Rumor: Trade Thread XVII: Callahan's Reckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
And Callahan isn't worth 7

And Clowe and Clarkson aren't worth whatever the **** they got

Won't stop some stupid gm from offering him that

GMs will overpay for good players that fit a need. Clarkson and Clowe have a certain amount of intangibles and got what they got because a team had the cap space and thought they would be the players they were in the past. They are not and now these teams are stuck.

No matter how desperate a team is and no matter how much cap space they have, no one is paying Pouliot 4 million when he hasn't done a single thing to warrant that much money ever in his career.

Clarkson and Clowe are overpaid. It happens. But Poo isn't doing a single thing to make GMs lick their chops and throw that kind of money at him.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
GMs will overpay for good players that fit a need. Clarkson and Clowe have a certain amount of intangibles and got what they got because a team had the cap space and thought they would be the players they were in the past. They are not and now these teams are stuck.

No matter how desperate a team is and no matter how much cap space they have, no one is paying Pouliot 4 million when he hasn't done a single thing to warrant that much money ever in his career.

Clarkson and Clowe are overpaid. It happens. But Poo isn't doing a single thing to make GMs lick their chops and throw that kind of money at him.

To further support your point, PA Parenteau had to have a couple of productive seasons (53 then 67 points) with the islanders before he landed himself a decent contract with the Avs. Pouliot hasn't even come close to the consistency or production that PA did.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
And Callahan isn't worth 7

And Clowe and Clarkson aren't worth whatever the **** they got

Won't stop some stupid gm from offering him that

Pouliot has never put up the numbers Clowe and Callahan have. He also hasn't had the golden season that Clarkson did to earn him that kind of payday.

BarbaraAlphanse

This is not correct. For the 1 millionth time, it is top 10 protected.

For 1 year? Correct? I.e. they have the option of giving it up next year if it falls in that category.

And if they falter next year and land with a worse draft pick? Then it is unconditional. That's not protection, that's deferring risk.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
For 1 year? Correct? I.e. they have the option of giving it up next year if it falls in that category.

And if they falter next year and land with a worse draft pick? Then it is unconditional. That's not protection, that's deferring risk.

No. The phrase unconditional means there are no conditions attached to it. An option to defer is a condition. Im not going to debate semantics with you any further but it is what it is.

BarbaraAlphanse

No. The phrase unconditional means there are no conditions attached to it. An option to defer is a condition. Im not going to debate semantics with you any further but it is what it is.

Technically, you are right and I am wrong.

But if they defer, and they get a worse pick next year... it wasn't so protected was it?

That's my point... and still an amazing deal for the Sabres.

Clausewitz

Dec 20, 2013
I'd love to keep Callahan, but $6.5MM p.a. for him is ridiculous, irrespective of the contract length. Heck, that's how much Patrick Kane, Jon Toews and Nicklas Backstrom will each make next year.

Source: player pages on capgeek.com

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Technically, you are right and I am wrong.

But if they defer, and they get a worse pick next year... it wasn't so protected was it?

That's my point... and still an amazing deal for the Sabres.

I absolutely agree. I don't know what snow was thinking. Even last year without Vanek they were top 10 in the NHL in offense. Forget the fact that they have a horrid defense outside of Hamonic and MacDonald, not to mention Nabokov is getting up there in age, Poulin is an absolute putrid goaltender and you wonder why he chose to get more offense.

If he makes a play for Miller instead of Vanek, when Nabakov goes down they don't have a terrible back up and may still be in the race.

BarbaraAlphanse

I absolutely agree. I don't know what snow was thinking. Even last year without Vanek they were top 10 in the NHL in offense. Forget the fact that they have a horrid defense outside of Hamonic and MacDonald, not to mention Nabokov is getting up there in age, Poulin is an absolute putrid goaltender and you wonder why he chose to get more offense.

If he makes a play for Miller instead of Vanek, when Nabakov goes down they don't have a terrible back up and may still be in the race.

I thought I read somewhere that Miller was in play but he informed Buffalo F.O he wouldn't move his NTC to go to the Island.

Either way, those assets should have been used on defense. Snow faltered.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pouliot was a UFA last year and got a $1.3 mil 1 year contract. Clarkson and Clowe had teams willing to pay them a lot more. Pouliot is something of an enigma--either hot or cold but not with a lot of intangibles. He's not all that physical--he's not a pk'er, he's not really a leader. He's not going to land a $4 mil per year contract. This season has not been some major improvement over what he's done in the past.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Clearly folks have not read back to the last couple of pages of the previous thread.

Dreger specifically said on Insider Trading this evening that "the Stewart trade is still out there" and "it's not just Stewart."

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
I hope the FO looks into trading for Burmistrov. Potential break out player who I think can be had below his market value.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Jordan Staal got the Penguins a coup (given he extended with the Hurricanes too). His production levels are WORSE than Callahan.

Staal isn't a good comparable IMO. He and Cally are on different ends of the spectrum. Staal was younger and it was thought that he would get more points with first line minutes (out from the shadow of Crosby and Malkin). Not only is Cally older, but he's been getting first line minutes for years. What we see is what he is. I honestly think half of Staal's trade value came from perceived upside.

I have no idea what Cally will be worth. On the one hand, he's a great player, but on the other, if he were worth what he is demanding, we wouldn't be looking to trade him. That limits the trade market to teams that have the cap space to burn (ie- teams that will have trouble making the cap floor). Those kinds of teams are generally bad, with a lot of youth. The problem is that they likely would want Callahan to be a mentor/leader to those kids, so they aren't likely to want to give up either top picks or top prospects in return. That's why we keep hearing names like Stewart (not that I like it one bit). The teams that would be most interested in Cally are least interested in giving up what we would want in return.

Frankly, the best case scenario at this point might be to trade Cally to a contender as a rental, and get a 1st and a B prospect in return.

rvdnsx

Jun 30, 2003
How about a sign and trade type of deal centered around Callahan and Evander Kane from Winnipeg?

Callahan (signs a 7 Year deal)

for

Evander Kane

Add in a draft pick to make the values even out.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Meaning it would be Stewart+ or other offers are out there?

The implication of the comment was that St. Louis has a standing offer on the table that is Stewart + for Cally. He then went on to say that Sather is doing his diligence to try and get the best offer possible - and that, although he'd like to get it done by Friday, the process may extend beyond the freeze.

(I'm paraphrasing.)

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This situation is dissapointing.

I never thought it would come to this. I'm disappointed and sad too.

How about a sign and trade type of deal centered around Callahan and Evander Kane from Winnipeg?

for

Evander Kane

I would, but I don't think Winnipeg would without a significant plus from our side (Kreider or Miller).

SupersonicMonkey*

Would much rather have Kane than Stewart. Don't know why the Jets would make that deal, though. Not the biggest fan of Kane or Stewart.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Pouliot has size, speed and skill - he just doesn't have anything else. I like him a lot, he's the kind of underachiever I find it easy to root for, but this season hasn't done anything to up his value on the market. I hate writing guys into "first line," "third line tweener" or whatever roles because that's so dependent on coaches and systems but he was a role player. He still is.

I'd like to see us keep him - if we don't think Kristo or whoever can do more on a scoring line than Benoit Pouliot, they're not ready, whatever. He's such a confidence player that I think he can surprise people playing high-volume minutes next to an elite center, but the kind of situation that created Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau and made two guys' careers doesn't pop up too often. Maybe he'd do well for Edmonton.

I'd also like to see us keep Moore and Boyle, really. There might be someone who (probably erroneously) sees a ton of value in either one but in their role here they're both great. AV trusts them implicitly, a sturdy defense-first fourth line that doesn't take penalties allows us to roll three scoring lines, and we'll need penalty killers without Callahan.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

for

Evander Kane

That would require Callahan to agree to go to Winnipeg for 7 (or 8 with the benefit of the existing team doing the re-signing) years.

So, not only does it require Winnipeg to be willing to trade for him now (when they can bid on him for free in the offseason), it also requires Cally to want to sign a long-term deal with Winnipeg.

Neither seem likely - but, hey, I'd totally be down for it, if I'm wrong. :)

BarbaraAlphanse

for

Evander Kane

What makes it unlikely is the chance that Cally resigns there for 7 years and that they're not desperate enough to overpay to the point that we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad