Rumor: Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Callahan and Girardi can get 7 years in the open market. The Rangers had to give Lundqvist 7 years. Phaneuf got 7 years. The media asked Nonis why 7 years. Nonis said Dion was getting 7 years as a free agent. According to McKenzie,the Rangers have an issue with 7 years. Why would Girardi and Callahan accept less than 7 years? Unless the Rangers raise the money for lesser years,why would they re-sign? Does it make sense for the Rangers to pay more annual money for one less year? Its very tricky.

The Rangers didn't want to give Lundqvist 7 years. Callahan and Girardi will have to leave a significant amount of money on the table to stay in New York. Henrik got nearly $60M in a market which will be flooded with goalies this summer and there aren't exactly many teams with a need for a $8.5M goaltender. Ryan Miller will be a free agent. How much is he getting as a free agent? Its not $59.5M.

Dustin Brown got 8 years and $5.875M. Callahan wants 7 years for more than $6M. If you look at what Brown got,Callahan isn't out of line to ask for that. Both of them are captains of their team. Similar players. What's it going to cost for 6 years? $7M? Why would the Rangers do that? Callahan can probably get close to $7M or $7M as a free agent for 7 years. 5 years will cost more.

Same thing with Girardi. $5.4M-$5.5M. 7 years. What is a fair number to get him off 7 years? Girardi will be forced to leave significant dollars on the table. 6 times 6. $36M. Girardi can probably get the $6M for 7 years in July.

Both Girardi and Callahan will get their best deals waiting until the summer. If the Rangers trade them on February 7 or March 5,that's the Rangers decision. There will be no shortage of options in the summer. This is the last significant contract for both players.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Callahan and Girardi can get 7 years in the open market. The Rangers had to give Lundqvist 7 years. Phaneuf got 7 years. The media asked Nonis why 7 years. Nonis said Dion was getting 7 years as a free agent. According to McKenzie,the Rangers have an issue with 7 years. Why would Girardi and Callahan accept less than 7 years? Unless the Rangers raise the money for lesser years,why would they re-sign? Does it make sense for the Rangers to pay more annual money for one less year? Its very tricky.

The Rangers didn't want to give Lundqvist 7 years. Callahan and Girardi will have to leave a significant amount of money on the table to stay in New York. Henrik got nearly $60M in a market which will be flooded with goalies this summer and there aren't exactly many teams with a need for a $8.5M goaltender. Ryan Miller will be a free agent. How much is he getting as a free agent? Its not $59.5M.

Dustin Brown got 8 years and $5.875M. Callahan wants 7 years for more than $6M. If you look at what Brown got,Callahan isn't out of line to ask for that. Both of them are captains of their team. Similar players. What's it going to cost for 6 years? $7M? Why would the Rangers do that? Callahan can probably get close to $7M or $7M as a free agent for 7 years. 5 years will cost more.

Same thing with Girardi. $5.4M-$5.5M. 7 years. What is a fair number to get him off 7 years? Girardi will be forced to leave significant dollars on the table. 6 times 6. $36M. Girardi can probably get the $6M for 7 years in July.

Both Girardi and Callahan will get their best deals waiting until the summer. If the Rangers trade them on February 7 or March 5,that's the Rangers decision. There will be no shortage of options in the summer. This is the last significant contract for both players.

What r they RHD that's going to be on the market this year?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Friedman reported the projected $71M cap could be lower by $1M-$1.5M because of the Canadian dollar dropping in value against the US dollar. Its significant because the Canadian teams generate a ton of revenue.

This is from 2 years ago but its holds true today

A secret National Hockey League report detailing the ticket revenues of its 30 teams provides additional ammunition for those suggesting more struggling U.S.-based teams should be relocated to Canada.

The confidential document shows that the six Canadian NHL clubs last season accounted for about 33 per cent of the $1.2 billion (U.S.) in league ticket revenue. In 2007-08, Canada's six teams represented 31 per cent.

The report, which was obtained by the Star from several league sources, suggests operating a club north of the border is much more lucrative for the NHL. Five of the top six-revenue generating clubs are based in Canada, with the New York Rangers being the lone team from the U.S. in that group.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2012/01/01/for_nhl_the_cash_is_in_canada.html

The Rogers TV deal is in Canadian dollars. $5.2B Canadian. It was $4.9B US on the day it was announced. Its less than $4.9B today.

Jun 25, 2013
Friedman reported the projected $71M cap could be lower by $1M-$1.5M because of the Canadian dollar dropping in value against the US dollar. Its significant because the Canadian teams generate a ton of revenue.

This is from 2 years ago but its holds true today

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2012/01/01/for_nhl_the_cash_is_in_canada.html

The Rogers TV deal is in Canadian dollars. $5.2B Canadian. It was $4.9B US on the day it was announced. Its less than $4.9B today.

So that actually means...they need us:sarcasm:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Girardi could probably fetch more than Callahan in a trade, but I'd rather hold onto the former than the latter.

It sucks that there's a good chance we lose one or both. Along with Lundqvist, those are the two guys that I always hoped would be career Rangers.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What was the source that said the Rangers were gauging interest in both Girardi and Callahan?

Pierre LeBrun also has the Rangers contacting teams about Callahan. Dreger too. Dreger reported the Rangers are more hopeful about getting Girardi signed than Callahan. LeBrun reported two weeks ago that the Rangers are more hopeful about Girardi. Brooks reported the Rangers and both players are separated by a wide gulf.

Jun 25, 2013
Pierre LeBrun also has the Rangers contacting teams about Callahan. Dreger too. Dreger reported the Rangers are more hopeful about getting Girardi signed than Callahan. LeBrun reported two weeks ago that the Rangers are more hopeful about Girardi. Brooks reported the Rangers and both players are separated by a wide gulf.

Brooks is so full of **** I remember when he said the hank talks were far off than the next day he was signed.... Lebrun said that a GM in the west said that cally name is big in the west and everyone wants him

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Brooks is so full of **** I remember when he said the hank talks were far off than the next day he was signed.... Lebrun said that a GM in the west said that cally name is big in the west and everyone wants him

He's wrong on occasion, but so is every other reporter out there. Brooks is a windbag, but his information on Rangers-related news is usually accurate. I don't think he ever makes anything up, you know? Maybe he receives inaccurate information from a source, but that's just how it goes.

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
7 years on Callahan is a no-sale. He misses 20 games a year to injury due to his play style and he's more of a Torts guy than an AV guy anyway. I have loved him and his contributions to the team but 7/$42 is just stupid to commit to him. I hope he gets moved if these are really his contract demands. Girardi I feel could probably be more useful later into a 7 year deal but that's still a long term for a guy who's already 30.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
As much of a boost having Girardi is, Glen should definitely be listening to offers on him. I'm absolutely not comfortable giving him more than 5 years.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
It's good to read that the NYR are gauging interest in both. They cannot keep both for a playoff run.

Callahan isn't a good investment and honestly that is too much money for the limited skills of G irardi.

I'd like to at least see Callahan go for a good return.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

That's because the Rangers gave Lundqvist the 7th year. The team wasn't playing well. Lundqvist lost a few starts to Talbot. The media started speculating about Lundqvist's future. Lundqvist was terrible and the Rangers need him to be great. What did Sather say in the Lundqvist press conference? Go carry us now. It was a joke but its the truth. The Rangers had a three hour meeting with Newport the night after losing to Winnipeg the previous night(Monday). The Rangers agreed to give Lundqvist the 7th year. The contract was announced on Wednesday morning. Talbot got the start against Winnipeg. Lundqvist looked lost talking to the media earlier that afternoon. They didn't want to give him 7. The Rangers wanted to nip it in the bud before the season was lost.

Jun 25, 2013
I love cally just like everyone else... he's given us great years as a individual player and a captain...but sometimes it's time to depart... morrow did it and iginla did it...captains get traded it happens...it also seems to becoming a new core and a new core could use a new captain... Girardi is more valuable to the team right now it's just strict business...I'd hate to be Sather right now

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
As much of a boost having Girardi is, Glen should definitely be listening to offers on him. I'm absolutely not comfortable giving him more than 5 years.

The issue is why would Girardi take 5 when he will receive multiple offers for 7 in July. McKenzie tweeted the Rangers prefer 5 with Girardi amendable to 6. He will want more money than $5.5M for 6. He will want $6M. Is he really worth that type of money?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The issue is why would Girardi take 5 when he will receive multiple offers for 7 in July. McKenzie tweeted the Rangers prefer 5 with Girardi amendable to 6. He will want more money than $5.5M for 6. He will want $6M. Is he really worth that type of money?

I would give Girardi 6 years/$36M and not think twice.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

No, he isn't.

Which is why I'm so rigid on my stance to trade him.

And I also don't understand why "the cap is going up" is a good excuse to sign bad contracts.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Why do you believe Girardi is worth 6 million a year? Serious question.

Hypothetical: we trade Girardi tomorrow for a prospect or two and a 1st round draft pick. Who are our top 3 D? Who's going to play first pair and 25:00+ per game with McD?

Whoever it is it's going to be a stopgap measure AND it's going to cost us a playoff berth.

Skip to July - which guy (R D) are you signing to replace Girardi as a UFA? Because, whoever it is, he won't be as good as Girardi was.

That's why you sign Girardi.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Hypothetical: we trade Girardi tomorrow for a prospect or two and a 1st round draft pick. Who are our top 3 D? Who's going to play first pair and 25:00+ per game with McD?

Whoever it is it's going to be a stopgap measure AND it's going to cost us a playoff berth.

Skip to July - which guy (R D) are you signing to replace Girardi as a UFA? Because, whoever it is, he won't be as good as Girardi was.

That's why you sign Girardi.

Signing Girardi simply because there's no immediate replacement is not great justification. By that logic, we shouldn't buyout Richards because we have no immediate PP QB replacement.

By that logic, you'd throw a blank cheque at him just to keep the same mediocre team together.

Our D core gets slightly worse immediately, but I highly doubt it costs us a playoff spot. Especially because he's been our second worst defenseman this month, not including Klein.

And who says we can't get a future replacement in a trade? I think Girardi for Barrie + 1st would be a good deal, bump up Stralman and Klein while Barrie develops.

Girardi hasn't played over 24 minutes in close to a month. AV doesn't like giving his top pair insanely high minutes. He likes to roll all three pairs. Similar to Callahan, if Girardi isn't playing 26+ minutes a game, his value goes down.

Traderalways

Oct 27, 2011
I think both are very important players in their past and today.

I think the problem is youre going to pay them for what they did, when neither is likely to keep it up.

But, i'd say Girardi is far less likely to become an albatross than Cally is.

You can almost guarantee Cally is going to be an average 3rd liner within 3-4 years

Cally is VERY AVERAGE now and OVERRATED.... It's a gift beyond gifts for slats to trade him out at the deadline for a nice package of picks and players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad