Speculation: Trade Speculation/Be a GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This is a warning being given out to everyone, if you bring this thread off topic and try to make it an OT thread you will be infracted. It is enough work being a Mod that we shouldn't have to continually clean up messes all over the place. This is not a chat board, this is a place to have an intelligent hockey discussion. Use it as such.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Let's get the craziness started.

To Los Angeles:
Marian Gaborik

To Rangers:
Justin Williams
Derek Forbort
LA's 2013 2nd round pick

To Rangers:
Dan Boyle

To San Jose:
Derek Forbort
Christian Thomas
LA's 2013 2nd round pick
FLA's 2013 3rd round pick

And then find a third line center somewhere.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

To Los Angeles:
Marian Gaborik

To Rangers:
Justin Williams
Derek Forbort
LA's 2013 2nd round pick

To Rangers:
Dan Boyle

To San Jose:
Derek Forbort
Christian Thomas
LA's 2013 2nd round pick

I like the premise of a (3) team deal, but I would think Boyle would not cost THAT much.

*Bob Richards*

Players I feel could help that may be available:

Brassard
Letestu
Ott
Regehr
Morrow

Obviously all depending on the price

Definitely interested in Ott. Fans here want that grit and agitation? He's the man for it.

Guy is great on the FO too.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Players I feel could help that may be available:

Brassard
Letestu
Ott
Regehr
Morrow

Obviously all depending on the price

Letestu and Ott would be great. I wouldn't want to pay much for ML however because I have a feeling Lindberg will come over next year and basically become ML for NYR. So I'm not sure that's even worth exploring since OL looks to be a very solid prospect who could fill that role. Hopefully his game translates to NA.

Ott would be a guy I want for a cup run. He's another Avery and as much as a lot of people dislike his antics, that sort of player is missed sorely in their bottom six.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

To Los Angeles:
Marian Gaborik

To Rangers:
Justin Williams
Derek Forbort
LA's 2013 2nd round pick

To Rangers:
Dan Boyle

To San Jose:
Derek Forbort
Christian Thomas
LA's 2013 2nd round pick

Not sure I'd want to give up Thomas for Boyle. Boyle's way too close to the end of the road to be worth Thomas IMO.

EDIT: Not that Boyle isn't "worth" Thomas, he's obviously an established player with a solid track record and Thomas' future is still a question mark, but for the NYR at this point, I don't think it'd be a worthwhile trade. Boyle is what, 36? Are we really a Dan Boyle away from a cup? If not, I wouldn't trade a solid prospect for someone that age.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Letestu and Ott would be great. I wouldn't want to pay much for ML however because I have a feeling Lindberg will come over next year and basically become ML for NYR. So I'm not sure that's even worth exploring since OL looks to be a very solid prospect who could fill that role. Hopefully his game translates to NA.

Ott would be a guy I want for a cup run. He's another Avery and as much as a lot of people dislike his antics, that sort of player is missed sorely in their bottom six.

The great thing with Ott is that he can play center or wing and he can compliment most skill players with his style of play. I was pissed when the Sabres got him.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Really not interested in Boyle. Just have a feeling the asking price is too much. If it was a 2-3rd round pick and a middle of the road prospect, I'd probably entertain it. He has to be a better 5-6 option than what they have now and could help improve the PP. (Not sure if this is even possible.)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
EDIT: Not that Boyle isn't "worth" Thomas, he's obviously an established player with a solid track record and Thomas' future is still a question mark, but for the NYR at this point, I don't think it'd be a worthwhile trade. Boyle is what, 36? Are we really a Dan Boyle away from a cup? If not, I wouldn't trade a solid prospect for someone that age.
No team is ever X player away from being assured of a Stanley Cup. But I feel the team's chances would be greatly improved with Boyle.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Agree on Ott, he'd be a great 3C here.

If Brassard is on the block, I'd love discussing a package of Foligno and Brassard coming here.

Going to be a tough go for the Rangers this year without a 1st round draft pick to dangle.

Tradeable pieces: Pyatt, Boyle, Eminger, Gilroy, Hamrlik, Gaborik (?), Del Zotto (?).

I suspect Gorton and co. will be parting with some prospects soon.

Kershaw

To Los Angeles:
Marian Gaborik

To Rangers:
Justin Williams
Derek Forbort
LA's 2013 2nd round pick

To Rangers:
Dan Boyle

To San Jose:
Derek Forbort
Christian Thomas
LA's 2013 2nd round pick

Would rather keep Forbort than deal him for Boyle. But that's the type of return the Rangers should be looking at for Gaborik.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No team is ever X player away from being assured of a Stanley Cup. But I feel the team's chances would be greatly improved with Boyle.

Not assured, no. But there are safer bets than others. Last year for example, one could have reasonably argued that the team was a Nash-like player (meaning a scoring winger) away from a Cup. This year - it's a real big stretch to say that a guy like Boyle is the missing piece. If he were younger, I'd do that trade in a second, but why trade a solid prospect for a 36 year old when the team has pretty huge flaws up and down the lineup right now?

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Ott would be great, but at what cost? Buff just gave him a 3 year contract last summer and he's one of the few up there who's played up to expectations. He's the kind of player the Sabres have looked for a long time. I feel like the cost would be prohibitive. They're likely to demand serious overpayment. One of Kreider / Miller or at the very least a 2014 1st + someone like Fasth / Lindberg. Too steep for a great complimentary player for my taste but they got a 1st for freakin' Gaustad last year who was a UFA to be too and there are just as few if not less sellers this year.

Kershaw

I would hope they could pry someone like Kyle Clifford from LA as well. Leave the pick out.

Williams + Clifford + Forbort for Gaborik

Friedman:

4. In the March 6 edition of this blog, I mentioned that Vancouver "targeted" a few players in a possible Cody Hodgson deal. Zack Kassian was one, obviously. I also noted Brandon Sutter, who the Carolina Hurricanes love, and made an educated guess at John Carlson (which appears to be true). Canucks GM Mike Gillis said Tuesday there were six players. According to a couple of sources, sounds like the fourth was Erik Gudbranson and the fifth Kyle Clifford. No. 6? Not sure.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/04/luongo-trade-talk-30-thoughts.html

Kings wanted Hodgson for Clifford. He isn't putting up points, but he's still a young PWF type that was a 2nd rounder himself. The Kings once again hit the lottery with their 2nd rounder (like Voynov) and he looks to be a solid 3rd line player with RFA eligibility.

The Rangers hit the lottery with that trade imo. 3 solid building blocks.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not assured, no. But there are safer bets than others. Last year for example, one could have reasonably argued that the team was a Nash-like player (meaning a scoring winger) away from a Cup. This year - it's a real big stretch to say that a guy like Boyle is the missing piece. If he were younger, I'd do that trade in a second, but why trade a solid prospect for a 36 year old when the team has pretty huge flaws up and down the lineup right now?
To try and address those flaws, mainly.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
To try and address those flaws, mainly.

Different strokes I guess.

My point is that Boyle isn't going to be around very much longer. Unless all the other flaws (lack of 1C who plays like a 1C, lack of any sort of offensive talent in the bottom 6) can be fixed to a degree by the time this regular season ends, I wouldn't depend on someone so old to address the D problem, which is, IMO, the smallest of this team's issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad