Trade Rumours and Free Agent Talk: Crickets..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
To continue the discussion from the previous thread, I really don't see the need to trade prime assets for Trouba, certainly not any of the leafs bluechips.

He's not a top pairing guy yet, and a fair chance he never will be either.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nothing new will happen till September. Ya'al enjoy your summer.

We have 3 RFA's going into arbitration at the end of July and early August. Lamoriello said they will acquire a backup goaltender. Matthews will obviously be signed at some point. So something will happen before September, but likely more minor-ish.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
We have 3 RFA's going into arbitration at the end of July and early August. Lamoriello said they will acquire a backup goaltender. Matthews will obviously be signed at some point. So something will happen before September, but likely more minor-ish.

I wonder if there will be moves earlier this year because of the World Cup of Hockey.

At this point, there shouldn't be a huge difference, but you never know how teams will react to not having some players in camp and other things going on.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
To continue the discussion from the previous thread, I really don't see the need to trade prime assets for Trouba, certainly not any of the leafs bluechips.

He's not a top pairing guy yet, and a fair chance he never will be either.

So what would that entail? Like how far below Marner/Matthews/Nylander do you go before you get out of the blue chip territory?

If he's out there and within realistic reach, you'd have to consider going for him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Because we have 2 arbitration cases, doesn't that open up the 2nd buy out window? Will we see Cowen bought out this time?

Long shot, but Lupul buy out?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So what would that entail? Like how far below Marner/Matthews/Nylander do you go before you get out of the blue chip territory?

If he's out there and within realistic reach, you'd have to consider going for him.

The bluechips the Leafs have (imo) are the three prospects you mentioned. Everyone else would be up for potential trade.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Because we have 2 arbitration cases, doesn't that open up the 2nd buy out window? Will we see Cowen bought out this time?

Long shot, but Lupul buy out?

i don't know. like the thing with Lupul is... you know he's gonna get hurt. like it's a given.
the Sky is Blue
Water is Wet
Lupul spends X amount of time on LTIR.

I don' know if i'd add dead cap space to buy him out. just let him serve his two years and poof.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The bluechips the Leafs have (imo) are the three prospects you mentioned. Everyone else would be up for potential trade.

Then it's easily possible to get Trouba using Gardiner+ some non-blue chip prospects. It depends how much management would prefer someone like Trouba over Gardiner + those prospects.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
i don't know. like the thing with Lupul is... you know he's gonna get hurt. like it's a given.
the Sky is Blue
Water is Wet
Lupul spends X amount of time on LTIR.

I don' know if i'd add dead cap space to buy him out. just let him serve his two years and poof.

I guess it comes down to how much you value the roster spot. Might make more sense after this upcoming season.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I guess it comes down to how much you value the roster spot. Might make more sense after this upcoming season.

We've got different guys to move out if we really want roster spots. Plus the Leafs have 11 open spots, excluding buying out Cowen and signing our RFA's + Matthews and a new backup. If all of the following happens, we'd still have 4 open spots. That also excludes possibly moving out guys like Holland, Leivo, Corrado, etc. before the start of the season, or performing a Grabner type deal to acquire a backup.

I don't see why we'd need more than 4 open spots, unless you are signing a lot of ELC's (Piccinich, Cameranesi, Brooks, Desrocher, Walker, Herzog, possibly Vesey), by which time we'd probably trade a few guys to make room for them in the lineup, never mind on the 50-man roster.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It really feels like the Leafs have overstocked on bodies the past couple of years. I really don't think I've seen an organization stocked up like this with so many sort of promising prospects, to the point where it might be difficult to imagine them icing a normal pair of NHL and AHL rosters. I could easily imagine them making another Grabner trade just to get rid of warm bodies. It's almost an issue when you consider they won't have the time or the resources to really properly develop many of these kids.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It really feels like the Leafs have overstocked on bodies the past couple of years. I really don't think I've seen an organization stocked up like this with so many sort of promising prospects, to the point where it might be difficult to imagine them icing a normal pair of NHL and AHL rosters. I could easily imagine them making another Grabner trade just to get rid of warm bodies. It's almost an issue when you consider they won't have the time or the resources to really properly develop many of these kids.

I think there are a couple of things with that

1: they want to create an air of competition. so you need more bodies.

2: you really want to leave zero stones unturned in this process so you should get more assets that are available

3: Dubas had mentioned they really want to utalize the ECHL into a another development pool (and really put money towards this). I know there are some (Mess, Hotpaw) who get really irritated with this - but I truly don't see why. If they can turn the ECHL into another legitimate training/development ground for those who need more time, and we don't have to "lose" them - all we have to tender is a Marlies/ECHL contract why not. it's only MLSE money and it doesn't hurt the Leafs big club at all the way I look at it.

I do think we will see a thinning of the herd soon, but i truly feel they want to make sure they have a good crop first

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think there are a couple of things with that

1: they want to create an air of competition. so you need more bodies.

2: you really want to leave zero stones unturned in this process so you should get more assets that are available

3: Dubas had mentioned they really want to utalize the ECHL into a another development pool (and really put money towards this). I know there are some (Mess, Hotpaw) who get really irritated with this - but I truly don't see why. If they can turn the ECHL into another legitimate training/development ground for those who need more time, and we don't have to "lose" them - all we have to tender is a Marlies/ECHL contract why not. it's only MLSE money and it doesn't hurt the Leafs big club at all the way I look at it.

I do think we will see a thinning of the herd soon, but i truly feel they want to make sure they have a good crop first

4. Not everyone will make it.
As much as everyone has their own personal players they love, Sosh,Brown,Kappy,Leipsic,Bracco,etc., not ever player is going to make a consistent role or maybe even gel with the finished product. We have a certain lineup today that most people see but there might be something totally different. Something not expected. The more bodies, the more chances and better odds of putting 13/14 players together.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
As much as everyone has their own personal players they love, Sosh,Brown,Kappy,Leipsic,Bracco,etc., not ever player is going to make a consistent role or maybe even gel with the finished product. We have a certain lineup today that most people see but there might be something totally different. Something not expected. The more bodies, the more chances and better odds of putting 13/14 players together.

thanks Trap. i don't know why that got cut off yes. not everyone will make iit. which goes into Stephen's fist full of prospects trade. scenario.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

thanks Trap. i don't know why that got cut off yes. not everyone will make iit. which goes into Stephen's fist full of prospects trade. scenario.

Oh I agree with the philosophy, I guess when you're watching the sausage making part of the process it's a little messy looking, and the reality is mistakes will be made here and there.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

maybe this management group does not want JL anywhere near it's players.

maybe they don't want to infect the kids with the kind of so called pro and vet leader that is JL.

it sure sounds and looks like the organisation gives a "lupol who?" response every time they ask about him.

nothing about "he is dong better, hope he returns soon"

they want nothing to do with this GQ Jony and his wall flower pain threshold.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Two trades coming up

Backup
And dman

I also think with all the bodies we have is we are going to do the same as last year.
Return whoever is eligible back to junior

Return whoever is waiver free back to marlies

Then when injuries or trade deadline trades occur replace them with marlies

I think they stick with the plan for at least this year

Look for signs of improvement

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Two trades coming up

Backup
And dman

I also think with all the bodies we have is we are going to do the same as last year.

This is most likely the game plan. I hope the likes of Michalek, Green, Laiche, Bozak, can perform at a level that creates interest from other teams. I would of mentioned Lupul, but who knows whats going on there? Kids will have to be patient if this is the gameplan.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Two trades coming up

Backup
And dman

I pray we hold off on a trade for a dman, at least until mid-season when prices will be more reasonable. If it takes Hall to get Larsson, i have no interest in the Leafs going after Shatty/Trouba/Barrie/etc. and having to overpay. We know Det, Bos and several other teams are still in the market for dmen, so doubt the prices have dropped any.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Two trades coming up

Backup
And dman

So you would consider sending Marner back to the Knights regardless of how he does in training camp because he's eligible?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
So you would consider sending Marner back to the Knights regardless of how he does in training camp because he's eligible?

It depends

If he comes into camp and really impresses and I mean really impresses
Then he stays

If not no harm in returning him to junior

For some they think going back to junior will
Hurt his progress but it's never a bad thing
To be patient and let these kids grow

There are more examples of how kids have been ruined by playing too early then kids
Playing too late. All the good teams let their young players learn at a more
Leisurely pace.

People forget theses guys are so young they hardly shave
Yet we expect them to be our saviour and lead us to the cup

Eventually they will but that time is not this year
We are still 3 to 5 years away from playing for a cup

So short answer I have no problem sending him back to win another
Memorial cup, be on the first line for Canada's junior team and then
If possible join the marlies of leafs down the stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad