Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Callahan is living in fantasy land if he expects 7/42. If some desperate club wants to fork that over like Toronto did with Clarkson to fill a pressing need, go right ahead. It's been nice knowing you Ryan. Good luck!

Some under the cap threshold desperate team with a GM trying to keep his job will view him as the veteran glue and teacher in a rebuild unfortunately for us.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
http://nypost.com/2014/01/31/rangers-want-callahans-future-decided-before-sochi/

and based on brook's assessment it could be made by next weekend

If Callahan were to indicate willingness to agree to the same five-year, $30 million extension Sharks (and Team USA) center Joe Pavelski signed over the summer, the Rangers would jump at it.
But the captain is holding firm to a request/demand of a seven-year extension worth a minimum of $42 million he first presented over the summer. Sather has no intention of signing the embodiment of the organization’s work ethic to a seven-year extension.

And as the GM has no intention of allowing Callahan to walk on July 1 without getting anything in return, he is being proactive. If an interested third party is willing to meet Callahan’s demands for an extension, the Rangers would be able to get more in return for the winger than they could as a rental property.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This may just be me, but I wouldn't want my kids and grandkids to be set on my money and never have to work an honest day in their lives.

I've said I don't fault Callahan, but I wish a guy we gave the captaincy to placed some value, if any, on playing here. Maybe he wants to give the extra 12 million to charity, if so, you're fighting the good fight.

I have also shown, through diminishing utility, that each million from 31 to 42 is worth less than millions 1 to 30.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The Ridley-miller trade is the only one i never let go of, simply because of its sheer stupidity. The Leetch, Graves and Messier decisions were completely responsible. I celebrated Patrick-Larmer like V-E day.

Oh, absolutely (although Patrick was my favorite player at the time). My point is that a Callahan trade would be similarly responsible.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Chris Stewart is not what I want. But he produces as much offense as Callahan despite being as lazy as the other guy is hard working.

Theres always the chance Stewart comes here and compliments somebody well, but chances are he'll just struggle and piss people off more than Callahan pisses us off.

They need assets. Young assets, primarily centers.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
the track record of UFA in the NHL is what im basing my assessment on. Guys follow money and security.

My point is that fans are ignorant if they think a guy chooses a place to work simply and solely because of his decision and his decision only. These guys are millionaires. Ultimately, yes its technically their decision, but the decision isnt a haphazard one.

The decision is made with the help of family, union reps, agents, accountants, other players etc.

In the Army, we call it IPB - intelligence preparation of the battlefield. You dont make critical decisions without knowing every gnats-ass detail and analyzing every piece of information.

Your right about the track record of these things. Your right in that the player has to involve his family's wishes in matters.

I respect you as a professional and as someone who has seen how a highly class constructed organization operates, that you know how it works in those type of organizations.

Where I disagree is that union reps, accountants, or agents should steer you in any direction. They should give you the information and then you do. There is a universal law called the law of free law. No one has a right to impose their will on another if that person doesn't willfully agree.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
http://nypost.com/2014/01/31/rangers-want-callahans-future-decided-before-sochi/

Kind of frustrating. We're offering him the same contract as Pavelski, who I'd dare to say is a superior player, and he flat out rejects it. Same age and similar skillset (Pavelski is better offensively), yet the C has probably gone to his head. Guarantee Callahan and his agent thought Sather would cave for the captain.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Chris Stewart is not what I want. But he produces as much offense as Callahan despite being as lazy as the other guy is hard working.

Theres always the chance Stewart comes here and compliments somebody well, but chances are he'll just struggle and piss people off more than Callahan pisses us off.

They need assets. Young assets, primarily centers.

Agreed. Stewart ONLY if he comes with the ever popular ++.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
This may just be me, but I wouldn't want my kids and grandkids to be set on my money and never have to work an honest day in their lives.

I've said I don't fault Callahan, but I wish a guy we gave the captaincy to placed some value, if any, on playing here. Maybe he wants to give the extra 12 million to charity, if so, you're fighting the good fight.

I have also shown, through diminishing utility, that each million from 31 to 42 is worth less than millions 1 to 30.

You don't know what he wants to do with the money. Maybe he plans to start up a company where his kids and grandkids can eventually work? I don't know either, but it's not for me to know.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011

It may end up that all of this is the typical posturing and negotiation tactics. Cally's agent is going to work and so is Sather. Yeah, we all wish Cally would Dustin Brown it into Sather's office, but that happens very, very rarely.

I can see it end up being 6.2 for 6. The agreed on money, difference is the term, split the difference, stay a Ranger, go bring us a Cup.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Paying for intangibles isn't always overpaying.

Id still like an answer to my question, either from ImIdaho or someone else. What is Callahan worth in comparison to J Staal and Cammalleri?

You could see how Cammalleri warranted that pay, kind of. He did hit 50 pts. more than once (Has an 80 pt. season under his belt, almost a 40 goal season, too.). Jordan definitely got overpaid as he hit 50 pts. only once and that was from playing with a team consisting of Crosby, Malkin, Kunits, Neal.

The problem is Callahan has a history of injuries compared to the other two. I'd probably change my tune if it was just one fault rather than two: Cally only getting 50 pts. once but rarely got hurt, Cally getting hurt often but was a consistent 50+ pts. getter.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I also wonder if this is a business decision OUTSIDE of hockey.

Primarily, jerseys. Callahan's is one of the best selling sweaters in the NHL, and 2nd best on the Rangers (behind Hank, I believe).

I'm always told hockey is a business...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Am I the only one that wouldn't want to sign him for 5 years for 30 million bucks? I think that he is worth more in a trade for us than he's worth to the team, now that he's not a mainstay on the PP. He's also not the same energy player that he was a few years ago. IMO the team that trades for him WILL get that energy from him, he's an emotional player and I bet he'll be going full throttle.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

There are ways it can be structured so that you guarantee their safety and security without allowing them to be total societal parasites.

Personally, I would set it up so that my kids and grandkids got the best possible educations and had the freedom to choose to be artists, entrepreneurs, etc. without worrying about basic needs. But if they want three homes, a Ferrari and a private jet, then they need to go out and earn that money themselves.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Am I the only one that wouldn't want to sign him for 5 years for 30 million bucks? I think that he is worth more in a trade for us than he's worth to the team, now that he's not a mainstay on the PP. He's also not the same energy player that he was a few years ago. IMO the team that trades for him WILL get that energy from him, he's an emotional player and I bet he'll be going full throttle.

Maybe the contract talk is weighing on him?

Not that they're the same caliber, but look at Hank. He had the worst stretch of his life up until he was signed. Not long after that...well, you're watching the games. He's been a wall lately.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

You are not the only one. I've been beating that drum for a while.

I'd be willing to trade Girardi for the same reason - but he is more durable, plays a more important position and seems to be willing to come back on a favorable deal, so it may make sense to keep him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe the contract talk is weighing on him?

Not that they're the same caliber, but look at Hank. He had the worst stretch of his life up until he was signed. Not long after that...well, you're watching the games. He's been a wall lately.

Your memory is fuzzy. He played WORSE after he signed. The horrible December stretch was AFTER he signed. Then he started playing a lot better starting with the Florida game or a game before that. He really took off against Chicago, though still was giving up more softies than we're used to (at least in the regular season).

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
If the rumor is true that there is a 5 year 30 million dollar deal on the table and Cally wont sign it, then trade him and good riddance. If Cally doesn't sign that contract he is one greedy hockey player

Greedy? No.

First of all, maybe he wants out of NYR, maybe he has a plan and maybe Sather knows of that plan. I'm not saying Callahan doesn't like being a Ranger, but maybe he'd rather finish his career elsewhere, somewhere with his family, somewhere that will pay him more or as much as the Rangers will in the form of a retirement contract. If Callahan and Sather spoke at the beginning of the year and Cally told him he didn't want to re-sign here, then it becomes a game of chess in getting a maximum return for him. You don't just come out and say "Callahan is not signing with the Rangers next year." That would do nothing for his value. So perhaps this has been the plan all along and Callahan and his agent are asking the world because he knows they aren't coming back to NYR. This happens all the time with players who want to move on. Look at Kovalchuk in Atlanta. They were willing to pay him well what he was worth, but he and his agent asked for even more because it was their way of saying, "Sorry we're not interested."

I'm not saying this scenario is what is happening right now, but it is one theory I have why Callahan is asking for a ridiculous 7/42 contract from Sather.

The other theory is he just wants to get paid and actually believes he is worth that contract. That still doesn't make him greedy, he's got to look out for his family and financial future post hockey. I gave Drury a lot of **** for handcuffing the Rangers and not just retiring from his contract when he basically could not play any more. Looking back I was wrong, and he did what was best for himself and his family. It's a business and if there is one thing I learned working for a big company with a union it's that the company will try and screw the union any chance they get. So I don't blame Drury or Callahan for getting what they earned from the Rangers or the NHL.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
you guys arent alone i still think 5yr 30m is still ridiculous for him..

maybe 6-30m or ideally 5x25m.. i dont see how he should get paid the same as either of those sharks, and ask for more then what horton got last year, backes oshie, kesler etc.. hes in that ball park of players and

highest aav i give him is maybe a 3yr18m.. got to cut ties, it sucks but not worth it for intangibles.. we have other leaders on this team that can step up.. Staal will be the next captain, which is a great choice as well

Vidic15*

screw the business, I've had a longstanding dream of watching Cally hand the cup to Hank.

If you ask me, trading Cally is a message to the club that they don't matter to management. get ready for another decade of mercenary play.

I've got news for you. It will just be a dream. Callahan is a pathetic captain. He isn't worthy of washing Messier's jock. Anybody see Shane Doan's interview after their loss the night before last? A true captain who takes ownership for his team's poor play. He spoke honestly without any of the cliches we constantly hear from Callahan. Captain Quaalude

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Your right about the track record of these things. Your right in that the player has to involve his family's wishes in matters.

I respect you as a professional and as someone who has seen how a highly class constructed organization operates, that you know how it works in those type of organizations.

Where I disagree is that union reps, accountants, or agents should steer you in any direction. They should give you the information and then you do. There is a universal law called the law of free law. No one has a right to impose their will on another if that person doesn't willfully agree.

I dont think they impose their will. They just advise and assist. Im sure Callahan has already received opinions on both St. Louis and Columbus in terms of tax rates, school systems, real estate, team environment, etc.

In the end, its always his decision (or his spouse, as we saw with Pronger and Texeira). My point is that he shouldn't be vilified or character assassinated simp,y because some guy just nought his son a Callahan jersey and now he's gone.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Your memory is fuzzy. He played WORSE after he signed. The horrible December stretch was AFTER he signed. Then he started playing a lot better starting with the Florida game or a game before that. He really took off against Chicago, though still was giving up more softies than we're used to (at least in the regular season).

I ought to know better than to use Hank as an example with you, :naughty:

But still, you don't expect someone's play to just take off magically as soon as it's signed. It could take some time. Let me ask, if Hank were still unsigned, do you think he'd still be playing at the level he is now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad