Speculation: Trade Speculation / Untouchable Players Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think Ottawa is looking for a winger to Spezza? Phoenix probably also could use another top-6 winger and I believe there's been some rumors of them looking for that (in exchange for defense so similar trade as what Pens are looking for as well).

Yeah i heard about those teams as well, but i don't see either of them making a big move giving up lots of assets when they might not even be a playoff team.

It might not take as much as we think to get one of these big players if there aren't many buyers for top 6 wingers.

I'd love to see LA get Gagner so it would take them off the list of buyers for top 6 wingers.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Grabs is good on the PK but we know he would never play it if he played for the pens, this team just does not take any chances killing penalties anymore.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Every time Adams gets sent out there it should be considered 'taking a chance'.

:handclap: That was pure gold, Jerry!

Orpik for Parenteau? Sure, sign me up. Not a big Parenteau fan, and he might turn into a bust, but getting Despres in the lineup is a win for us, no matter the return.

As for the third line talk, I think it's not a stretch when I say the '08 and '09 FOURTH lines were better than our current THIRD line.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
You misunderstood what he meant.

He's saying you can have an incomplete top-6 if you have a dominant 3rd line.

The question you have to ask yourself is: can the Penguins have a dominant 3rd line with the personnel they have? It's possible they are 3 players away from a dominant 3rd line.

I've been saying this all year, Before Shero goes out and look trades the farm for Sid's new winger he should make the 3rd line more dominant. Sutter is fine, find him 2 responsible wingers that can chip in the playoffs. Bergenheim is one I like a lot, I think he would be a solid addition

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I might be in the minority here with this, but I am ok with the top 6 as it is, mostly because of the stuff mentioned over and over, as in coaching, the trades made last year that didn't help, etc.

I think this team needs to cut the fat instead of adding to it. Orpik being moved so Despres can be up is one, having Gibbons and Megna in over Kobasew and Adams is another.

And yes, I am a big time homer for Gibbons, I love how people crush on college kids others sign, but we have one that is doing well and he's not good enough for whatever reason.

This team is better off targeting some decent UFA's in the off season when vacancies are more certain.

I pretty much agree with your entire sentiment. And moving Orpik for a young guy like Despres or Bortuzzo to step in wouldn't just improve our line up and give those young guys experience; trading him would also bring back significant assets that would make our team a lot better long term.

The other thing is: we haven't seen this team (even sans Dupuis) otherwise completely healthy. I think a healthy Bennett and Megna are going to significantly help with our team.

There's just one issue that really complicate things:

The injury to Dupuis changed things. No, he is not the long-term answer to Sid's winger issue. But I believe if he didn't get injured, that would not be our team's biggest problem. But because he's not healthy, it's causing the Pens to consider a course of action they may not otherwise be considering (trading for a guy like Vanek, rather than waiting till the summer and look at the UFA crop).

If we had Dupuis + Bennett + Megna all healthy and contributing, our forward group could be one of the better ones we've had in a long time. It would push all those other guys (Kobasew, Pyatt, etc.) out of the line up, and keep Vitale and Gladams where they belong: on the 4th line, not the 3rd line. I fear that Dupuis injury might cause Shero to make a dumb decision.

Take Staal off that line and it is still worlds better than what we have now. Worst bottom 6 in the league right now, and trickle down wingers aren't going to fix it.

McGinn is a great start for the third line. Setoguchi even. Get Talbot as a throw in with McGinn for the 4th line. Let Bennett play with Sid. Depth.

I appreciate your sentiment, but I don't think you realize just how much it's going to cost us to get one, let alone two, players at the deadline when prices sky-rocket. And Talbot is not a throw in. COL traded a very productive player for them in Downie to get Talbot. They obviously want his leadership/experience he can bring to that young team, so even he wouldn't be cheap at the deadline.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to give up Despres for McGinn, or McGinn + Talbot. With a healthy line up, I don't believe Talbot is a significant upgrade. McGinn is a nice player, but I wouldn't want to move a valuable asset in Despres for him. I think we could do better for Despres, and/or would rather package Despres with our 1st rounder and get a higher-category of player than McGinn.

Like I've said: I don't think we need to add a 3rd liner to our team -- no matter how good guys like McGinn or Steve Ott are. I believe we need a legit top line RW for Crosby's line, which will automatically push Dupuis down to the 3rd line with Sutter and Megna going forward for the next few seasons. That is the smart play. It kills 2 birds with one stone, and it would more significantly improve our team than just trading for a 3rd liner. And if we traded for both seperately, we would find ourselves sapped of MANY assets, which we cannot do after what happened last year and not having our 2nd rounder already for this season.

I was trying to think of all the teams that are looking for top 6 wingers, besides LA and pgh what other teams have we heard looking for top 6 wingers?

Well, according to the TSN panel, they say there are "double-digit" teams calling about Moulson, and even more calling about Ott. That's going to drive the asking prices a lot higher, and I don't want to get into a bidding war over rentals.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What's everyone's take on Vanek? Disregard cost, free agency and all that. Could he be Sid's longterm winger?

I'd say the negatives are he's not a great skater. Isn't great defensively. And has been known to coast for stretches.

Positives. He's one of the best snipers in the game. RHS. Probably the very best in the league, or right up there with Perry, at working the front of the net and tipping pucks. I'd say that's what intrigues me most. The Boston series made it blatantly obvious that we really could use some guys that score goals in tight. If DB wasn't DB, I'd say he would replace Kunitz on the top PP the moment he was traded here. He's still only 30, and has the type of game that won't fall off anytime soon.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
What's everyone's take on Vanek? Disregard cost, free agency and all that. Could he be Sid's longterm winger?

I'd say the negatives are he's not a great skater. Isn't great defensively. And has been known to coast for stretches.

Positives. He's one of the best snipers in the game. RHS. Probably the very best in the league, or right up there with Perry, at working the front of the net and tipping pucks. I'd say that's what intrigues me most. The Boston series made it blatantly obvious that we really could use some guys that score goals in tight. If DB wasn't DB, I'd say he would replace Kunitz on the top PP the moment he was traded here. He's still only 30, and has the type of game that won't fall off anytime soon.

For sure he can put the puck in the net, a great sniper.

I know it's not right to do this but looking at his career playoff numbers, it's really nothing special. I don't know if he is the answer, but what I do know is I don't want him if it's only going to be for a rental. If he doesn't come with an extension, then it's a no for me

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

The pens don't have the cap space to sign him long term, and i doubt he wants to be here long term, the question is if he would fit with Sid this year on RW.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009

He's not a good skater now, what will that be like in three seasons? I'm also not sure if I've ever seen him play RW.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The pens don't have the cap space to sign him long term, and i doubt he wants to be here long term, the question is if he would fit with Sid this year on RW.

Well they would have to move Letang in the off season if they would want Vanek here long term. It's a decision Shero needs to make regardless of Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad