Proposal: Trade Target: Rasmus Kupari

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Agreed that we aren't good trade partners with the Kings, unless it is a hockey trade where we trade spare parts for spare parts. But I will say that Mantha is not going to bring back a 1C in a trade. He's a very good RW (when he's motivated), but he's not a good enough player to pry an actual, NHL-caliber 1C from anybody. And that's ignoring any consistency issues he has. It's out of the question.

I don't disagree with any of that, which is why I said Mantha plus and expanded it to a top 2 D-man. Our biggest needs are a 1C and a top 2 D-man. Mantha would have to be the centerpiece for any of those deals but I agree that he alone doesn't get it done unless it is a young D-man prospect that our scouts really like.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The problem is the same with our top-6 center situation. We have a bunch of middle-6/3rd-line center types in the prospect pipeline. We need more clear-cut top-6 center prospects. Kupari is not that. If we want to pursue skilled centers, we should be thinking bigger. The flip side of that of course is that teams are normally very reluctant to trade top-6 centers/prospects.

Yeah, he could be. So could Veleno.
So maybe you still don't have your true #1.
But if Veleno/Kupari turn out to have 2C upside and you're running 3 2Cs as your top 3Cs, that's good too.

People are too quickly writing off Kupari as a 3C, too.
He's not an Aho level guy. But his D+1 level stats look pretty good in Finland. Took him a year to get adjusted to NA, but e leads all 2018 Draft eligibles in points in the AHL this year outside of some Stars prospect having an incredible season.

Watching two games in LA, the kid can skate and win faceoffs. He's still a big weak on his feet and along the boards.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
But if Veleno/Kupari turn out to have 2C upside and you're running 3 2Cs as your top 3Cs, that's good too.

He's not an Aho level guy. But his D+1 level stats look pretty good in Finland. Took him a year to get adjusted to NA, but e leads all 2018 Draft eligibles in points in the AHL this year outside of some Stars prospect having an incredible season.

Watching two games in LA, the kid can skate and win faceoffs. He's still a big weak on his feet and along the boards.
There is no doubt he would improve our roster - smallest of hurdles there - but the question is what would it cost? My guess is LA would want an established D-man. They aren't taking DeKeyser so they probably ask for Hronek. I don't think we do that deal. Maybe they add in a sweetener but that complicates the deal further. Most deals die when it comes to trying to provide adequate value to both sides. I feel confident we can draft 2C and 3C guys without too much trouble. I don't have any confidence that Kupari will suddenly become a very good 2C or a low level 1C.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

I haven't seen enough of him to say definitively I think he's a 3rd-line center. That's what he looks like to me right now. But even if he still has 2nd-line center upside, it at least seems pretty questionable he'll get there at this point. He's just not sure-fire enough for me to be interested enough to go out of our way to acquire him I guess.

If, based on a combination of ceiling and proximity, Kupari is a better center prospect than all of Veleno, Niederbach, and Rasmussen, then ok, I'm interested. I've not been convinced of that though, and I'm weary of a grass-is-greener situation, given how bad this team is.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I was kind of targeting Boston. They have some good young center prospects and they want a scorer and defense. I know Hronek isn't a popular name to throw out in the trade but, with the amount of defensive prospects we have and will most likely get again in this draft, why not try to find a center with the depth? Sometimes, you have to give up something good to get something maybe better for your needs and down the road. So here is my proposal:

Boston gets:
Filip Hronek
Bobby Ryan
2021 4th rounder

Detroit gets:
Trent Frederic
Jack Studnicka
Oskar Steen
2022 1st rounder
2021 3rd rounder

So basically, you are getting Studnicka, 2022 1st, and Steen for Hronek. Frederic and moving up a round for Ryan. All three prospects can play C but Studnicka (22) is the get here for me. I think he has the ability to be a nice 2C eventually and would go right into our 3C as soon as the trade is made. Reminds me of Fabbri only more natural at C than Fabbri. Frederic (23) brings the attitude and fury, although, I would tell him to fight less and use his talents more on offense. He has some offensive talent and can play C or W. Would be a very good 3rd liner with upside still. Steen (22) is a very interesting player who is doing really well at AHL right now. As for the picks, any picks we can get in 2022 will be valuable. The other is just to get the deal done and I'm figuring we will be getting some more back from other trades (Glendening/Nemeth, etc...).

I actually thought about a Marc Staal/Ryan deal here instead but decided to go big and get some young guys who are ready along with some picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad