Rumor: Trade Thread XVIII: Brace Yourselves. Friday Is Coming.

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

What would it take to get Glencross on this team in place of Dors/Carc?

BarbaraAlphanse

Probably involves a number 1 center...Stastny's hardly an improvement over Stepan IMO.

But he's a pretty big improvement over Brassard...

Not advocating for him unless his demands fall (which they won't)... but can totally see us overpaying for him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
News, if we payed Stasny we'd still require a 1C.

I've made this point before, that's not exactly the case. It's a group effort. If their #1c is below average but their #2 and #3 are above average they have a chance of being an above average group.

Stastny would be a below average offensive 1c.

Stepan would be an above average offensive 2c.

Brassard would be an above average 3c.

They are plainly building around the a bruins mold. It's obvious. Size and speed on the wings. 2way play at center.

Stewart and Stastny actually make some sense.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We dont want to overpay Callahan (our captain and homegrown) but we want to overpay for Stastny?

Shiny new toy syndrome strikes again.

BarbaraAlphanse

We dont want to overpay Callahan (our captain and homegrown) but we want to overpay for Stastny?

It's part of the GM. Shouldn't be surprising.

BarbaraAlphanse

I've made this point before, that's not exactly the case. It's a group effort. If their #1c is below average but their #2 and #3 are above average they have a chance of being an above average group.

Stastny would be a below average offensive 1c.

Stepan would be an above average offensive 2c.

Brassard would be an above average 3c.

They are plainly building around the a bruins mold. It's obvious. Size and speed on the wings. 2way play at center.

Stewart and Stastny actually make some sense.

So... where does that put Miller then?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
But he's a pretty big improvement over Brassard...

Not advocating for him unless his demands fall (which they won't)... but can totally see us overpaying for him.

Would be worse than Gomez and Drury. Stasny became comfortable as a 55 PT player after getting that contract, the guys is going to enter active retirement after his 2nd big payday.

Notice how those 70 pt seasons stopped happening after his first year under a $6.6M a year contract?

What's going to happen after his next big payday?

He's the 3rd best center on his own team, 4th if you count on McKinnon picking things up (and yeah Nate's the real deal).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
What would it take to get Glencross on this team in place of Dors/Carc?

A lot.

The guy is much of a 4th liner, as Callahan is a 3rd liner.

A cost controlled Brandon Prust type player that score 20+ goals at a $2.5M cap hit?

He's going to cost a lot.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
A lot.

The guy is much of a 4th liner, as Callahan is a 3rd liner.

A cost controlled Brandon Prust type player that score 20+ goals at a $2.5M cap hit?

He's going to cost a lot.

Exactly. I have wanted Glencross for the last 2-3 years. He has some offensive touch and plays a game similar to Prust. Would love to have him, especially if we trade Callahan.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It's amazing how much Stepan gets **** on by these boards and then some people want to go pay Stastny 7+ million for 7 years. He's really not much of a better player and he has no potential to go anywhere, at least Stepan has been trending up.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's amazing how much Stepan gets **** on by these boards and then some people want to go pay Stastny 7+ million for 7 years. He's really not much of a better player and he has no potential to go anywhere, at least Stepan has been trending up.

Amazes me. Simply amazes me. Again...shiny new toy syndrome.

Stepan will be 24 in June. He is on pace for a 50 point season and this has been a tough year for him. Just hasn't gotten hot. If he gets hot, he could end up with 55-60. He produces when he is out on the PP. He has only 12 PIM. He has good hockey IQ. Plays a well balanced game. But yet we want to pay Stastny a boat load of money and will be turning 29 during the middle of next season. We don't need those contracts.

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT

It's only a matter of time before Cally suffers the same fate as Drury. Enough broken bones due to sacrificing himself for this team and he'll be boo'ed out of NY faster than he realizes. And what kind of message does that send to every other player on this team blocking shots and risking their career to win a few extra games?

Overpaying Cally by +$1M might not make the most sense on paper but the guy is the heart and soul of this team. He sacrafices himself for the better of this team. What kind of message does it send everyone else on the team, and anyone FA's looking to come to NY if we're ready to throw our captain to the wind over $1M? The guy deserves every penny. I don't understand how everyone can be so quick to throw him away. The second we trade him away we'll start hearing how we need more toughness and effort.

SupersonicMonkey*

Would be worse than Gomez and Drury. Stasny became comfortable as a 55 PT player after getting that contract, the guys is going to enter active retirement after his 2nd big payday.

Notice how those 70 pt seasons stopped happening after his first year under a $6.6M a year contract?

What's going to happen after his next big payday?

He's the 3rd best center on his own team, 4th if you count on McKinnon picking things up (and yeah Nate's the real deal).

Pretty sure that O'Reilly and Mackinnon have been playing in the wing a lot. With Duchene and Stastny the #1 and #2.

So to say he's their 4th center is untrue.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's only a matter of time before Cally suffers the same fate as Drury. Enough broken bones due to sacrificing himself for this team and he'll be boo'ed out of NY faster than he realizes. And what kind of message does that send to every other player on this team blocking shots and risking their career to win a few extra games?

Overpaying Cally by +$1M might not make the most sense on paper but the guy is the heart and soul of this team. He sacrafices himself for the better of this team. What kind of message does it send everyone else on the team, and anyone FA's looking to come to NY if we're ready to throw our captain to the wind over $1M? The guy deserves every penny. I don't understand how everyone can be so quick to throw him away. The second we trade him away we'll start hearing how we need more toughness and effort.

Very confused by this post. The first paragraph sounds like you understand why Callahan has to be moved. The second paragraph sounds like you are his agent.

What kind of message does it send to FAs? No message at all. This is NY and the rangers will always have the money to spend if they see a free agent they desire. However, they will not have the money if they clearly overpay for players who are not worth the cap hit, homegrown or not. Callahan is not worth what he is asking. Letting emotions cloud the vision and outlook of an organization would be a mistake. He does not deserve every penny, at least not from us. Showing restraint would be a breath of fresh air here. In fact a move like this would show perspective free agents that they can't expect the rangers to just bend over every time when they let their own homegrown captain go because the asking price was egregious.

SupersonicMonkey*

Amazes me. Simply amazes me. Again...shiny new toy syndrome.

Stepan will be 24 in June. He is on pace for a 50 point season and this has been a tough year for him. Just hasn't gotten hot. If he gets hot, he could end up with 55-60. He produces when he is out on the PP. He has only 12 PIM. He has good hockey IQ. Plays a well balanced game. But yet we want to pay Stastny a boat load of money and will be turning 29 during the middle of next season. We don't need those contracts.

The need for a top six center doesn't mean shiny new toy. You mentioned this with Callahan, as well. #1C is more of a pressing need than 3rd line W.

No one suggested replacing Stepan with Stastny. Rather, adding Stastny and having Stepan and Stastny as the #1 and #2 centers with Brassard as the #3.

I'm not sold on Stastny with a big contract. But thats the idea.

I'd like to see what Miller's got playing with top six wingers. Or trading for a young center. Don't know that those are realistic options, though.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Regarding my idea to sign Stastny, while trading away Brassard (as well as Callahan, and dumping Brad to make sure it works under the cap).

It may seem like moving pieces just for the sake of moving them, but it's really not. Someone like Brassard could probably get us an A-level prospect like Miller plus a B-level prospect like Hrivik. Not necessary that style, but that quality. A team going for the Cup that looks to shore up their third line while improving their scoring would do that.

The higher prospect doesn't necessarily need to be a center either, could be a LW who would replace Hagelin when he'll be ready to hit the UFA. Alternatively, a team like Edmonton may not have the sex appeal to attract Stastny and their management wants to leave the NHL's gutter by next season or else they will all lose their jobs.

Having a quality replacement for Hagelin or Staal in a few years would allow us to trade him away for some more prospects to rebuild the system on the fly without having to sink to the bottom first.

Stastny would be an improvement over Brassard, plus adding an A and a B level prospect would make our farm much stronger for the future, as would trading Callahan and replacing him with Jesper Fast.

It's just good asset management.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would much prefer a Legwand signing over a Stastny acquisition. He's no gamebreaker but he could be a cheap servicable 2/3 line center as a stopgap to let Miller/Stepan develop more.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Regarding my idea to sign Stastny, while trading away Brassard (as well as Callahan, and dumping Brad to make sure it works under the cap).

It may seem like moving pieces just for the sake of moving them, but it's really not. Someone like Brassard could probably get us an A-level prospect like Miller plus a B-level prospect like Hrivik. Not necessary that style, but that quality. A team going for the Cup that looks to shore up their third line while improving their scoring would do that.

The higher prospect doesn't necessarily need to be a center either, could be a LW who would replace Hagelin when he'll be ready to hit the UFA. Alternatively, a team like Edmonton may not have the sex appeal to attract Stastny and their management wants to leave the NHL's gutter by next season or else they will all lose their jobs.

Having a quality replacement for Hagelin or Staal in a few years would allow us to trade him away for some more prospects to rebuild the system on the fly without having to sink to the bottom first.

Stastny would be an improvement over Brassard, plus adding an A and a B level prospect would make our farm much stronger for the future, as would trading Callahan and replacing him with Jesper Fast.

It's just good asset management.

If the player wasn't Stasny, I'd agree with you 100%. I think very little of Brassard. I don't see him as a a piece of a cup winning team, and I feel the same way about Stasny.

Paul Stasny: 7 years in the NHL. 15 playoff games.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Pretty sure that O'Reilly and Mackinnon have been playing in the wing a lot. With Duchene and Stastny the #1 and #2.

So to say he's their 4th center is untrue.

ROR is playing wing this year true, and McK is getting 3rd line matchups, not disagreeing.

But Duchene, O'Reilly and McKinnon are all outscoring Stasny. McK with 2 less mins a game.

I stand by my statement.

Patrick Marleau was a hell of a center, but he plays wing on a team with Pavelski, Thornton and Couture. Only so many top 6 mins to go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad