Rumor: Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd vote no on Stewart

If Callahan wants a deal the Rangers are not willing to give, why not ask him where he would be willing to go, try to work out a trade with that team(s), give permission for that team talk to him about an extension, then move him as a non rental?

What's the worst that could happen? He finds out what other teams think he is worth, and his demands go down, or he finds a team willing to pay his price and his trade value goes up because he is no longer a rental.

Not sure how that works exactly, like to avoid tampering but I would assume there is a mechanism.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I get that he has consistency issues, but if you look at Stewart's entire body of work it's the kind of guy most would be clamoring to get during one of his on seasons. He's a power forward.

I don't know what your definition of power forward is.

If you expect him to play like Lucic, prepare for extreme disappointment. He fights, and hits sometimes. No mean streak, no imposing nature. He's not a powerforward, not at all.

Punxrocknyc19*

Dreger is pimping my posts as his own again. :sarcasm:

Said it before. The Rangers would probably entertain Callahan for Stewart plus a good pick, or Schmaltz or Vannelli. Stewart is a reclamation project. Minimal value due to a large cap hit. Salaries match and the Blues lose a cap commitment for next year while bolstering their roster for a playoff run with a forward who is a perfect fit for the system.

Rangers get a power winger who could rebound, but also entice Stastny as a FA considering the friendship the two have with each other. They also get a good pick, or a good RH PMD prospect.

for the record i think it will be Stewart and Jackman... Rangers had interest in Jackman and it allows Rangers to trade Staal, Stralman or Girardi if someone offers a really good return...

I bet it will be Jackman Stewart for Callahan Boyle.. something like that.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
for the record i think it will be Stewart and Jackman... Rangers had interest in Jackman and it allows Rangers to trade Staal, Stralman or Girardi if someone offers a really good return...

But, why? Jackman at this point is a 3rd pair defenseman.

He doesn't replace ANY of those players.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't know what your definition of power forward is.

If you expect him to play like Lucic, prepare for extreme disappointment. He fights, and hits sometimes. No mean streak, no imposing nature. He's not a powerforward, not at all.

If Power forwards are Lucic and Bertuzzi, then you have about 5 in the NHL at any time.

I think of Nash, Stewart, Kane, as power forwards. They can shield the puck and have the edge to get into positioning. You look at a guy like Pouliot, who has serious trouble when he gets hassled in front of the net, and compare it to a guy that can hold their ground. It's useful.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Ha, power winger. That's VERY generous way of describing Chris Stewart.

He might as well be 5' 8", you'd never know he's 6' 2" the way he plays.

This is just ****ing terrible.

So you're saying you haven't watched him?

He's no Milan Lucic, but he certainly doesn't play like he's 5'8". Get a grip. :shakehead

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Stewart will be hated in NY before the end of March. Please do not let this be true unless a 1st or grade A prospect is included. (With necessary balancing.)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Jackman is left handed and 32. Where is he playing? Are we trading Staal?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I get that he has consistency issues, but if you look at Stewart's entire body of work it's the kind of guy most would be clamoring to get during one of his on seasons. He's a power forward.

I do wholeheartedly agree with this. When Stewart is on he is a beast. An engaged Stewart would be a perfect addition. However I am definitely concerned with replacing the most consistent Ranger over the last stretch of years with a player known for inconsistency. Especially with the ups and downs the Rangers collectively seem to experience.

Not saying "don't do it" but there needs to be more coming back from the Blues.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Ha, power winger. That's VERY generous way of describing Chris Stewart.

He might as well be 5' 8", you'd never know he's 6' 2" the way he plays.

This is just ****ing terrible.

he fights no? He gets a lot of PIM if I recall correctly

If Stewart who is signed comes PLUS a good prospect it has to be considered. I still think Cally signs though

Also could they be thinking Stewart for something other than Cally?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
If Power forwards are Lucic and Bertuzzi, then you have about 5 in the NHL at any time.

I think of Nash, Stewart, Kane, as power forwards. They can shield the puck and have the edge to get into positioning. You look at a guy like Pouliot, who has serious trouble when he gets hassled in front of the net, and compare it to a guy that can hold their ground. It's useful.

Pouliot has trouble in front of the net? What?

Bardof425*

Sent: Jan 31, 2014 10:19a

Western Conf teams suggest the Rangers are gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Callahan for Stewart would be a sweet deal for the Blues.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/429272672430596096

Cally is a better, more versatile player than Stewart, but Stewart+ should be considered. He has great size and pretty good hands. What's his contract status, anyone know?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

talk about roster rollover !!

im not a huge fan of stewart or jackman. not sure they are much of a huge upgrade.

we could be facing a complete sather rebuild here soon.

ugh :help:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I do wholeheartedly agree with this. When Stewart is on he is a beast. An engaged Stewart would be a perfect addition. However I am definitely concerned with replacing the most consistent Ranger over the last stretch of years with a player known for inconsistency. Especially with the ups and downs the Rangers collectively seem to experience.

Not saying "don't do it" but there needs to be more coming back from the Blues.

Callahans offense hasn't been particularly consistent.

More coming back for sure. Maybe even add a 2nd or something to bring back Jaskin.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Stewart may not have the nasty factor of a player like Lucic but he is definitely a power forward in terms of how good he can be in front of the net and around the net.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Chris Stewart has a lot of size he could use in his advantage, the problem is, he doesn't. He is a fast skater, but he never shows the hustle to move his feet. He has a very deceptive shot, but he is never in position to show off his shooting ability. Chris Stewart doesn't fit into the Blues system, and the main reason is, he isn't working hard enough.

Now the question everyone is asking, why is Chris Stewart still playing?

That is an excellent question. After breakingdown Stewart's goals, assists, and time on ice in the 52 games he's played this year, one thing has become obvious. He thrives on the weak.

Stewart's 15 goals this season have come against The Florida Panthers, The Montreal Canadiens (twice), The Colorado Avalanche (twice), The Dallas Stars, The Toronto Maple Leafs, The Columbus Blue Jackets, The Ottawa Senators (twice), The Edmonton Oilers (four times), and the Calgary Flames.

Of the teams he has scored against, only two (Toronto and Colorado) currently sit within the top three of their respected division. Montreal currently holds a wildcard spot in the eastern conference.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Randall-Ritchey/Should-The-Blues-Trade-Chris-Stewart/201/57620

Basically sums up Chris Stewart. To be fair however, he would play better in this system than Hitchcocks.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So you're saying you haven't watched him?

He's no Milan Lucic, but he certainly doesn't play like he's 5'8". Get a grip. :shakehead

That's not insisting that he plays scared or intimidated.

That's me saying he doesn't use his size, at all. And he doesn't, his whole NHL career he hasn't done anything with his ridiculous frame.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Callahans offense hasn't been particularly consistent.

More coming back for sure. Maybe even add a 2nd or something to bring back Jaskin.

I was speaking more to the overall consistency of his game and effort. I would have reservations about the night to night impact of replacing the model of consistency with a player tagged as bringing "inconsistent effort".

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
he fights no? He gets a lot of PIM if I recall correctly

If Stewart who is signed comes PLUS a good prospect it has to be considered. I still think Cally signs though

Also could they be thinking Stewart for something other than Cally?

Stewart is a really frustrating player, and I don't particularly like him, but he still has a very enticing skill set.

Dregger mentioned Callahan in particular, didn't he?

Supposedly there's no extra pick or prospect to come the other way. That's why we're all irritated.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I wouldn't classify Nash as a power forward, he's a skilled big winger. His puck protection ability is below average and he usually opts to deke out defenders rather than using his size to plow through them. He doesn't really utilize his physical attributes in a way that a power forward would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad