Speculation: Trade Speculation / Untouchable Players Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Last year, as we approached the trade deadline (in our pursuit of Iginla) I created a post discussing the "regrettability" factor in trading any of the Penguins players.

Basically, "how much would/could we regret this in the future." I'm doing it again this year but combining it with a topic that's been pretty "hot" the past few weeks: untouchable players. This is obviously speculative on our part, since we can't know exactly what the organization is thinking, but ... who cares!

Regrettable Scale: 1 (Craig Adams) - 10 (James Neal)

The untouchables

1. Sidney Crosby/Evgeni Malkin (1000000) - Both untouchable, neither will be traded, both would make you regret it in the morning.

2. James Neal (10) - There are few wingers in the league better than James Neal, and maybe none better for Evgeni Malkin's RW. He's a 40-goal scorer and a PPG player who has not only shown a remarkable scoring touch and chemistry with Malkin, but has taken the next step in improving his grit and physicality.

Not Untouchable, but pretty darn close

3. Olli Maatta - (9) Already in the NHL at age 19, the kid has the physical tools and hockey IQ that could see him playing top-pairing minutes in the not-so-distant future. His age, skill set and contract combine to make him one of the most-valuable assets in the organization, and not one they will be in a hurry to move.

4. Kris Letang - (8.5) One of the most physically gifted players in the NHL, Letang's issues - if there are any - are between the ears. One of the most polarizing players among fans, Letang has the ability to turn defense into offense as fast as anyone in the league. While the Pens are rich in defensive prospects, they don't have anyone like Letang waiting in the wings.

A big part in his ranking is his regrettability score. If Letang were to be traded to another team and that team was able to reign him in, turning him into a 60pt d-man who can bring a consistent defensive game and physical edge? It would be worse than any fleecing Shero has pulled off.

5. Paul Martin (8) - While not as flashy as Letang, many would argue that Martin is the Penguins' best defenseman. A steady player who can play 25-minutes+ a game while shutting down the opposition's top lines AND providing a calming presence on the top PP unit, Martin went from whipping boy to underpaid in just over a season.

Martin's regrettability score is not based in the fact that he would move on to become a better player, but simply the fact that he is one of the Penguins' best, and losing him would leave a gigantic hole on the back-end.

6. Chris Kunitz (8) - Similar to Martin- Kunitz's RS is based on the hole he'd leave on the roster if the Penguins were to move him. At 34 he's likely about to hit a downturn in performance, but for now, he's likely the "Crosby's Neal" everyone has been pining for.

7. Beau Bennett (8) - Perhaps an awkward inclusion for some, Bennett's inability to stay on the ice has tarnished him in the eyes of some Penguins fans.

When healthy, Bennett has proven that he can not only play the RW with Crosby or the LW with Malkin, but look like he belongs while doing it. His smarts, responsible play and grittiness make him effective on any line, but his hockey IQ and creativity make him a perfect, much-needed match for the two superstar centers.

Moving Bennett would be filling one hole and creating another.

8. Derrick Pouliot (8) - Pouliot showed why the Penguins drafted him so high at the WJC, where he was Canada's best player over the course of the tournament.

PPQB, smart, good decision making, a good shot, and not an abject failure in his own end, Pouliot will bring something to the Penguins back end that they haven't had since Sergai Gonchar ole'd his way to Ottawa.

9. Scott Harrington (8) - Smart, great awareness, good skating, good along the boards. Harrington will likely never light the world on fire, but he should be the perfect replacement for Rob Scuderi down the road.

Touchable, but only for the right price

10. Simon Despres (8) - big, strong, physical, good skater. Whatever. My love for Despres is well-documented. I'd have him in the previous tier, but I don't think the Penguins feel the same way, and I'm trying to keep this fair/"honest."

11. Brandon Sutter (6) - As with Neal, Kunitz, Bennett - Sutter has good value and would likely be coveted by more than one team, but moving him for a winger would only create another hole at 3C. Some would argue that's a fair trade, but it's likely one that Ray Shero isn't interested in pursuing. I don't have Sutter's RS as high, simply because I think he is what he is: a good 3rd-line center. I don't think there's any untapped potential there. The team DOES need to help him out with better wingers, though.

12. Brian Dumoulin (8) - So I haven't been all that impressed with what I've seen from Dumoulin, but the team and many observers have been. He's big (6'3, 200lbs) and a good skater. He doesn't have a mean streak (though I'm sure he could develop) and the team trusts him on the PK and the PP. This score and position is a mix of my thoughts (i'd have him lower) and the team's thoughts (they'd likely have him higher).

13. Matt Niskanen (6) - A throwaway before the season, Niskanen has shown that, while he shouldn't be counted on to be a consistent top-4 guy, he's able to occasionally flash a brilliant performance. I have his RS this high because while moving him would allow someone I want to see play (Bortuzzo) to get into the lineup, Niskanen provides nice depth in the even of injuries to Martin and Letang. He's able to step up on the PP, he's not soft, and he can move the puck.

The biggest questions around Niskanen will be answered in the playoffs.

14. Brooks Orpik (4) - a veteran leader and a physical presence, Bruce has been a fixture on the Penguins back end since before the league was founded. To many, Orpik seems to be on the tail end of his career (and falling rapidly), but it's clear that the team (and others around the league) still hold him in high regard. Moving him would likely open up the spot for a cheaper, younger, better player, and I don't see him going on to anothert team and making a huge difference, but ... okay.

15. Robert Bortuzzo (6) - Bort will never put up big offensive numbers, but he is big, physical, and has a lovely mean streak. That, combined with his skating ability, make him ideal to be the eventual replacement for someone like Brooks Orpik. Given his age and contract status, I think losing Bort would likely be more regrettable than losing someone like Orpik. I also think Bortuzzo can continue to get better with playing time.

Touch, PLEASE!!!!

16. Jussi Jokinen (5) - A consistent player who provided some much-needed offense leading up to the playoffs in 2012, Jokinen has been a perfectly acceptable player on the Penguins roster. But he's a soon-to-be UFA who won't get a sniff on Crosby's line, isn't ideal for Malkin's line and doesn't have enough grit for Sutter's line, so the Penguins will likely move on from him in the off-season rather than pay him $3MM to be an awkward fit on a roster in need of some tweaking. I'm not sure Jokinen has much value to begin with, but if the right deal came along, I'm sure the Pens would pursue it.

17. Tanner Glass, Craig Adams (-10) - **** off

Not mentioned:

Marc-Andre Fleury (???) - He has value, but the Penguins cannot move him. Maybe they look to Ryan Miller in the off-season, but for the rest of this season, Fleury's presence on the roster is as necessary as anyone's.

Rob Scuderi (5) - I didn't want Scuderi brought in in the first place, and I don't think, to-date, he's proven me wrong, but he (along with the rest of the defense) has been injured for much of the season, so what I'll say is this: the Penguins just signed him. They aren't trading him.

The Goalie Prospects (???) - I don't know much about them, because they aren't biscuit-minded goal scorer things, so I don't pay attention, but the team made a concerted effort to improve organizational depth at G. They aren't going to move it now.

JOE VICTORY (1,000,000,000,000,000) - No point in moving him, really. And unlike years past, Vitale has earned Bylsma's trust, centering the 4th line, getting time at 1RW, playing on the 3rd line, etc... He's cheap, he's great at face-offs, and he's a ball of energy. Perfect 4th liner.

Megna, Gibbons, Conner, Sill, Zolnierczyk - The Pens AHL depth has been vital to their successes this year. They likely don't have a lot of value league-wide, so it would be prudent to keep them around (especially Gibbons and Megna) to see just how high their ceilings can go.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I get the argument that Sid needs someone that can create with him. It's a fair argument. Although I think you can also argue he and Kunitz could use a sniper/finisher with them. Moulson is that and Bennett really isn't. Just depends what you believe fits better. Acquiring Moulson at least gives you more options.

I don't think Moulson is likely to be a Pen anyway. The asking price is likely to be a 1st round type of asset and maybe more. I don't think the Pens want to pay that for a rental but I could be wrong.

Kunitz functions as a sniper on Sid's line and has since last season. He can also play the digger role, but if he does, don't expect him to consistently play 82. Remember how many nagging injuries he used to get?

Reactions: Hockeyholic

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Where did we make it a priority?

Depth is depth. The third line could use it and that would be the main focus.

Matt Moulson would be a bad 3rd liner or a bad 3rd wheel with Geno and Neal. Whatever assets we would spend on him could be spent on getting someone who fits those roles better than he does. Matt Moulson makes absolutely no sense as a target to upgrade the third line. None.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Eh, the Penguins should not be asking any players they acquire at the deadline to switch wings unless they are actually capable of doing it. That didn't work out so well with Iginla.

But.. but.. but what about the amazing story of James Neal that I'm sure disco doofus referred to frequently when he was telling a hall of famer that he had to play the left side

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Matt Moulson would be a bad 3rd liner or a bad 3rd wheel with Geno and Neal. Whatever assets we would spend on him could be spent on getting someone who fits those roles better than he does.

That line could use an influx of both grit and scoring, and each bring more of the opposite of one another.

I don't really have a problem with either or, it's more that we really don't know which really will have a more profound effect on that line. Scoring seems to be it's biggest problem and then sustained zone time.

How about we just get both then?:laugh:

Kunitz, Crosby, Gibbons/trade
Jokinen, Malkin, Neal
Moulson, Ott, Bennett/Megna
Bennett/Megna/Glass, Sutter, Vitale/Adams

I could live with that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If we're going to nitpick players that can play with Crosby. Moulson can't skate man. So DB wouldn't play him with Sid.

And I'd like to see Stewart there b/c his greatest quality is creating off the rush. Using his speed to push defenders back and unloading his howitzer of a shot. But he needs the space an elite center can create for him to do that.

I think you over think. You'll pimp who you want to see and knock down who you don't.

Matt Moulson would help us blow out teams with bad to average defense. He would put up an assload of regular season points and even score a lot against teams like the Islanders in the playoffs. He wouldn't help any more than Dupuis does against teams with defenses that can slow down Sid though.

False. He would help because he has to be respected on the ice. Teams don't just let perennial 30 goal scorers skate around without someone covering them. That immediately takes 1 more player off Sid, and is without a shadow of a doubt a team has to game plan for. Every single team that has played against Matt Moulson says something about being sure to make it a point to cover him in their pre game meetings. I'll guarantee that.

Some people apparently think Sid not consistently creating off the rush is a matter of choice, not circumstance. He likes to grind up on dem boards.

And how do you know it isn't a matter of choice? Because despite who has has every played with (and he's played with quite a few players before) he has played the exact same way. He likes taking pucks in deep in the zone and then going to work. It's always has been how he played his game.

You and Ogre are like politicians in this thread.

and worse at every single other thing. Moulson is completely 1 dimensional. He can finish. He can't carry the puck. He can't work the boards or cycle. He can't play defense. If Sid is slowed down, Moulson is no better than Dupuis at creating offense on his own. If the chances are there, Moulson will produce more. But against the good teams, Dupuis wasn't blowing chances. The chances simply weren't there. That is what I want from Sid's wing, not finished. Kunitz and Sid can finish. We need someone who can create chances more than someone who can finish them. Someone who can carry the puck a bit and work a give and go. That's not Moulson.

I don't care if he's slow. That is not my problem with Moulson. My problem is that for what he'll cost, he simply doesn't provide enough. I would rather get Ott.

Ogre, the more you describe Moulson the more it just sounds like you have never seen him play. Moulson is fairly one dimensional - he doesn't pass a lot because that's just not how he is inserted into game plans, but he's fantastic at the one dimension. He doesn't score goals just one way. He gets his nose dirty for them and is awesome around the net. He has a strong frame and he can use it, both in the corner, on the boards, and in the cycle. He can get off defensemen checking him, and he has an uncanny ability to find soft spots in defensive coverages where he can unload his shot. Stop projecting that Moulson would do poorly against good teams because you have absolutely no way of knowing that, and honestly, it's just not true.

And your 2nd paragraph is true.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think you over think. You'll pimp who you want to see and knock down who you don't.

And how do you know it isn't a matter of choice? Because despite who has has every played with (and he's played with quite a few players before) he has played the exact same way. He likes taking pucks in deep in the zone and then going to work. It's always has been how he played his game.

You and Ogre are like politicians in this thread.

I'll pimp who I think addresses needs here. We already have enough poor skaters on the team in Pyatt, Adams, Glass and Jokinen where I wouldnt' want to add another.

As for your 2nd paragraph. I'm talking about him being able to more easily navigate his way through the neutral zone under tight checking. That was a big problem in the Boston series. Where they had trouble even gaining the zone. You don't need him to change his game for that to happen.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I just saw an article on bleacher report saying that a trade that would make sense for the Pens would be Sutter AND a FIRST for Sam Gagner... Can anyone explain to me how that makes the pens a better team, or could someone be kind enough to let me in on what those writers were smoking :biglaugh:

Simply: there is absolutely no explanation available for something that stupid.

I like Moulson, but not on this team and not for the price.

Agreed. Maybe I'd take a look at him as a UFA, but I'm not interested in trading any more assets for rentals.

Just for fun and for argument's sake, consider this: Joe Morrow + a 1st round pick (in the best draft in a decade) + a 2nd (ditto) + another 2nd + two decent but not great prospects. Think about just how much that package would be worth in a trade for ONE player.

Who knows: had we put together a package like that last season for just one really good young player, we might not even be talking about having to add anyone right now. So again, I go back to the quality vs quantity discussion. We don't need a boatload of players, and we don't need more 3rd liners. We need ONE really good winger for our top 6 (preferably a RW for Crosby, of course).

I'm just not interested in this rental nonsense any more. All I want is one, young legit top-6 RW. Then, next season, Dupuis gets bumped down to 3rd line LW with Megna on the other side. Two birds killed with one stone: we have greatly improved our 3rd line, which would now have a great "identity", speed, offensive & defensive ability, etc.; and we would have improved our first line and give Sid a long-term winger to play with. This is the only type of move I'm willing to make, and I would be as patient as needed to make this happen.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I'm just not interested in this rental nonsense any more. All I want is one, young legit top-6 RW. Then, next season, Dupuis gets bumped down to 3rd line LW with Megna on the other side. Two birds killed with one stone: we have greatly improved our 3rd line, which would now have a great "identity", speed, offensive & defensive ability, etc.; and we would have improved our first line and give Sid a long-term winger to play with. This is the only type of move I'm willing to make, and I would be as patient as needed to make this happen.

Might not happen until the offseason. Given the limited cap space that everyone is dealing with, we might very well just see a minor deal to upgrade the third line and just rolling with what we got this year. Then some major changes in the summer.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the pens can't get a top RW to play with Sid it might not be a bad idea to get Boyes.

Give BB and Boyes some time with Sid and decide which one is the better fit(like the pens did in preseason with BB and JJ) whichever player loses the completion can play on the 3rd line.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Might not happen until the offseason. Given the limited cap space that everyone is dealing with, we might very well just see a minor deal to upgrade the third line and just rolling with what we got this year. Then some major changes in the summer.

That's fine. Like I said, I will be as patient as I need to be to find the right deal, and I would dangle our 1st rounder and a lot of players if I needed to (even Martin, Letang, Nisky or Orpik if it was pre-deadline, Scuderi or Fleury after the season, etc.) or whatever to boost up the package.

There would be very few players on this team that are truly untouchable: Kunitz, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Maatta and we need to keep at least 2 of Letang/Niskanen/Martin (and I would want to keep Bennett, Megna, Sutter, Archibald at forward, and Bortuzzo, Pouliot, and at least two of Harrington/Despres/Dumoulin).

Obviously, that doesn't mean we need to trade all of those players to get one single player. We would just need to find that right package with 2 or 3 of those pieces. We likely would have to wait, and we would HAVE TO get it right and hit it out of the park with that player, but it is do-able and well within the realms of reason & possibility.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
That's fine. Like I said, I will be as patient as I need to be to find the right deal, and I would dangle our 1st rounder and a lot of players if I needed to (even Martin, Letang, Nisky or Orpik if it was pre-deadline, Scuderi or Fleury after the season, etc.) or whatever to boost up the package.

There would be very few players on this team that are truly untouchable: Kunitz, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Maatta and we need to keep at least 2 of Letang/Niskanen/Martin (and I would want to keep Bennett, Megna, Sutter, Archibald at forward, and Bortuzzo, Pouliot, and at least two of Harrington/Despres/Dumoulin).

Obviously, that doesn't mean we need to trade all of those players to get one single player. We would just need to find that right package with 2 or 3 of those pieces. We likely would have to wait, and we would HAVE TO get it right and hit it out of the park with that player, but it is do-able and well within the realms of reason & possibility.

So you're saying you want Despres gone

stefanh

Aug 13, 2006
Gothenburg
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m
Western Conf teams suggest the Rangers are gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Callahan for Stewart would be a sweet deal for the Blues.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Western Conf teams suggest the Rangers are gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Callahan for Stewart would be a sweet deal for the Blues.

I wish the pens could get Stewart but i don't think they have what the Blues are looking for.

SteelFish87*

Oilers just traded for Fraser.

there goes one of our best trading partners

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I wish the pens could get Stewart but i don't think they have what the Blues are looking for.

That's a great trade for the Blues especially if they can eventually work something out for Callahan and keep him there. I don't think we would be able to offer better than that, we know they don't need any blue liners

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

Blues win if they get that deal through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad