging from the deadline deals though, I'd say his value is, at the very highest a second rounder.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
He's good at what he does. One of the best shot blockers in the league and is quite good on the PK. Judging from the deadline deals though, I'd say his value is, at the very highest a second rounder.

Ummm what?! A second? It is higher then that...

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Ppl are down on Gorges, but I think in he was put on the market his trade value would be pretty high, he showed in the 2010 playoffs just how effective and he is.

IMO he is a number 4 dmen, that is used in a top 2 role because we don't have anyone else. Hopeful Tinordi and Subban play well together this year, because I would love a Markov-Emelin, Tinordi-Subban, Gorges-Beaulieu pairing next year.

Btw I think their are more chances that Gorges is given the C than being traded by Bergevin.

With how much Bergevin talks about character, doubtful Gorges is traded, specailly since he was the only vet to step up and take Gallagher into his home, who still lives with him.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
This thread is 1 week late.

Gorges has the same value as Craig Rivet back then.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Gorges is a fine player on his own. I just don't like Gorges considering the makeup of our team. We have two PMDs which aren't the biggest guys around in Markov/Subban. They aren't midgets but they're not huge. You add Gorges to your top 4 and suddenly you're pretty small down low with your minute eaters. It's always been my main beef with Gorges that you have a small not really physical guy in your minute eaters. If we had a Pronger it wouldn't be as big of a deal but our best guys aren't big or overly physical.

I also think Gorges has been having mental lapses the past 2 seasons, which he can't afford considering everything he DOESN'T bring.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Gorges is a fine player on his own. I just don't like Gorges considering the makeup of our team. We have two PMDs which aren't the biggest guys around in Markov/Subban. They aren't midgets but they're not huge. You add Gorges to your top 4 and suddenly you're pretty small down low with your minute eaters. It's always been my main beef with Gorges that you have a small not really physical guy in your minute eaters. If we had a Pronger it wouldn't be as big of a deal but our best guys aren't big or overly physical.

I also think Gorges has been having mental lapses, which he can't afford considering everything he DOESN'T bring.

I agree, that is why I said a few post above that I'd love to kinda have a mix of size and PMD, ex Tinordi with subban, and Gorges with a guy like Beaulieu.

But I remember Bergevin talking about size on the back end this summer, he really didn't care, he pointed to the Hawks and how other than Seabrook, they don't have big dmen, but he wanted dmen that can move the puck and skate.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
The problem with trade value is you have to find a fit with another team. What's the real demand for players first of all that have zero offensive creativity or ability. Then, what's the demand for blueliners that aren't hulking body movers. Gorges is an undrafted lane blocker without the physical attributes or offensive skills that are in demand. I think people would be shocked at how little he'd return in a trade.

If Montreal trade Gorges, which is doubtful, they will be doing it to relieve themselves of a top 4 salary in the face of redundancy by Pateryn/Tinordi/Beaulieu . The return will be secondary, but I'd say a single prospect with 3rd line potential or a pick outside the first round.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Really? I don't know man. Andrei Meszaroz is very serviceable and went for a 3rd, Penner/Robidas for a fourth, Schultz/Diaz for a fifth.

What do you think he would get on the market?

Meszaros - UFA, having a bad year
Robidas - UFA, 38 years old, just came back from a serious injury
Penner - ????
Schultz - UFA, terrible
Diaz - UFA, unproven

None of these players compare to Gorges.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
In the defensive zone, Gorges knows what to do. He's the guy you want out there killing a penalty or defending a lead.

On the flip side, in the offensive zone, he's hesitant. Often looks like he doesn't know what to do with the puck and dumps in the corner when he clearly has a good shot lane. This prevents Gorges from being a top 4 defenseman.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Again and again I hear that one of Gorges' main contributions is shot-blocking. Is shot blocking really a skill? You stand in front of the shooter and let the puck whack you. Murray blocks more shots than Gorges since he's been playing regularly (with less icetime), does that make Murray a skill player, does that make him worth $4m?

I would dump Gorges if I were MB, he is another of our one-trick ponies. And he's sorta small for a defenceman in today's NHL.

Cdizzle

Mar 11, 2008
Toronto
Meszaros - UFA, having a bad year
Robidas - UFA, 38 years old, just came back from a serious injury
Penner - ????
Schultz - UFA, terrible
Diaz - UFA, unproven

None of these players compare to Gorges.
Hence why he would go for more.

They're the only players who got traded for picks on the deadline...Lol who else would we compare value with

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Really? I don't know man. Andrei Meszaroz is very serviceable and went for a 3rd, Penner/Robidas for a fourth, Schultz/Diaz for a fifth.

What do you think he would get on the market?

Meszaroz was beyond brutal last season and only a bit better this season. Injuries have taken a toll on him and he's not what he was 3 season ago.

Penner was a huge mistake by the Ducks. He was worth much more than a 4th, especially at his current contract.

Robidas is old and is still injured.

Diaz wasn't established and was being shopped for a long time. It's hard to get good value for a player that everybody knows you are interested in trading. I still think he was worth more than Weise.

Schultz is only paid 300k less than Gorges despite having regressed and playing poorly since 2011-2012. This season Schultz has been playing so bad that some Oilers fans considered him among their worst performing D.

I think Gorges is already established in the league and many consider him to be a very good second pairing defenceman. Moreover, he's among the best PKers in the whole league. I would actually say that he's a bit overrated among fans of other teams, but that's never a bad thing.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Gorges has ZERO: skill, size, speed, talent, hockey IQ, shot, vision. He's your prototypical stay at home dman however he has grown old very quickly and has zero physical game ..But he'll block shots with his teeth.

What's that worth? Maybe to Garth snow that's a 1st round pick

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
The problem with trade value is you have to find a fit with another team. What's the real demand for players first of all that have zero offensive creativity or ability. Then, what's the demand for blueliners that aren't hulking body movers. Gorges is an undrafted lane blocker without the physical attributes or offensive skills that are in demand. I think people would be shocked at how little he'd return in a trade.

If Montreal trade Gorges, which is doubtful, they will be doing it to relieve themselves of a top 4 salary in the face of redundancy by Pateryn/Tinordi/Beaulieu . The return will be secondary, but I'd say a single prospect with 3rd line potential or a pick outside the first round.

i think you just described the new york islanders. they have lost 12 games this season in which they have led by 2 goals. that is truly pathetic. the nyi can score, but they can't defend or goal keep.

i have no idea if snow would offer a second round pick for a defensive d-man or not. he traded a second for visnovsky years ago, but visnovsky and gorges couldn't be any different from each other. i'm just spit balling montreal's second round pick returning to them?

Last edited:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
He's be traded for a roster forward. He still has a few years left on a reasonable $3.9m cap hit.

I'd say he's a poor man's Girardi with great leadership skills.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
there is such a wide variation in responses here with regards to gorges. i'm hearing anything from a roster player to prospects and picks to picks alone or the fact that he is not moveable at all. has there ever been any kind of media report with his name linked to a trade?

jnthomas

Aug 28, 2008
Montreal
Meszaroz was beyond brutal last season and only a bit better this season. Injuries have taken a toll on him and he's not what he was 3 season ago.

Penner was a huge mistake by the Ducks. He was worth much more than a 4th, especially at his current contract.

Robidas is old and is still injured.

Diaz wasn't established and was being shopped for a long time. It's hard to get good value for a player that everybody knows you are interested in trading. I still think he was worth more than Weise.

Schultz is only paid 300k less than Gorges despite having regressed and playing poorly since 2011-2012. This season Schultz has been playing so bad that some Oilers fans considered him among their worst performing D.

I think Gorges is already established in the league and many consider him to be a very good second pairing defenceman. Moreover, he's among the best PKers in the whole league. I would actually say that he's a bit overrated among fans of other teams, but that's never a bad thing.

The ducks traded Penner to make room for Kesler so I wouldn't consider too much the value they got back for him as they were dumping him quickly.

HABS win CUPS*

I wanted him gone early in the season but his recent play has been pretty damn amazing just wish he was more consistent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad