Rumor: Trade Thread XVII: Callahan's Reckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There needs to be a resolution. I am amazed that all of these rumors aren't effecting the team at this point. Make the deal(s) before the break. If they return NHL players it allows for them to come in and get settled over the break and have quite a bit of practice time with the team. AV gets to know the players.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
There needs to be a resolution. I am amazed that all of these rumors aren't effecting the team at this point. Make the deal(s) before the break. If they return NHL players it allows for them to come in and get settled over the break and have quite a bit of practice time with the team. AV gets to know the players.

I would love a resolution as well, but we read multiple quotes a few pages back about how Slats' M.O. is to grind. It has served him well over the years (likely because the GM on the other side gets itchy the way we are now).

So, unless a team says "**** it, I'm making my move" and comes in to preempt the rest of the league, it may well go down to the deadline for both Girardi and Callahan. Cally might go before the Olympics due to the injury risk, but - again, much as I'd like to see a resolution ASAP - I wouldn't count on it.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Thank you BRF. Didnt want to sift through pages of arguing about callahans worth.
This about sums up the latest news from McKenzie and LeBrun from hockey night live...http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2...di/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

If Callahan goes before sather's deadline this Friday its 100% for less than he would get at the deadline, but the injury factor scares the **** out of me. Look at the standings there are 5 teams in the east that are less than 4 points of of a playoff spot, there are 4 such teams in the west. Teams aren't desperate now, they will be if teams on the cusp falter when they return from the break.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I would take Stewart every day over a McGinn/Barrie package. Not wild on either but it's probably a realistic idea.

Same. I don't get the fascination with McGinn., coming from someone who was pretty high on him a season or two ago. Stewart, despite his flaws, is a significantly better and more productive player than McGinn. He's also a right handed shooter (and someone who can actually SHOOT the puck), which helps.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
This about sums up the latest news from McKenzie and LeBrun from hockey night live...http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2...di/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Most interesting part of the article, IMO:

Pierre LeBrun said on TSN 1050′s Game Night with Mike Hogan, that he spoke with a member of the Rangers last night who said that this is the best the Rangers have played in the past few years but that he knows that everything surrounding the team right now is part of the business side of things.

LeBrun said, “I talked to one player on the Rangers who said that he just couldn’t believe, this was the best he remembers this team playing in a couple of years and that it’s really too bad that this is all happening but he understands that it’s a business.â€

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Same. I don't get the fascination with McGinn., coming from someone who was pretty high on him a season or two ago. Stewart, despite his flaws, is a significantly better and more productive player than McGinn. He's also a right handed shooter (and someone who can actually SHOOT the puck), which helps.

I worry slightly about how he will fit. For the most part, every forward on the team is a good or decent 2 way player with speed. McGinn fits that a bit better.

I wouldn't be that upset with Stewart either, but it depends on what else is coming.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I'd probably lean towards McGinn.

I would definitely say, he is best suited to filling Callahan's shoes right now in terms of replacing exactly what Cally is bringing on the ice. Effort, winning loose puck battles, sustaining a forecheck. He would better fill that specific role than Stewart, for sure.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would definitely say, he is best suited to filling Callahan's shoes right now in terms of replacing exactly what Cally is bringing on the ice. Effort, winning loose puck battles, sustaining a forecheck. He would better fill that specific role than Stewart, for sure.

Exactly. However an argument could be made that they need a more offensive player like Stewart more.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Most interesting part of the article, IMO:

this is why I think Sather wont pull the trigger yet. Can they not just negotiate during the Olympics? I cant see them breaking up a good thing. The team really is looking good

the ups and downs on this board are hilarious. They seem to have figured out AV's system and have set lines. The Klein deal balanced the D, The Carcillo deal gave them some added toughness. They have pulled the right triggers so far. I hope they can sign Cally and Girardi to reasonable deals

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Where did the McGinn/Barrie thing come from?

Because Barrie and MacKinnon were who impressed me the most last night.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
this is why I think Sather wont pull the trigger yet. Can they not just negotiate during the Olympics? I cant see them breaking up a good thing. The team really is looking good

the ups and downs on this board are hilarious. They seem to have figured out AV's system and have set lines. The Klein deal balanced the D, The Carcillo deal gave them some added toughness. They have pulled the right triggers so far. I hope they can sign Cally and Girardi to reasonable deals

What are they going to negotiate? Callahan will not be on this team next season unless he quits the money grab ******** and does us a favor like Brown did for LA, and that negotiation isn't going to take place over the olympic break, its not going to take place after the deadline if for some reason we keep him and its not going to happen in June before July 1, if that part of the article showed anything its that players realize its a business, understand theres a cap and this team doesn't have the luxury of overpaying Callahan, and it shows that this team wont be shocked when their captain is moved.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I'd be content with giving Cally perhaps 6 years for about 5.5 mil. He wants 7 yrs/42 mil, correct? Well, we'd give him one less year and 500k less. I'd even bump it up to 5.7-5.8 mil if that's what it took.

BarbaraAlphanse

I am not sure I agree with this. Would you care to elaborate please?

I think these are just the most common names connected which is why they keep popping up. I think I can sell myself on Chris Stewart just because I think the Rangers may actually be buying low on him, I have seen him live, (and been impressed) a couple times when he was in Colorado so I might be a little biased, but I think Stewart would be better if he got out of STL. Also I think his "skill set" could be useful against guys like Lucic that have tormented the Rangers.

But also what I am trying to say is if you feel those players don't fill needs on the Rangers, who would you think is realistically available that would fill said needs.

Chris Stewart RW.
Jamie McGinn LW.
Tyson Barrie RD.

We have Fast and Kristo for RW in the minors. Zucc, Nash, and Carcillo/Dorsett already on the roster.

We have Boyle, Kreider, Brassard, Hagelin on the LW. Miller and Lindberg may also take a LW spot if they don't fit in C. Buchnevich likely after next year.

We have Girardi, Stralman, Klein, Allen, and McIlrath that can all play RD.

We have replacements for all positions already on hand. Tell me how that is a good use of assets?

Everyone loves to complain what a poor job of asset management this F.O does. How does trading for positions we already have covered benefit us for the future?

Need to trade for a 2c, or someone that can develop into that...

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Recent reports are that he wants closer to 7 years at $6.85MM per.

7 years and almost 7 mil per??

Jesus, if that's the case, then goodbye Cally. Can't believe he's willing to price himself out of New York and ruin a potentially ruin a good thing that's going on right now.

Would a team even be stupid enough to give him that kind of deal?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Micheletti calling he Pens/Sabers game. Micheletti really talking up Ott. Almost too much.

Anyone know if Rangers have any scouts at this one?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
7 years and almost 7 mil per??

Jesus, if that's the case, then goodbye Cally. Can't believe he's willing to price himself out of New York and ruin a potentially ruin a good thing that's going on right now.

Would a team even be stupid enough to give him that kind of deal?

What's stupid about it? A team will give it to him. Easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad